Format wars.. Blu Ray makes a wimper introduction
Aug 28, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #46 of 52
The Blu-Ray launch always seemed rushed and unnatural to me.

The general reaction of the public will be "BD players don't play DVDs? Why the heck not? What am I going to do with my DVD collection? Just throw it away?"

I think BD always knew it would lose but tried anyways.

Aug 28, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #47 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
not sure if id be considered a fanboy
smily_headphones1.gif

but then I sit 8 feet away from a 98" display.
biggrin.gif

b/c youre a fanboy.
biggrin.gif

HD definately does make a difference on large 720p screens, but its still a formula based on screen size/seating distance and most people will not see much of a difference

Aug 28, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by spudman

Now, with around 400 dvd titles, I have another choice to make. I've been on the losing side of beta/vhs too, by the way, because beta was the first with hifi audio. (I also bought more than one copy of The Fifth Element.) I think I choose to leave the dvds alone for now. It still falls under the good enough category. Dvds look pretty darn good at 720P. I guess this means I am not a videophile. Plus, when I bought the dlp, there was no hdmi. So, I've just got component or dvi inputs. The expense of upgrade at this time is not justified.

i agree, and untill i can afford a true 1080p display 50"+ in plasma or SED i will probibly hold off on HD-DVD.

i have alot of obscure DVDs and it will be years(if ever) before they are updated to HD, i dont want to spoil the enjoyable experience i have now by pixel peeping.

dont get me wrong i am really excited about the format and the technology but its in its infancy, those with disposable incomes are the ones that dont care.

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #49 of 52
IMO differences can still be seen between sd dvd and hd dvd on flat screen 720p sets. I used to be happy with 480p material upconverted to 1080p via dcdi faroudja yada yada yada, then I got an hd tuner and watched over the air hd signals and the local hd channels absolutely blew away my dvd movies. This was when I realized that sd dvd even upconverted wasnt using what the display was capable of. I thought to myself that hd dvd must look as least like the hd channels which in turn already blew away 480p movies upconverted.

it was nice to find that hd dvd blew away my local hd channels
lambda.gif

1080p front projectors are not cheap, so Ill wait it out until prices drop in a few years. By then I should have a healthy collection of 1080p material. 1080p projectors are $10k, since I upgrade the projector display every 3 years or so, Im hoping 1080p front projecton will be a lot cheaper in the future.

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #50 of 52
There's an article in the latest Wired saying (as far as I understand it) that if the PS3 tanks, Sony is a goner. As it is, Sony is going to lose hundreds on every PS3 sale for several months after its release due to production costs, despite the $600 pricetag. If Sony goes down, won't Blu-Ray go down with it?

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #51 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
There's an article in the latest Wired saying (as far as I understand it) that if the PS3 tanks, Sony is a goner. As it is, Sony is going to lose hundreds on every PS3 sale for several months after its release due to production costs, despite the $600 pricetag. If Sony goes down, won't Blu-Ray go down with it?

Under-pricing consoles isn't a unique practice. Companies sell the consoles for less to improve their market share and make up for the costs by selling more video games, and in Sony's case put more blu-ray players on the market.

Aug 30, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie
Under-pricing consoles isn't a unique practice.

Ah, I see - that makes sense.

But if Sony disappears, won't Blu-Ray disappear too? Anyone care to wager the chances of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back