For those who are planning on getting Sennheiser HD598, DONT
Jan 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #76 of 105
Agreed. I didn't particularly care for the HD598 off my Fuze, but once I hooked it up to my E7/E9 off my netbook, it really brought out a nice sound out of these. I definitely don't find the HD598 easy to drive properly. My Fuze MAXED out isn't even able to drive them loud, let alone efficiently.

Though the sound signature isn't my cup of tea for music, they really shine for gaming.

If anyone likes the K70x, they will most likely like these too, as they are actually even more balanced, though not as ridiculously analytical.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #77 of 105

Quote:
Quote:
2. Just stop listening to hip hop music.  It's not really music anyway.  Real people don't listen to that stuff which is only appreciated by the underclass.

That might be one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard or seen anyone say. I really hope you were joking/trolling/making fun of people who actually think that.

+1, but he probably isn't.  Ignorance is bliss, right? :)

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #78 of 105
I have the HD-555 and the HD 380 Pro. Got the HD-598 3 weeeks ago. they are broken in & they beat the crap out of the other 2 cans. I run them on a XONAR STX card.As for music I listen to streaming Smooth Jazz.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #80 of 105
I finally heard the 598 at my university bookstore. I was unable to use my own source but the sound was impressive- they're at least as good as my 595s.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #81 of 105
I guess it all has to do with who is listening.

My hearing is very sensitive. I do NOT blast my phones.

I had my HD555s hooked up(for music, gaming, movies on the PS3) to the television, via 3.5mm jack, and I've used a Y-cable as well. Once I bought an a/v receiver, the 555s really opened up(optical connection). I'll be getting the 598s soon. If the 598s have as much bass as the 555s, then that's plenty. I don't want phones with no bass or phones with excessive bass.

I feel that the 555s bass is just right, amped. So the amp is defiantly needed.

Why would the 598s be any different?

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #82 of 105
Quote:
I guess it all has to do with who is listening.

My hearing is very sensitive. I do NOT blast my phones.

I had my HD555s hooked up(for music, gaming, movies on the PS3) to the television, via 3.5mm jack, and I've used a Y-cable as well. Once I bought an a/v receiver, the 555s really opened up(optical connection). I'll be getting the 598s soon. If the 598s have as much bass as the 555s, then that's plenty. I don't want phones with no bass or phones with excessive bass.

I feel that the 555s bass is just right, amped. So the amp is defiantly needed.

Why would the 598s be any different?

If you found the HD 555 bass plenty, you'll love the HD 598 trust me. The HD598 is a significant improvement over the HD555 (with foam mod) in bass, soundstage, midrange, and treble. I just practically listed every aspect of sound huh? My friend with his 595 was very depressed when he heard the 598, and in his own words: "I'm alright with your headphone having a bigger soundstage but the bass... the bass...". 

Since the HD 598s have more bass and treble, you'll be able to listen to music at a lower volume as well. This is why v-shaped (bass/ treble emphasis) cans are great for low volume listening, though really unnatural for loud volume listening. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #89 of 105
People assume that if headphones have 50 ohm impedance they'll be easy to run and will sound great out of anything. It hurts me when people try HD598 or HD558 with an mp3 player or something that is not even good enough to bring out the best out of 50$ cans. These are great headphones, you need a proper source, proper high quality music files and a good amp to get the best out of them, just as you do for the K701, D2000, AD900 or any of the other great  cans in the 250-350$ range. And this is especially true for HD558/598 since they're not really 50 ohm, but almost 400 ohm in the bass / low mid region. Which means, if you want bass, you need an amp.

And they MOST DEFINITELY aren't just slightly upgraded HD595's. They're superior to them in all ways, comfort, build quality, soundstage, sound balance, resolution, clarity, bass, detail, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back