For those which have heard both is there a clear winner? HE-6 / LCD 2
Feb 1, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #76 of 185

Quote:
Having a hard time finding the answer to a rather simple question; which of these two would most likely sound better with electronica/rock? From what I've read it sounds like the LCD-2 would have the better bass of the two, but I'm worried about this supposed reverb effect that could lag down the pace of fast, high energy music. If it helps my current headphone of choice is the Ultrasone PRO 900.

In any case I don't think I'll be able to afford either of these anytime soon anyway.

This would surely be a matter of preference. Both headphones handle rock real well. The HE6 had the bigger sound stage and the LCD2 has deeper bass but no way is the 6 a slouch as the bass is about as good as it gets  just slightly different. I  can enjoy rock on either can and do like the space and air the HE6 has more easy to define  the instruments but both are excellent for Rock

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #77 of 185
If they're both great headphones, really too close to call, and the LCD-2 is now USD 250.00 cheaper than the HE-6, isn't that enough to put it over the top? We'd be leery of comparisons between, say, a USD 100.00 and a 350.00 HP without taking value into account; does the game change once we're over 900.00?

o

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #78 of 185

Quote:
If they're both great headphones, really too close to call, and the LCD-2 is now USD 250.00 cheaper than the HE-6, isn't that enough to put it over the top? We'd be leery of comparisons between, say, a USD 100.00 and a 350.00 HP without taking value into account; does the game change once we're over 900.00?

o

I guess it would all depend on what you want as they are different presentations. I like to say the HE6 puts me ten row and the the LCD2 puts me up front in the hall. The HE6 has bigger soundstage and more air and space and the LCD2 is richer with vocals and more forgiving on recordings. This is tough as I would not be able to decide which one  but i will say they both are amazing cans.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #79 of 185
I liked the bass on the LCD-2 better for electronica. Progressive rock uses a lot of organ, synth, and bass and that's the LCD-2's ace. Not that there is anything wrong with the HE-6, different presentation.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #80 of 185
Nothing wrong with either except the LCD2 is also more forgiving on sibilant recordings. It pulls that off not sure how as I know the Cowboy Junkies Trinity Session were recorded and Margo Timmins is sibilant on everything else I have heard except the LCD2 and for me that makes it a keeper also. Both are excellent. The recording was done in 1988 but sounds great on the LCD2

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #81 of 185

Quote:
Nothing wrong with either except the LCD2 is also more forgiving on sibilant recordings.

This is one of the beautiful things about the LCD-2s in my opinion.
smile.gif

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #82 of 185

Quote:
Quote:
Nothing wrong with either except the LCD2 is also more forgiving on sibilant recordings.

smile.gif

The converse is true as well, that while taming certain sibilant recordings you can actually find the low end of their bass tracks as a bonus.

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #83 of 185
Feb 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #84 of 185

Quote:
Quote:

smile.gif

I agree. And yet I actually find the treble extended -- Hammond organ has smear, muted trumpet has blat, cymbals shimmer and bite. I'd add also that the LCD-2s are able to capture the feel of a live recording like very few other tranducers I've heard. To manage that level of dynamic realism and yet remain unfatiguing -- they're very special, IMO.

best,

o

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #85 of 185
Well after bringing the LCD-2 up to HE-6 territory, the loft that houses the "high-powered speaker rig", I can confidently say that the best of these two headphones is more than ever the one that's currently on my head. If the hallmark of a great can is the overwhelming desire to "turn it up" at all times, and the desire to listen to the dustiest material in one's collection with the freshest of ears, then I think that we have a winner with both of these planars.

If pressed I may admit that the HE-6 seems to be more technically proficient, or that the LCD-2 has a bit more warmth in its response. But that isn't to say that the LCD-2 lack rhythm, or that the HE-6 is anything less than musical in its presentation. In some ways I am glad that they have such different amping requirements, as having them together on the same rig all of the time could present me with too much of a dilemma.

These are both such radically perfect headphones in their sonic presentation that amping requirements could be the only real point of technical separation, meaning if you have a great amp that doesn't quite meet the power requirements of the HE-6 it could still be a great match for the LCD-2. On the other hand, if you are already set up for a K1000 and want to upgrade, the HE-6 could be perfect for you but I still wouldn't rule the LCD-2 out!

Overall I would say that the combination of being easier to drive and the $250 price difference makes the argument quite compelling on the side of the LCD-2. Subjectively, when you add the natural wood housing it wins aesthetically for me as well, but some could easily feel differently and prefer the piano-gloss look of the HE-6.

Either headphone can reach their potential off the speaker terminals of a decent vintage receiver so if you are building a system around either one, amplifier cost shouldn't be a factor. Another subjective thing for myself is the fact that the LCD-2 has such an all-American pedigree, global competitiveness being nothing to sneeze at these days.

So the answer to the OP continues to be no for this listener, and happily so
o2smile.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #86 of 185
Isn't it frustrating, the choices between these two. lol

Ok, I listen to the LCD-2, wow, this is so great, the HE-6 just aren't this good.   HE-6 on my head, wow, this is so excellent, the LCD-2 just aren't this good. . . The LCD-2 on my head, geez, it doesn't get any better than this . . . The HE-6 on my head . . . 

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #87 of 185
^
rolleyes.gif
  rough life!    I cant wait to see how these two play with the Lyr out soon!   I owned both the asgard and valhalla but neither played well with the thunderpants, regardless, excellent amps.

M

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #88 of 185
Keep in mind that the above are initial impressions and the HE-6 may yet justify the extra duckets and wattage lol. Right now comparing the two with some insanely deep bass... Tone-Loc maxi-cd Funky Beats ha ha ha both of these cans go looooowww
L3000.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #89 of 185
I agree, the bass on both is excellent, different, but excellent. I was concerned from what I read that the HE-6 might be a bit bass shy, no way. That hold a beautiful bass note and it sounds natural. I would have normally found a favorite by now, the one I want to keep on the head all the time but they won't both fit at the same time! 

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #90 of 185
I will say while there's so far not a clear winner yet that the LCD-2 does benefit from the additional power provided by the modest speaker amp. The drivers were literally shaking on my head, rattlin' my brain without a hint of distortion I might add. Should I be admitting this on a public forum? Meanwhile my extended journey to the Dark Side continues... Kids don't try this at home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back