For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 6, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #18,241 of 20,950
Man, just got my replacement HD 600 (after over a decade without). I had forgotten how easy it is to get lost in these headphones.

Sennheiser HD 600 < Singxer SA-1 < Mojo 2 < PC (Roon)

264x264.jpg

Speak to Me (2024), Julian Lage. Julian Lage is so good he makes me never want to touch a guitar ever again.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #18,242 of 20,950
Morning work session with a 90's (for me) classic:
Fugees - The Score
TheScore.png

From Tidal to the SMSL DO100, to V200 and ending up in the Kiwi Ears Cadenza's.
Have a great day out there :)

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #18,243 of 20,950
It's just me and my dogs at my house tonight so I'm posted up on my bed with one of them on each side just sprawled out takin' up most of the bed. They make great space heaters! I've got it ice and dark, aside from my laptop and phone screens, and I'm listening to the ThieAudio Prestige LTDs through my Cayin N8ii in tube mode to add a bit of warmth.

On deck in the queue is Echolyn's 2005 album, The End is Beautiful. Personally, this is my favorite from their discography. I know a lot of their fans preferred their work from the early/mid 90s, but for me this one took a big step up in songwriting and production quality. I absolutely love the way they employed the horns/brass on some of these tracks, *Heavy Blue Miles* being a standout example of just how much those parts can add to a track. This one is definitely worth checking out for those of you that haven't heard it and it's certainly worth a revisit for those that have. 🤘😎

ab67616d0000b2734874786c5bd736d9bb689871.jpeg

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #18,244 of 20,950
JRiver MC (PC) >> Schiit Modi Multibit >> Schiit Asgard 3 >> Grado RS-1x :L3000:

theblackchord.jpg

The Black Chord (2012) by Astra - Astra are/were a throwback to the late 60's, early 70's era where psychedelic rock morphed into progressive rock, so lots of mellotron, ARP and Moog synths and of course, lengthy jams. They are basically what you would end up with if you blended early (post Sid) Floyd, King Crimson and Hawkwind and the result isn't bad at all. They've been on Hiatus for ten years or more, so it's unknown whether they will ever make a third album, TooL managed it after 13 years, so there is always hope. Running the Schiits as they are a bit warmer and more laid back than the SMSL stack because the recording is really pushing my Grados to the limit of comfortable listening, much more suited to the D7200's. :darthsmile:

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #18,245 of 20,950
It's just me and my dogs at my house tonight so I'm posted up on my bed with one of them on each side just sprawled out takin' up most of the bed. They make great space heaters! I've got it ice and dark, aside from my laptop and phone screens, and I'm listening to the ThieAudio Prestige LTDs through my Cayin N8ii in tube mode to add a bit of warmth.

On deck in the queue is Echolyn's 2005 album, The End is Beautiful. Personally, this is my favorite from their discography. I know a lot of their fans preferred their work from the early/mid 90s, but for me this one took a big step up in songwriting and production quality. I absolutely love the way they employed the horns/brass on some of these tracks, *Heavy Blue Miles* being a standout example of just how much those parts can add to a track. This one is definitely worth checking out for those of you that haven't heard it and it's certainly worth a revisit for those that have. 🤘😎

I might try that just because of the cover art. Plus you do a good job of describing the music. I'm an old fart and you're going to take me out of my comfort zone. Lol. I just wrote it down so I'll see if I can find it on Amazon HD later.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #18,247 of 20,950
Tidal > Rockna WaveDream NET > Rockna WaveDream (filer set to off, dither set to off) > AuroraSound HFSA-1 > Focal Stellia

Watchtower_by_Devlin.jpg

I'm very surprised by this amp, a pleasure surprise was also its headphone output. Hard to compare to HEADA since both have a bit different sound signature IMHO and I would need a lot more time and be able to compare both side by side. I will share my notes about HFSA-1 later.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #18,251 of 20,950
I might try that just because of the cover art. Plus you do a good job of describing the music. I'm an old fart and you're going to take me out of my comfort zone. Lol. I just wrote it down so I'll see if I can find it on Amazon HD later.

After you give it a whirl, let me know what you think. I just turned 38. So I qualify for the old fart club yet? With everything my body has been through, I'm certainly feeling like one this morning. I just told my wife that my hip hurts and she laughed and said, "I figured I'd have another 30 years before I had to hear that one." 😂

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #18,252 of 20,950
New release
Schoolboy Q - BLUE LIPS
Szalayi / RU7 / iPhone 15 PM / Qobuz
IMG_6791.jpeg

The lack of good hip hop/rap has been felt heavily by the popularity of mumble/SoundCloud rappers, so I have not been paying much attention to that sphere… Schoolboy Q is here to remind me that’s a bad idea. Heard the lead single Yeern 101 yesterday and was blown away, very excited for this.

Rating -
:star::star::star::star:
A bit long in the tooth and a bit samey production wise, but one of the best rap albums I have heard lately.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #18,253 of 20,950
After you give it a whirl, let me know what you think. I just turned 38. So I qualify for the old fart club yet? With everything my body has been through, I'm certainly feeling like one this morning. I just told my wife that my hip hurts and she laughed and said, "I figured I'd have another 30 years before I had to hear that one." 😂
I'm listening to it now and find it interesting enough to continue. Keyboards and drums are prominent. What kind of music would this be considered, Progressive?
You're my son in law's age. You have a way to go to get to old fart status. Lol.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #18,254 of 20,950
I'm listening to it now and find it interesting enough to continue. Keyboards and drums are prominent. What kind of music would this be considered, Progressive?
You're my son in law's age. You have a way to go to get to old fart status. Lol.

Yup, this falls into the prog realm, IMO (and the opinion of the band). As a drummer, the presentation of drums forward in the mix, common in the genre, is a big reason why I dig prog and Echolyn specifically.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #18,255 of 20,950
.... hell, I am LXX .... older than some of my favourite tubes! 🤣 .... work out 2-1/2 hrs per day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back