For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Feb 17, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #17,686 of 20,921
Switched it up to the ThieAudio Prestige LTD which are still running off the Cayin N8ii.

All queued up and ready to rock is last summer's (June 2023) release from Rival Sons entitled DARK FIGHTER. No, I didn't just spazz out on caps lock. That's how they spell it. I love me some Rival Sons. Whenever I listen to these guys I get the feeling that Lynyrd Skynyrd would've sounded something like this if they came about in the 21st century. Jay Buchanan is another awesome vocalist who can really belt it out and he sounds great live, too. Michael Miley is one of my favorite drummers from the classic rock revival scene. These guys know how to lay down some crunchy riffage and I find myself enjoying all of their work. This album goes for a bit of a slicker, higher production sound than some of their more stripped down work and I think they were pretty successful with it even as I also think I still prefer the more simplistic, under produced sound stylistically. "Bird In the Hand" and "Guillotine" are highlights on this album for me.

To those about to rock, I salute you! 🤘😎

1200x1200bf-60.jpg
@JAnonymous5150 I'm yet to listen to bad RIVAL SONS bad album. For unknown reasons to me after listening to it I usually like to switch to Royal Blood.

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 21.45.10.png

Still with Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and MM-500 and still no need for external amp but the truth is I am listening a bit too loud. Oh well, nothing beats Envy and HEADA in my book. Still I think MM-500 are better with solid state amps than with hybrid or tube ones.

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #17,687 of 20,921
Fazor, I've never heard a pre-fazor LCD3.
What i love about them is their weighty but fast sound. Great bass and body but nearly as fast as my electrostatic especially when driven from a speaker amp. They also have great timbre with a lightly down sloped treble. They are easy to listen to for hours on end and are pretty genre agnostic to boot.
Very nice, thank you.

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #17,689 of 20,921
ZMF Verité Closed LTD Blackwood
Norne Audio Drausk
Woo Audio WA2 OTL

Tears for Fears, Songs From The Big Chair
(Steven Wilson 2014 Remix)

Just replaced the steel headband on these as I’m the 2nd owner and I was struggling to get the right seal.

Good Lord, I forgot how hard Verité Closed can hit with the right tubes! So, so good.

(My Telefunken G-73Rs are awesome with the VC, coaxing more deep bass out of them too- and the African Blackwood makes the VC super-speedy and planar-like in response.)

IMG_3415.jpeg

IMG_3438.jpeg

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #17,690 of 20,921
Beyerdynamic T1 G2 + Feliks Audio Echo

Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want To Turn Into You: Everasking Edition

1708205885820.png

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #17,692 of 20,921
Beyerdynamic T1 G2 + Feliks Audio Echo

Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want To Turn Into You: Everasking Edition

1708205885820.png
she is wearing Koss, she is just like me

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #17,693 of 20,921
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #17,694 of 20,921
*Puts on best Australian accent*

And here we see the illusive Sennheiser HD700 owner in his natural habitat. Little is known about where these rare creatures spend the majority of their lives...

LOL Seriously though, I have wanted to try the HD700s for quite a while now, but haven't managed to get a pair on my ears. I almost bought a pair a while back, but it would've been a total shot in the dark and I managed to restrain myself. It seems like those who have tried and/or own these headphones either love or hate them and very few are in between which is a big part of what makes them intriguing for me.

So do you daily drive your 700s or are they more of a rotated pair you use for certain genres and applications? What genres do you think they click best with? Any other pairs you've heard that you think are somewhat similar? Feel free to ignore the questions if you don't feel like answering.

Happy listening! 😎

I wouldn't suggest buying a pair of HD700s. My first listen to a pair of HD700's at a meet I absolutely hated them, despite me wanting to love them no matter what. I paid $400 for my amp/dac used and it was the absolutely best purchase I've made. It allows you 3 settings on treble and bass. So you can basically take any headphone and shape it to your preferred sound. I like the size, comfort and looks of HD700's so its why I picked them. They do seem to have a slight elevated raise in the higher frequencies which I like.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #17,696 of 20,921
Qobuz => Yggy+ GS2 => V222 => GS3000x

IMG_0104.png

Feb 17, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #17,697 of 20,921
Roon/Qobuz => yggy + GS2 => V222 => GS3000x

1708220694115.png

Feb 17, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #17,699 of 20,921
IMG_3475.jpeg
Saturday evening jazz time, can’t go wrong with this ensemble.
Focal Elex- Aune S17- Pegasus- MXN-10

Feb 17, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #17,700 of 20,921
@JAnonymous5150 I'm yet to listen to bad RIVAL SONS bad album. For unknown reasons to me after listening to it I usually like to switch to Royal Blood.

Still with Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and MM-500 and still no need for external amp but the truth is I am listening a bit too loud. Oh well, nothing beats Envy and HEADA in my book. Still I think MM-500 are better with solid state amps than with hybrid or tube ones.

Rival Sons are just a solid band and they know themselves and how they want to sound inside and out and that is clearly reflected in their work, IMO. I'm also a big Royal Blood fan so I can totally understand going from RS to RB. 😎

To @MrMan Thanks for the rundown. I appreciate the honest assessment and purchasing advice. 👍

For topicality: Tonight's show had to be cancelled midway through our set because the portion of the city this venue is in lost power. We waited for like an hour to see if power would be restored and I put on a bit of a drum show to entertain the audience which surprisingly stuck around for basically that whole time. We're planning on playing a matinee show tomorrow before our night time set for the folks who bought tickets to tonight's show. Stuff like this bums me out.

In order to restore my mood, I've got the DCA Expanse running off the GS-X Mini with the Gustard R26 pulling DAC and streamer duties. Plus, I've got my old standby, a bottle of Lagavulin 16, helping to further elevate the evening. 😉

Speaking of Rival Sons, I have perhaps my favorite album of theirs up in my queue: Feral Roots (from 2018). This album is absolutely like a 21st century version of Skynyrd with a dash of Led Zep attitude. It also has more of that simplistic production and sound engineering approach that I mentioned in my last post about DARKFIGHTER while still being quite refined and well done. Just such a good album...🤘😎

ab67616d0000b2732eb94491a3d377d793156717.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back