For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Apr 14, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #12,046 of 21,196
@Shane D > HD600 [XLR]
12C51B84-ED23-42DB-A451-F390C5C564F3.jpeg

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #12,047 of 21,196
Loving this. Listening way too loud on LCD x's

Nice! I'm stoked that Metallica is finally sounding like Metallica again! Not that they're bad at the hard rock stuff, but they're just much better at being a metal outfit. This album has some good tracks on it and as a whole it was musically compelling, held my interest, and got me rockin'. 🤘😎

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #12,048 of 21,196
Nice! I'm stoked that Metallica is finally sounding like Metallica again! Not that they're bad at the hard rock stuff, but they're just much better at being a metal outfit. This album has some good tracks on it and as a whole it was musically compelling, held my interest, and got me rockin'. 🤘😎

Album added to library and my “Walking Music” playlist ….. need something with a bit of energy when out for a power walk in the countryside !

Listening on Dethonray Tender 1 planar IEM right now, not normally a huge metal fan but there is a sense of class in the better Metallica offerings, this album does seem like a step back to Metallica of old.

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #12,049 of 21,196
Album added to library and my “Walking Music” playlist ….. need something with a bit of energy when out for a power walk in the countryside !

Listening on Dethonray Tender 1 planar IEM right now, not normally a huge metal fan but there is a sense of class in the better Metallica offerings, this album does seem like a step back to Metallica of old.

I have always been interested in the Tender 1s, but I've just never ended up grabbing a pair. Can you give me a quick breakdown on what you like about them? I'd really appreciate it! 👍😎

And, yes, 72 Seasons is definitely much more like the Metallica of old than their more recent iterations where they seemed to lose their identity a bit.

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #12,050 of 21,196
I have always been interested in the Tender 1s, but I've just never ended up grabbing a pair. Can you give me a quick breakdown on what you like about them? I'd really appreciate it! 👍😎

And, yes, 72 Seasons is definitely much more like the Metallica of old than their more recent iterations where they seemed to lose their identity a bit.

Tender 1 are rather neutral bordering on bass light but the bass is beautifully nuanced.

Still listening, up to track 4, and the punchy bass on this album is exceptional, others might find them lacking but I enjoy that punchy mid bass character rather than deeper more V tuned pronounced bass boost which to me can sound artificial. With that punchy Metallica bass off a proper drum set rather than electronic sub bass they excel to my ear.

Plenty of treble detail without being overdone and terrific mids, the guitar just now is sublime, especially with that machine gun mid bass.

Of course that is very subjective.

They do need power, I am just on an M11 Plus, high gain, 90/120. On a Mojo they are at near line level output, of course that is quite loud. On the M11 Plus I have inadvertently plugged them in with 4.4mm line level turned on and reached down to turn the volume up !

I just swapped over to Shanling MG600 single DD ….. nothing like the bass nuance of the Tender 1 !

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #12,051 of 21,196
Qobuz > Chord Mojo2 > 64 Audio U12t (mX Module) w/Forza Copper Series IEM MK2 Cable 🤙

For someone ready to dip their toe into the mid-fi market I can't think of a better place to point them than the Mojo2 & 64 Audio U12t. The synergy is incredible. The Mojo2's lossless DSP paired with 64 Audio's Apex modules provides so many sonic options. I'm always blown away with just how good the U12t's are. If I had to downsize to just this setup and nothing else, I would still feel like I have an incredible audiophile experience.

Image 4-14-23 at 11.23 PM.JPG

IMG_881C52787BE3-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #12,052 of 21,196
Apr 14, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #12,053 of 21,196
Tender 1 are rather neutral bordering on bass light but the bass is beautifully nuanced.

Still listening, up to track 4, and the punchy bass on this album is exceptional, others might find them lacking but I enjoy that punchy mid bass character rather than deeper more V tuned pronounced bass boost which to me can sound artificial. With that punchy Metallica bass off a proper drum set rather than electronic sub bass they excel to my ear.

Plenty of treble detail without being overdone and terrific mids, the guitar just now is sublime, especially with that machine gun mid bass.

Of course that is very subjective.

They do need power, I am just on an M11 Plus, high gain, 90/120. On a Mojo they are at near line level output, of course that is quite loud. On the M11 Plus I have inadvertently plugged them in with 4.4mm line level turned on and reached down to turn the volume up !

I just swapped over to Shanling MG600 single DD ….. nothing like the bass nuance of the Tender 1 !

Thanks for the comments! Sounds like a set I'd like so I'm gonna have to track a pair down sooner or later. 👍😎

Apr 14, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #12,055 of 21,196
👍

yeah, Chilliwack, good underrated Canadian band. It’s a nice change.
I have a couple of their songs in my collection from the 70's.

Apr 14, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #12,056 of 21,196
👍

yeah, Chilliwack, good underrated Canadian band. It’s a nice change.

And here I was hoping it was just a collection of greatest hits produced by the best bands from the Chilliwack, B.C. bar scene over the years. 😉

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #12,057 of 21,196
Listening to my ThieAudio Szalayis driven by the A&K Kann Alpha while I we're finishing up some pre-show prep work.l this evening. It's gonna be a fun night! 🤘😎

For music, I'm taking a second listen to Metallica's new album, 72 Seasons. I listened to it on the DCA Expanse earlier and I have to say, it's nice to hear Metallica sound like Metallica again. For a while now they have mostly put out albums that make them sound like a hard rock band doing Metallica covers, but this album has them finally sounding like a legit metal band again. The shredding guitars, thunderous drums, and fast, driving bass lines are all their, reminiscent of their albums from the 80s and early 90s, but updated for the 21st century. This album has some very good tracks on it and is a pretty sick effort overall. I'm excited listening to a new Metallica release for the first time in quite a while. 🤘😎

72-Seasons.jpg
Gave it a couple of listens earlier on my DT1990's and it certainly sounds a lot more like the Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and And Justice For All era Metallica but then again I also really liked their Black, Load and Re-Load era too, so as long as it didn't sound like St. Anger I was going to be easily pleased :L3000:

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #12,058 of 21,196
Gave it a couple of listens earlier on my DT1990's and it certainly sounds a lot more like the Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and And Justice For All era Metallica but then again I also really liked their Black, Load and Re-Load era too, so as long as it didn't sound like St. Anger I was going to be easily pleased :L3000:

First, I can't believe I put "ThieAudio Szalayis" in my post. I meant ThieAudio Prestige. I was in the middle of prepping my kit so I guess I kinda let my mind wander a bit. 🤦‍♂️😂

I'm also a big fan of the Black Album and both Load albums, it's most of what came after that, that I find disappointing. Not that it was all bad. I think St. Anger is a perfect example of a Metallica album that doesn't sound like Metallica. If they had made 72 Seasons sound more like the Load-era albums I would've been quite happy too. That said, I think it's cool that they decided to go back to what made them great to begin with. I mean, this is a damn good metal album from a damn good metal band and it's nice to be able to say that about a Metallica album again. That's all I was gettin' at. 🤘😎

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #12,059 of 21,196
JRiver Media Center > SMSL SU9 > Schiit Asgard 3 > Denon AH-D7200

talesoftime.jpg

Tales of Time by Joe Bonamassa - After bludgeoning my ears for a couple of hours of Metallica's new album I thought I'd take it down a notch and while this (also) new release isn't as heavy, it still rocks. Tales of Time is a recording of his Time Clocks live show, so none of his old standards are included, though this doesn't seem to be a problem as the set list flows really well. The songs are strong, which is just as well because he stays pretty true to the originals, though there is still the odd spell of face melting guitar soloing. :darthsmile:

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #12,060 of 21,196
JRiver Media Center > SMSL SU9 > Schiit Asgard 3 > Denon AH-D7200

Tales of Time by Joe Bonamassa - After bludgeoning my ears for a couple of hours of Metallica's new album I thought I'd take it down a notch and while this (also) new release isn't as heavy, it still rocks. Tales of Time is a recording of his Time Clocks live show, so none of his old standards are included, though this doesn't seem to be a problem as the set list flows really well. The songs are strong, which is just as well because he stays pretty true to the originals, though there is still the odd spell of face melting guitar soloing. :darthsmile:

I'll have to check this out next. Somehow it had escaped my attention. Thanks for the heads up! 🙏👍

To keep things topical, I'm doing a little hotel room sesh in the wee hours with my DCA Expanse running off my GS-X Mini with the Gustard R26 decoding all the bits and pieces from my laptop.

On deck in my queue is a 2012 album entitled Posthaste from the band OHMphrey which is a band formed of various members of Umphrey's McGee and Ohm. The tracks range in styles from pretty straightforward rock to prog to fusion and tons of stuff in between. The whole album is instrumental and it's absolutely chock full of tight playing by musicians that seem to be kickin' back and havin' some fun. Definitely worth a listen!

ab67616d0000b273f168167d72d01598aa80077d.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back