For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #10,486 of 21,415
Roon > BF264 > Vali2++ > HD 660s

Heard a cut on WDVX (Knoxville) and decided to give the whole album a listen. Glad I did.

Leo
It's says Friend of a Friend, but it looks like he's 2 seconds away from popping open a can of whoopa$$ :D

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #10,487 of 21,415
Currently listening with my brand new 7HZ Timeless Æ. 94D85C13-63EF-4A78-BD71-0600526DBE51.jpeg

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #10,488 of 21,415
You really need to procrastinate less, bro. I asked for this two weeks ago before I left...😉

Yeah, right? This was the bachelor party you had been nagging us about. Well, better late than never :D

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #10,489 of 21,415
Not a headphone, but a bootleg :santa:

z.jpg

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #10,490 of 21,415
Hd660s<mojo2<fiio m11

Easy top 5 singer / songwriter/ guitar player alive. Constant joy.

Richard_thompson_acoustic_classics_album_cover.jpg

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #10,491 of 21,415
Thanks for the impressions. Looks like I'll be placing an order for another pair of headphones. I have been wondering about them for a while and given what you and a couple others say about them and their modest price my curiosity simply must be appeased.

To get back on topic, I needed a little pre-studio inspiration so I figured some Carmine Appice (I'm a drummer after all) with some Jeff Beck and a little Rod Stewart from the days when he leant his vocals to songs not meant for the easy-listening love song crowd would do the trick nicely.

Sennheiser HD800S into my ifi Gryphon being fed bit-perfect hi-res from Qobuz listening to Beck-ola by Jeff Beck Group. What a way to kick off a session!
Did you ever buy these? I am looking for a cheapish set of mobile headphones. Just wondering what your experience was like?

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #10,492 of 21,415
Thanks for the impressions. Looks like I'll be placing an order for another pair of headphones. I have been wondering about them for a while and given what you and a couple others say about them and their modest price my curiosity simply must be appeased.

To get back on topic, I needed a little pre-studio inspiration so I figured some Carmine Appice (I'm a drummer after all) with some Jeff Beck and a little Rod Stewart from the days when he leant his vocals to songs not meant for the easy-listening love song crowd would do the trick nicely.

Sennheiser HD800S into my ifi Gryphon being fed bit-perfect hi-res from Qobuz listening to Beck-ola by Jeff Beck Group. What a way to kick off a session!
Speaking of prime Rod Stewart output etc, JA, what do you think of the drum solo on ‘(I Know) I’m Losing You’ on Every Picture Tells A Story? (I think that it is exciting and ‘builds’ beautifully 🤷🏻‍♂️).

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #10,493 of 21,415
Audeze MM-500<--Neotech UPOCC 4x 22 AWG solid core copper cable<--DakiOm F273 Feedback Stabilizer<--Schiit LYR 3|LISST<--Neotech UPOCC RCA interconnects<--Tritium Tri-Phazer 2.0<--Cardas XLR-to-RCA adapter<--Gustard X18 [NOS]<--Uptone USPCB|W4S Recovery|USB Disruptor<--AQ Jitterbug|iFi iSilencer+<--Lenovo G-50|qobuz:

1675126519717.png

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #10,494 of 21,415
Did you ever buy these? I am looking for a cheapish set of mobile headphones. Just wondering what your experience was like?

Actually, I did, but through some mixup they sent the 021 instead of the 023 so I sent them back and the 023s didn't arrive until I had already left town so I have a brand new pair of 023s waiting for me when I get home. I am taking a short break to fly home for my birthday in a few weeks and if I get a chance to have some time with them I'd be happy to let you know how they do then.

I have high hopes for them. Based on comments back and forth about other headphones, I get the feeling @Takarajima and I hear things similarly which is why him enjoying the 023s so much was a big factor for me in buying them. Here's to hoping they're good! 🤞

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #10,495 of 21,415
Actually, I did, but through some mixup they sent the 021 instead of the 023 so I sent them back and the 023s didn't arrive until I had already left town so I have a brand new pair of 023s waiting for me when I get home. I am taking a short break to fly home for my birthday in a few weeks and if I get a chance to have some time with them I'd be happy to let you know how they do then.

I have high hopes for them. Based on comments back and forth about other headphones, I get the feeling @Takarajima and I hear things similarly which is why him enjoying the 023s so much was a big factor for me in buying them. Here's to hoping they're good! 🤞
Like to hear your comments. I am currently going to read and watch all the reviews can find.

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #10,496 of 21,415
Speaking of prime Rod Stewart output etc, JA, what do you think of the drum solo on ‘(I Know) I’m Losing You’ on Every Picture Tells A Story? (I think that it is exciting and ‘builds’ beautifully 🤷🏻‍♂️).

The great thing about that solo is that it doesn't try to rely on speed or thechnical flash. Instead, the use of dynamics to build the solo and, ultimately, the mood becomes the star of the show. It's the mark of a good drummer when a solo doesn't set itself apart from the music stylistically* but works to build the emotion or theme of the music. This solo definitely does that and has all the hallmarks of a well planned and well executed solo by a talented and experienced drummer. It's all substance, no flashy tricks.

*There are exceptions to this. Sometimes (often during live shows) solos are intended to showcase the technical skill of a drummer and obviously wouldn't be expected to mesh with a song.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #10,497 of 21,415
JRiver Media Center (PC) > Schiit Modi Multibit > Schiit Vali 2 > Grado SR325x

Chaos is Calling by Kira Mac - First time I saw her she was on The Voice (UK) belting out Metallica's Nothing Else Matters, so I did a search and saw they had released a couple of singles but no album. I then started hearing a lot of them on Planet Rock and discovered they released their debut album in November - time to hit the search function on Amazon Music. I would say they play heavy blues-rock along the lines of Dorothy, though Kira doesn't sing through a fuzz box, her voice is naturally husky and strong enough without effects. I've been playing this album for the last few hours on Amazon Music Unlimited and still haven't had enough, it's very "moreish", so I bit the bullet and bought the download off Qobuz - it's a keeper!
I plugged the Schiit stack in again together with the Grados for this album, perfect synergy. :L3000:

I am absolutely loving the Modi Multibit 2 that my girl got me and it's fantastic with my tube hybrid (OG Lyr). I an updated original Mimby that I grabbed off of ebay on its way to my house. I have been so impressed with the new one that, after reading some comparison posts, I wanted to hear how the OG compares.

Currently listening to the Hifiman HE560 V1s plugged into the OG Lyr with the Modi Multibit 2 decoding all the bits from my laptop.

For music, I'm listening to a 2016 release from a group names Bear Ghost entitled Blasterpiece. I found these guys kinda randomly while toolin' around on Bancamp and I've really enjoyed their kinda funky almost spoofy take on rock and prog. This is the second album of theirs I'm listening to and so far I have enjoyed it quite a bit.

a3219041787_10.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #10,498 of 21,415
930F5E2A-ECF5-4D62-AE51-4C5F40A5F342.jpeg

Vinyl, on the LCD2.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #10,500 of 21,415
Screenshot_20230130_213235_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Tidal-->UAPP -->Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra-->Chord Mojo-->Empire Ears Legend Evo

En Vogue - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get Yet)

Still a Bop 31 years later!

Wow, I haven't seen or heard En Vogue in a loooooong time. I remember being a youngster and my older sister playing one of their albums and particularly one song (can't remember which off the top of my head) over and over again. I got my first pair of closed back shortly thereafter because my K501s couldn't block it out no matter how high I turned it up lol! 😂

Thanks for the trip dowb memory lane. I might just have to listen to them next. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back