For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Feb 27, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #17,971 of 21,400

New Devices is all over the place in regards to styles, tone, pace, mood, etc. For me, that's part of the draw and it definitely begs for listening with quality gear (I don't have the Freebuds so I can't comment there) that can wring all the detail and texture out of it. The Mahinas actually did a pretty impressive job with it.

TWS stuff is good for listening when moving about and cables is bothersome, not up to the quality of a good IEM together with something like Ifi Go Pod. But thats rather uncomfortable for me 😅
Had plenty of TWS over the years, the cheap Freebuds Pro 2 been one of the better ones looking at price and sound. One Dynamic driver and a micro planar, good enough technicalities and decent tonality for on the go.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #17,972 of 21,400
JRiver MC (PC) >> SMSL SU9 >> Schiit Asgard 3 >> Denon AH-D7200 :L3000:

milesfromnowhere.jpg

Miles From Nowhere (2022) by Jonas Lindberg & The Other Side - Very classy modern prog/rock from Sweden, it even has Roine Stolt playing lead guitar on the title track. Speaking of the title track, Miles From Nowhere is a rather amazing twenty five minute long epic that is very easy to get lost in, split into five sub-sections all of which are quite different and makes good use of the three vocalists. I started out listening through the RS-1x Grados but they were a bit shouty in places even at lowered volume so I switched to the Denons which are much, much more forgiving while still sounding great. One bonus of using the Denons, Jonas Lindberg is a bassist (amongst other things) and there is a nice low rumble which always brings a smile to my ears :darthsmile:

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #17,973 of 21,400
Up in the queue is a 2018 jazz fusion meets electronic album from Roller Trio entitled New Devices. I love how off the wall this album is! It drifts from jazzy passages with clear fusion influences to more avant garde or freeform sections to driving electronic or low, pulsating ambient style beats. Overall, it's such a cool mashup to sit back and explore with your ears.
Loved it. Off the wall indeed. Wonderful weaving in and out what should be discordant passages but beautifully done to make it seamlessly musical. Heard em on 660s2 but felt the need for aful P8s for the treble-richness to come through. Will give them a go again later.

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #17,974 of 21,400
TWS stuff is good for listening when moving about and cables is bothersome
Completely the opposite... the best (for me) use of BT is when you are still that you can't be more still...
when you are in bed, before sleep, watching movies and series for two hours, in that case,

if you would use a cable...you would need a long one...and how bothersome would that be :)

Cheers!

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #17,976 of 21,400
Qobuz => Yggy + GS2 => V222 => HD600

1709041088578.png

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #17,978 of 21,400
IMG_6703.jpegNEW KNOCKED LOOSE ON THE SZALAYI / RU7

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #17,981 of 21,400
HEDDphone One [v.1] . . . <--Hagerman Audio Labs Tuba*|2x Russian 6N14N [HI gain, volume at 2:00]. . . <--S.M.S.L. D400EX [@32bit/384kHz] . . . <--Lenovo G50|Apple Music:

1709052336285.png

[Philips Digital Classics, 1983]

*The Hagerman Tuba comes through yet again(!), handling the reportedly hard-to-drive HEDDphone with technical and musical aplomb (a feat I had previously and presumably deemed highly improbable--if not downright impossible). "Scherzo (Prestissimo)" from Borodin's 1st Symphony sounds refreshingly vibrant and "unfettered"! :blush:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #17,984 of 21,400
Feb 27, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #17,985 of 21,400
Loved it. Off the wall indeed. Wonderful weaving in and out what should be discordant passages but beautifully done to make it seamlessly musical. Heard em on 660s2 but felt the need for aful P8s for the treble-richness to come through. Will give them a go again later.

I'm stoked that you dug it. I've never heard the 660s2 so I can't comment on how well they do with this album, but I can say that whatever you have that has the best treble/bass extension, detail retrieval, dynamics, and staging/imaging techs is worth using for a listen. Those attributes take the experience to the next level! FWIW, I totally agree with your assessment.

For topicality: This afternoon I have the DCA E3s running off my Schiit Magnius with my SMSL SU-8 v2 10th Anny decoding the optical out from a Wiim Mini. I'm trying to decide if the E3s are worth keeping despite having the Stealths as I'm working to thin out my collection. They are different as far as tuning, presentation, and techs to an extent, but overall I prefer the Stealths. I guess it's just a question of whether or not I think I'll consistently keep using both as I have been thus far. 🤷‍♂️

On deck in today's queue is the deluxe edition of Gov't Mule's 2017 effort, Revolution Come...Revolution Go. It's GM so I'm not sure I have to say anything. This album is just classic blues rock from start to finish. One of the titans of this genre just doing their thing and doing it extremely well. I think they have a lot of songwriting strengths, but their lyrics have to be right up their at the top. They do a great job relating relatable emotions and concepts without getting tripped up trying to be too complicated or oversimplifying to make them catchy. For those that don't write lyrics, that is a much more difficult line to toe than you'd probably imagine. Warren Haynes is one of my favorite front men. I dig his vocals and he can play a mean guitar riff when the situation calls for it. GM are also incredible live! 🤘😎

GovtMule_STD-CD-COVER-RGB.jpg

To @Leonarfd would you rec the Freebuds Pro 2 as a good pair of TWS for the gym and work then? I've been thinkin' about trying a pair. Currently I use a few very short cables I made myself with the pair of buds/IEMs of my choice and my BTR3 for the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back