For iPhone users: How do you like it (so far)?
Feb 20, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #46 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the touch keyboard takes some getting used to, but one can become very proficient and fast...i'm getting better every day. it's way better and faster than palm's graffiti...and i love not having a stylus to lose. it's a phone - why wouldn't you be able to input a phone number on the fly?

I meant inputing into a contact list. As for graffiti, it can't be "writing-based" so it must be typing on the touchpad? I am correct with this assumption? Writing in graffiti was and still is awesome. I can write a whole lot faster than I can type on tiny keys. But if the touch pad is stellar, I'll just learn to love it I suppose. The iPhone is still not available in Canada (and I need a phone/pda by April 1st) so I may have to look on Ebay.

Quote:

i don't know why you need to use google docs to take notes...there's a note app as well as tons of other web-based apps that allow you to take notes and to-dos (like ta-da list by 37signals). and soon apple will release their SDK that will allow developers to write native apps for the iphone...

I wasn't sure if the note app could merely read notes or accept input. I had read early on that the iphone was nearly read only for most of its apps, something that dismayed me.

Once the SDK hits I'm going to write a few of my own apps but for now, I'll just lust after the pretty device until I can source one out. I'll have to unlock it though to use in Canada.

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #47 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbx2006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are undecided about purchasing an iphone, I would wait until may. There is a rumor that a new iPhone will be released in may that will have GPS, faster 3g Internet, a 6 megapixle camera, plus who knows what else.

Is the expected May date an annoucement only or the actual release? If it is the release, I'll wait it out and borrow a phone otherwise I'll end up buying the current one and selling it or handing it off to my wife to use.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #48 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the expected May date an annoucement only or the actual release? If it is the release, I'll wait it out and borrow a phone otherwise I'll end up buying the current one and selling it or handing it off to my wife to use.

Actually I think it is just a rumor, but after reading the links below, I think it is going to be a fairly accurate guess. They predicted the 16GB iPhone release a couple months before Apple announced it.

Here is a link that talks about this in more detail.

next generation | The iPhone FAQ

Here is another link that talks about the CEO from AT&T confirming a 3G iPhone in 2008.

Goldman Sachs Predicts Two iPhone Upgrades for 2008 | The iPhone FAQ

There is another link that I can not find at the moment that is giving the rumored release date being in may 2008.

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #49 of 84
Thanks man. I have high hopes. I just want a sweet pda that can act as a phone. I want pda/wifi. My wife wants me to have a phone. Throw in some music (or Wikipedia) and I'm totally sold.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #50 of 84
Yeah, the iphone is really well-designed piece of mobile equipment.

I really enjoy having music and internet everywhere.

Not to mention the awesome sqeezebox remote control web-interface!

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #51 of 84
I cant figure out, if I should buy an Iphone. I need to buy a new phone, my last phone was a D900i, where I think the music player sucked. So should I buy a Iphone, or a phone + Ipod. Is the sq of the iphone really so bad?

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #52 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant inputing into a contact list. As for graffiti, it can't be "writing-based" so it must be typing on the touchpad? I am correct with this assumption? Writing in graffiti was and still is awesome. I can write a whole lot faster than I can type on tiny keys. But if the touch pad is stellar, I'll just learn to love it I suppose. The iPhone is still not available in Canada (and I need a phone/pda by April 1st) so I may have to look on Ebay.

zanth, you can input new numbers into previous contacts...or make new contacts...and when you sync with your computer it will copy that info to your contact management app on your computer.

yes, the character input on the iphone is via a keyboard touchpad. much faster than graffiti on the palm ever was.

Quote:

I wasn't sure if the note app could merely read notes or accept input. I had read early on that the iphone was nearly read only for most of its apps, something that dismayed me.

oh, certainly not true.

i hope it's officially released in canada soon. otherwise, you'll have to pick one up on fleabay or smuggle one across the border and unlock it yourself
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #53 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danster.dk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant figure out, if I should buy an Iphone. I need to buy a new phone, my last phone was a D900i, where I think the music player sucked. So should I buy a Iphone, or a phone + Ipod. Is the sq of the iphone really so bad?

do it. you wont look back.

what other phone enables you to type wirelessly onto your pc/laptop and control the screen, mouse, and navigate round like a touchpad*?
cool.gif

edit: *jailbroken only!

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #55 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danster.dk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might be a stupid question, but does jailbroken means unlocked?

no not exclusively, unlocked is when you have defeated the baseband/'simlock' to be able to use any networks simcard

jailbroken, is when you have been able to get past the 'activate' screen without legitimately registering so as to be able to use the functions, maps, contacts, photos, camera, ipod etc

for instance my unit is jailbroken, so i can use all the phones functions, but it isnt actually unlocked, as i didnt need to bother as i am on a 02 PAYG sim anyway, if i had wanted to use a t-mobile or orange etc sim i would have needed to take the extra step of unlocking so i could use any sim i liked.

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #58 of 84
Jailbroken means that you can run third party apps
Activated means that it is connected to a phone account
Unlocked means that it is able to be connected to any telephone company

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #59 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ quaddy

do you have a mac, cause im on PC vista and cannot get the remote desktop stuff to work!

yeah i have an old imac G3 which i use when anything mac is required

i had it working on xp too, but i havent tried it on vista, from what i have read others are having more issues with vista getting vnc working with it annoyingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back