For iPhone users: How do you like it (so far)?
Feb 29, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #77 of 84
iPhone user checking in! had it since day 1 and still loving it.

many jailbreaks have occurred since then
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #78 of 84
how are you guys doing with battery life? my 16GB iphone is about three weeks old and after a day of very minimal use it's down to 30%. i do use it as an alarm clock (with a couple of snoozes) and wonder if that's eating up battery life. otherwise, i have wifi off, auto email off, and brightness is down to below 50% with auto brightness enabled. anything else i'm missing? or is it just a defective one i have?

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #79 of 84
regarding battery life.

this is what i do to get max life.

i am not an edge user. so use services to disable edge daemon.
bluetooth - same deal = off.
only have SSH on when actively connecting into iphone, off all other times. use services to toggle these services as needed.

auto-lock is a killer if set to never!!!! mine is 1min - makes a big difference to me.

screen brightness.

reduce it to a tolerable level. certainly not max brightness and turn auto brightness off when set to the desired level.

if you have third party apps installed which have 'listening' daemons registered, these will run in the background constantly and reduce battery level.

for instance, i use taskbar notifier, until recently it wasnt optimized and drained it bad. the new version fixes this.

also, your mail settings. mine is set to 15mins auto check, and i do a manual check more often if required, not less - as this drains also with the listener, same for push email.

theres probably more, but following those will stand you in good stead!

HTH
edit: i use mine as alarm clock also, all the time, with those other things 'tweaked' i have no problems getting couple of days out of it approx.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #80 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regarding battery life.

this is what i do to get max life.

i am not an edge user. so use services to disable edge daemon.
bluetooth - same deal = off.
only have SSH on when actively connecting into iphone, off all other times. use services to toggle these services as needed.

auto-lock is a killer if set to never!!!! mine is 1min - makes a big difference to me.

screen brightness.

reduce it to a tolerable level. certainly not max brightness and turn auto brightness off when set to the desired level.

if you have third party apps installed which have 'listening' daemons registered, these will run in the background constantly and reduce battery level.

for instance, i use taskbar notifier, until recently it wasnt optimized and drained it bad. the new version fixes this.

also, your mail settings. mine is set to 15mins auto check, and i do a manual check more often if required, not less - as this drains also with the listener, same for push email.

theres probably more, but following those will stand you in good stead!

HTH
edit: i use mine as alarm clock also, all the time, with those other things 'tweaked' i have no problems getting couple of days out of it approx.

well, i fear my iphone's battery is defective, then. about 24 hours later, i'm less than 20%. i didn't jailbreak my phone so don't have 3rd party apps (yet)...don't use push email. everything is turned off. so, i'm not sure what's going on. i'll be traveling to new york later this week so when i get back i may exchange it for one that has a better battery...

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #81 of 84
click here to look at some poll results for firmware vs. battery times. (hope you dont have to be logged in for it to display!)

some of the guys on that forum have been swearing that the newere the firware they upgrade to, the better battery performance they are getting - if so this is most likely down to more optimized netcode and daemon/service management etc

btw i am on 1.1.2

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #83 of 84
update: my battery life after upgrading to 1.1.4 was atrocious. so i did a restore...and now i'm getting good battery life again. over 3 hours usage with 24 hours standby and battery life's at about 70%. couldn't make it to 24 hours previous to the restore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back