For gaming, are headphones better with Solid State or Tubes
Jul 23, 2010 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HariBhushan

100+ Head-Fier
Some people say that tube amp gives it more weight and body.

and some people say that solid state is better because of the better control/detailness

but what are your thoughts?

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 14
As long as your amp is able to drive your cans half decently, I'm really not sure it makes much of a difference.  If you're paying attention to those kinds of nuances in the sound of your game, you're probably losing.

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 14

Trust me theres a difference.. Tubes add weight & flesh to the characters & weight on the weapons. Hard to explain in words.. But weapons have 'weight' to them, & makes the game more immersive & realistic.
Quote:
As long as your amp is able to drive your cans half decently, I'm really not sure it makes much of a difference.  If you're paying attention to those kinds of nuances in the sound of your game, you're probably losing.

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 14
Not sure why I am even replying, since we are only talking about games badly compressed audio, but tubes don't automatically equal lush, warm sound. It has been well documented that the M3 amp is a very warm sounding solid state amp and depending on the tubes you stick in an amp, they could sound as sterile as your pee.

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Trust me theres a difference.. Tubes add weight & flesh to the characters & weight on the weapons. Hard to explain in words.. But weapons have 'weight' to them, & makes the game more immersive & realistic.

Fair enough.  I'll do a comparison with my Yamaha home theatre amp and my Musical Paradise MP-301 out of fairness.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:

Looking for these qualities in an amp rather than a headphone seems odd to me.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 14
all amps, like headphones, are different.  i prefer soild state amps-in general- for gaming myself.

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 14
tubes all the way
bigsmile_face.gif

+9000 about the flesh/weight thingy KBI mentioned.And another plus is the option to alternate the sound to your likings. Like for example, if you game with Bad Company 2, you'll want a tube for your amp that has the best soundstage/realism, but for those vocal centric games with very little to none accuracy needed(Resident Evil springs to mind as an example), you can tube roll to make the voice presentation/mids/environment even better.  It's hard to explain, but once you go tubes , you don't go back to anything else
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 14
Yes.. & this was with my lowly 212 pro's.. Still amazing... Gears of War.. DAC1 plus my hybrid BADA12.. Even with a decent headphone.. The boom had more bloom to them.. the impact of the area that the bazookas hit had a errie weighty feel to them..

Quote:
tubes all the way
bigsmile_face.gif

+9000 about the flesh/weight thingy KBI mentioned.And another plus is the option to alternate the sound to your likings. Like for example, if you game with Bad Company 2, you'll want a tube for your amp that has the best soundstage/realism, but for those vocal centric games with very little to none accuracy needed(Resident Evil springs to mind as an example), you can tube roll to make the voice presentation/mids/environment even better.  It's hard to explain, but once you go tubes , you don't go back to anything else
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #13 of 14
"Like for example, if you game with Bad Company 2, you'll want a tube for your amp that has the best soundstage/realism, "

.... i get great results from a KICAS going into a A900 TI headphone for BC2. HUGE impact, the different weapon sounds are downright amazing.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
tubes all the way
bigsmile_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

i like this post. This guy obviously knows what he's talking about.  I whole heartedly agree with going tubes as well. My Woo Audio 3 is incredible for FPS games. Tubes just give it that undescribable feeling, and like you said, you can alternate the tubes to match them with your games.

I would like to try a good Solid State like the Rockchopper m3 one day tho to see how it holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back