For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Aug 8, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #4,051 of 9,570
Grabbed a pair, he’s relisted it, seems he has multiple pairs (at least 4 pairs). Seller automatically declined any lower bids. Order has shipped, will confirm their quality when I get them!

Saw a single NOS GEC6as7g up throughout last few days, untested, for 150 EUR, seems it has been sold since, would that have been a fair price?
Cool. Let us know how you find them.

Don't be shy in returning them if there’s humming or sounds going on like “ping” that won’t go away.

Can i ask if she/he dropped the price for you?

Aug 8, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #4,052 of 9,570
Cool. Let us know how you find them.

Don't be shy in returning them if there’s humming or sounds going on like “ping” that won’t go away.

Can i ask if she/he dropped the price for you?

Nope, asked about it and they declined a discount, unless I payed outside of eBay parameters which I declined. They were ok with returns though so will test them out thourougly. Are 5998s very prone to microphonics or humming?

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #4,053 of 9,570
Nope, asked about it and they declined a discount, unless I payed outside of eBay parameters which I declined. They were ok with returns though so will test them out thourougly. Are 5998s very prone to microphonics or humming?
I had a pair or two that i sent back a long time ago (other sellers)

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #4,054 of 9,570
That price is not all too high for a pair of the mighty 5998's if you've not heard them you're in for a treat their sq is very nice..enjoy

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #4,055 of 9,570
Been doing quite a bit more research, have ordered some RCA 6AS7G's and TS7236 and they're on their way.

what do we think of this? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Valve-E...873496?hash=item1cb5a99298:g:lTQAAOSwPAtbcA9z
what's the slightly brown discolouration above the brown base, it's not the lighting surely?

Another question, CV2984; is this a code reserved only for GEC tubes? I've seen GEC 6080's with this label, but also some being listed as Mullards? From my reading they both had factories in similar areas in UK, any chance that some Mullard 6080s could be rebranded GEC's or vice versa?

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #4,056 of 9,570
Hi to all, i am new in tube amplifiers, i am using my 336se with 6AS7G (Svetlana 6H13C) and CV181-Z Treasure, im planning to change the Svetlana 6H13C for Telefunken 6080 tube? Is this a upgrade or just sidegrade? What would be the differences in sound? Thanks

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #4,057 of 9,570
@rusnak666 - Hi there, I have those tubes, and I do like the combo but I usually just roll out the Treasure for a 6H8C as I find it has better synergy for what I listen too. I haven't yet heard the 6080's but I hear they are a decent tube. Seems rolling tubes is just a side-grade imho when you're trekking through the same path others here and abroad have traveled. By all means chase after the tubes you're wanting to try but I think you'll find tubes are just different flavors.

I've recently got a Tung Sol 6SN7gtb and it's a great tube, most importantly it's silent and in great condition, compared to the treaure...meh...very similar, sweet mids, probably a bit more air between the notes, slightly more extended in the upper registries maybe than the Treasure?! I got it cheaper than the treasure, so I guess that's a bonus!

I'll be receiving some RCA 6AS7g's soon, so I'll get to see how it fairs with the Svetlana.

So the question is - What is your flavor? What music do you like to listen to?

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #4,058 of 9,570
@rusnak666 - The Mullard 6080 and RCA6080WA are good tubes, the Mullard having the most balanced sound. However, I find that synergy between the power and preamp tube matters a great deal as well. Mix and match and see what you like. As Volly rightfully said, it depends a lot on your taste.

Combinations that I like are RCA 6SN7GT Smoked Glass or the Sylvania 6SN7GT Chrome Dome with the Mullard 6080.

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #4,059 of 9,570
Been doing quite a bit more research, have ordered some RCA 6AS7G's and TS7236 and they're on their way.

what do we think of this? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Valve-E...873496?hash=item1cb5a99298:g:lTQAAOSwPAtbcA9z
what's the slightly brown discolouration above the brown base, it's not the lighting surely?

Another question, CV2984; is this a code reserved only for GEC tubes? I've seen GEC 6080's with this label, but also some being listed as Mullards? From my reading they both had factories in similar areas in UK, any chance that some Mullard 6080s could be rebranded GEC's or vice versa?

If I understand you correctly, the discoloration you are seeing is the getter splash, which is normal in a tube with getters located below the bottom mica.

CV2984 is the British military designation for the 6080. And therefore, any 6080 procured for the British military might bear that designation. Both GEC and Mullard manufactured the 6080 so it is not likely that you will find Mullard 6080s rebranded as GEC, or vice versa. But of course it is possible.

As the Mullard and GEC have different internal construction, a close inspection will reveal the original manufacturer. Further, Mullard etched their production code on all their tubes, and if it is visible, that too will reveal the original manufacturer.

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #4,060 of 9,570
Hi to all, i am new in tube amplifiers, i am using my 336se with 6AS7G (Svetlana 6H13C) and CV181-Z Treasure, im planning to change the Svetlana 6H13C for Telefunken 6080 tube? Is this a upgrade or just sidegrade? What would be the differences in sound? Thanks

In my experience, the Telefunken has a lot of air and treble emphasis and the midrange is rather thin. So it is not an upgrade, just a different sound.

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #4,062 of 9,570
Im searching for bigest soundstage and deepest sub-bass, wath do you think, would be better telefunken 6080 or Svetlana 6H13C? What other tube would match my desires? Thanks

I am primarily a tone guy and don't pay much attention to the size of the sound stage or how deep the sub-base goes... That said, personally, I would take the Svetlana over the Telefunken any day. But perhaps others with more similar tastes in sound can provide you with specific recommendations.

Aug 12, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #4,063 of 9,570
Im searching for bigest soundstage and deepest sub-bass, wath do you think, would be better telefunken 6080 or Svetlana 6H13C? What other tube would match my desires? Thanks
Hi r666,
I would not bother with the TFK 6080 - never read any rave reviews about it.
There is another problem - not all tubes sound the same in different amps. It is a safe bet that one of a select group of power tubes will please, but as said, a lot depends on synergy with driver tubes as well.
In general, some of the best power tubes are the GEC 6AS7, the GEC 6080 (my personal favorite in the Feliks Euforia) and the Bendix 6080WB, but all of these are very pricey.
Less expensive good alternatives are the Svetlana 6H13C (has a couple different designations), the RCA 6AS7G and the RCA 6080; the latter can be found very inexpensive. Then there are the 6AS7GA (any brand) which also can sound very good with the right pairing.
A lot of people like the Tung Sol 5998, the Chatham/Tung Sol 6AS7 and the Mullard 6080, but they did not work for me in my Feliks Audio amps.
Another great power tube is the Cetron 6336B, but it may fry your amp if it can't handle 5A.
And the soundstage and sub bass are a function of the driver tubes as well.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #4,064 of 9,570
Thanks all for the tips, for driver i am using Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z. Mordy waht do you think about this tube, is it any good? Any power tube suggestion with this for good synergy? I am willing to spend about 100EUR for the power tube... Thanks

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #4,065 of 9,570
Im searching for bigest soundstage and deepest sub-bass
Darkvoice with JAN Sylvania 5998A and Sylvania 6SN7 GTB.jpg

rusnak666:

This combo has great Bass, Mids and smooth highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back