For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Jun 15, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #2,086 of 9,589

Fair enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

For my Elise, I'd like to get a few more pairs of RCA 6080 and the Russian 6N13S. If I come across more Chathams, I'll get a few pairs, as well. That's about the extent of my current wish list, other than another brand of 6080 I'd like to try. I have a pair of very interesting, at least to me, 6AS7G on the way. Keeping my fingers crossed.

As for drivers, I'll be using C3g instead of the usual 6SN7. They should be here this week. I'm very excited to hear them and I'd really like them to be my drivers of choice. Then, no more 6SN7s and I could dump more cash into, perhaps, a higher grade pair of power tubes. I'd like to know what I'm missing.

What amp are you using? Glenn pushes the C3g. Suppose to be a superb tube. Nearly had a listen to them at a mates house. However Jack from Woo Audio said stop immediately. You have to respect the maker. So my mate is getting a custom Glenn amp made with C3g as the drivers.

Like this, however with a XLR output added.

Edit: Okay sorry. I just looked up Elise amp. Very nice. For some reason Jack from Woo Audio told us not to use the C3g plus the adapter in the 6SN7 circuit. I don't know why?

Question is why did you tell Woo you were doing this?

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #2,087 of 9,589

Fair enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

For my Elise, I'd like to get a few more pairs of RCA 6080 and the Russian 6N13S. If I come across more Chathams, I'll get a few pairs, as well. That's about the extent of my current wish list, other than another brand of 6080 I'd like to try. I have a pair of very interesting, at least to me, 6AS7G on the way. Keeping my fingers crossed.

As for drivers, I'll be using C3g instead of the usual 6SN7. They should be here this week. I'm very excited to hear them and I'd really like them to be my drivers of choice. Then, no more 6SN7s and I could dump more cash into, perhaps, a higher grade pair of power tubes. I'd like to know what I'm missing.

What amp are you using? Glenn pushes the C3g. Suppose to be a superb tube. Nearly had a listen to them at a mates house. However Jack from Woo Audio said stop immediately. You have to respect the maker. So my mate is getting a custom Glenn amp made with C3g as the drivers.

Like this, however with a XLR output added.

Edit: Okay sorry. I just looked up Elise amp. Very nice. For some reason Jack from Woo Audio told us not to use the C3g plus the adapter in the 6SN7 circuit. I don't know why?

Doing a mod so this amp will also be able to use #45 tubes as well as the 300B

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #2,088 of 9,589
I doubt this is true....  Who told you it was not possible to use the C3g in a WA22?

I heard it 3rd hand. I don't know if it is accurate. In my case it doesn't matter. I am happy with the Tung-Sol round plates as drivers.

Question is why did you tell Woo you were doing this?

We didn't. The Aussie guy talked to him.

Doing a mod so this amp will also be able to use #45 tubes as well as the 300B

Truely awesome.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #2,091 of 9,589
I would like to know if other people have had much success with RCA 6AS7G tubes in Woo Audio amps. I bought a couple NOS and they both happen to hum very badly in my WA2 amp ! I can tell the music itself sounds better but the hum is unbearable. I'm not sure If I should give up on the 6AS7 type or keep spending money trying to find a quiet tube :frowning2:

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #2,092 of 9,589
I would like to know if other people have had much success with RCA 6AS7G tubes in Woo Audio amps. I bought a couple NOS and they both happen to hum very badly in my WA2 amp ! I can tell the music itself sounds better but the hum is unbearable. I'm not sure If I should give up on the 6AS7 type or keep spending money trying to find a quiet tube :frowning2:

cleaning could help as the tubes even new are old and could have something on them
Try something like this
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/13657711113175958378?q=speaker+contact+cleaner&client=safari&hl=en&biw=375&bih=559&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX4xzw2upnOD-na5bh5_cCUaoDyxFuAGruNqWH2UWw2H05nFqDcwGu3feJzMF6yU-lEis3sgQiu6A1H2kXFqLKmPO76Rb2hR_RdiPKrVOcMwpyrkpCBIZAFPVH702wQankR2jb2j57m8ghjKq8CTlKQ&sa=X&ei=WFqEVbrxEI-vogTBiLnACQ&ved=0CCYQ8wIwBQ
Couldn't hurt.

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,093 of 9,589
cleaning could help as the tubes even new are old and could have something on them
Try something like this
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/13657711113175958378?q=speaker+contact+cleaner&client=safari&hl=en&biw=375&bih=559&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX4xzw2upnOD-na5bh5_cCUaoDyxFuAGruNqWH2UWw2H05nFqDcwGu3feJzMF6yU-lEis3sgQiu6A1H2kXFqLKmPO76Rb2hR_RdiPKrVOcMwpyrkpCBIZAFPVH702wQankR2jb2j57m8ghjKq8CTlKQ&sa=X&ei=WFqEVbrxEI-vogTBiLnACQ&ved=0CCYQ8wIwBQ
Couldn't hurt.

Well that's interesting. I guess I could try some rubbing alcohol on the pins in the meantime and see if that clears anything up.

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #2,095 of 9,589

Exact same thing in my WA22. I have many, many types of 6AS7G's. So many are noisy and hum. I have given up on them and using 6080 instead.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #2,096 of 9,589
I guess owning over 20 tubes and others comments I thought I'd buy some. Here is cheapest I found so $8 that may help with my 25-30 tubes , why not I guess.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400662735760?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #2,097 of 9,589
^

It certainly cleans the pins up like new. It makes dull pins look like mirrors. I also like that it makes tubes easier to install and remove.

My four Mullard 6080 tubes from Langrex is a complete fail. All four are noisy. Not the pins guys. I have cleaned them all twice. They just don't work well in the circuit. I don't know why?
I have just rolled in the stock tubes (GE 6080) and so far they sound great. Most importantly they are super quiet. Maybe in this case I will just stay with stock. A bit of a shock.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,098 of 9,589
That's too bad on your mullards must be bad tubes because my 2 pair sound better then any others I own..
Have you tried a early 50's pair of 6AS7G RCA's. I have 3 pair that sound just great, close to my mullard 6080's in sq..

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2,099 of 9,589
I've got some GEC 6080's that were sold to me NOS. I haven't tried them or tested them, but I will post up when I do. From what I've heard, they have very liquid sounding midrange; a slight emphasis on the upper mids to my ears. I personally enjoy them the most for guitars, vs most of the other power tubes I've heard.

I think I'm going to consider going to an Eddie Current amp, if I can find one that doesn't break the bank... if I do I'll post up whatever tubes I have, with tested data and all that. I can also personally verify if they're noisy with my WA2 beforehand as well. The RCA 6AS7G's that I have are definitely not noisy... my problems were with some Tung Sol 5998's. F%^$ing things were expensive, and then one of them sounded windy every once in a while.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2,100 of 9,589
  I've got some GEC 6080's that were sold to me NOS. I haven't tried them or tested them, but I will post up when I do. From what I've heard, they have very liquid sounding midrange; a slight emphasis on the upper mids to my ears. I personally enjoy them the most for guitars, vs most of the other power tubes I've heard.

I think I'm going to consider going to an Eddie Current amp, if I can find one that doesn't break the bank... if I do I'll post up whatever tubes I have, with tested data and all that. I can also personally verify if they're noisy with my WA2 beforehand as well. The RCA 6AS7G's that I have are definitely not noisy... my problems were with some Tung Sol 5998's. F%^$ing things were expensive, and then one of them sounded windy every once in a while.

Hi Mike,
Did you clean the pins on the TS-5998?  Mine were a little corroded so used the Deoxit and got rid of any noise they had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back