For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Dec 24, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #9,451 of 9,577
I've brought several electrical components from Ukraine eBay sellers in the past with shipping to the UK and have never had any issues. Shipping often takes longer than expected but that's probably to be expected.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #9,452 of 9,577
I would like some help identifying a Chatham JAN-CAHG-6AS7G tube that I purchased several years ago for my bottlehead crack. The online dealer was selling them for less than 30% of his regular Chatham 6AS7G tubes because it didn't have copper grids. It sounded tinny with 12AU7 tubes - so after 100 hrs or so it was consigned to the bottom of my tube tub. I recently started trying 6J5G tubes with an adapter in my bottlehead and noticed that not only did my G.E.C. 6AS7G tubes lose their unwanted characteristics (microphonic, filling silence with a hum) but my 6080 tubes that sounded flat had come alive. I tried the Chatham JAN-CAHG-6AS7G with a couple of gray shouldered Marconi L63 tubes not expecting much and have to say the sound exceeded my wildest expectations. I now think that my $15 got me a 6520 but all the pics I've seen online had copper grids. Assuming it is a 6520 are the silver grid ones different from the copper grid ones? Pics to follow.

Attachments

• JAN-CAHG-6AS7G_1.jpg
    JAN-CAHG-6AS7G_1.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 0
  • JAN-CAHG-6AS7G_2.jpg
    JAN-CAHG-6AS7G_2.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 0
  • JAN-CAHG-6AS7G_3.jpg
    JAN-CAHG-6AS7G_3.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 0
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #9,453 of 9,577
I would like some help identifying a Chatham JAN-CAHG-6AS7G tube that I purchased several years ago for my bottlehead crack. The online dealer was selling them for less than 30% of his regular Chatham 6AS7G tubes because it didn't have copper grids. It sounded tinny with 12AU7 tubes - so after 100 hrs or so it was consigned to the bottom of my tube tub. I recently started trying 6J5G tubes with an adapter in my bottlehead and noticed that not only did my G.E.C. 6AS7G tubes lose their unwanted characteristics (microphonic, filling silence with a hum) but my 6080 tubes that sounded flat had come alive. I tried the Chatham JAN-CAHG-6AS7G with a couple of gray shouldered Marconi L63 tubes not expecting much and have to say the sound exceeded my wildest expectations. I now think that my $15 got me a 6520 but all the pics I've seen online had copper grids. Assuming it is a 6520 are the silver grid ones different from the copper grid ones? Pics to follow.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #9,454 of 9,577
As far as I know there are two versions of the 6520. One has the dimpled plate and is a 5998 and the other version is a 6AS7G.
Other than that I am not sure of other differences with the 6520 and the other two mentioned.
However, I had a similar experience with the Chatham 6AS7G. It never sounded anything special until I paired it with 6J5 tubes and then it sounded great.
IMHO it is all about synergy between tubes. This is something that usually isn’t predictable and one of the mysterious and charming aspects of this hobby.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #9,455 of 9,577
I've brought several electrical components from Ukraine eBay sellers in the past with shipping to the UK and have never had any issues. Shipping often takes longer than expected but that's probably to be expected.
Hey Jamie, Sorry for jumping on your thread. I can be pretty single minded some times and I don't know if I can reply to person's post just to accumulate points.
On your comment about shipping, I will say that it is a good idea to avoid Standard shipping for overseas packages.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #9,456 of 9,577
As far as I know there are two versions of the 6520. One has the dimpled plate and is a 5998 and the other version is a 6AS7G.
Other than that I am not sure of other differences with the 6520 and the other two mentioned.
However, I had a similar experience with the Chatham 6AS7G. It never sounded anything special until I paired it with 6J5 tubes and then it sounded great.
IMHO it is all about synergy between tubes. This is something that usually isn’t predictable and one of the mysterious and charming aspects of this hobby.
A collector eventually runs into the situation where they need to move out some items to make room for new ones. I actually had my hand on the Chatham JAN-CAHG-6AS7G tube and pulled it back at the last moment. Synergy and a bit of luck.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #9,457 of 9,577
A collector eventually runs into the situation where they need to move out some items to make room for new ones. I actually had my hand on the Chatham JAN-CAHG-6AS7G tube and pulled it back at the last moment. Synergy and a bit of luck.
I have learned from experience never to get rid of a tube - you never know when someone comes up with a pairing that makes that me too tube suddenly shine...

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #9,458 of 9,577
I read about using 2 A2293/CV4079 tubes in place of 1 6AS7G. I scoured the forums for meaningful reviews of these and couldn’t find much.
I fell in love with the Western Electric 421a for technicality, staging, imaging and details. I found the GEC A1834/6AS7G more enjoyable for longer listening and it’s became my go to.

With 50hrs+ runtime on the A2293 pair I’m impressed. They have super impactful bass, better than average detail, and a hit of that euphonic character that the GEC 6AS7G has. The stage feels smaller. And I play them 9-12dB lower than any other tube on average in this amp. They’re LOUD. But also quiet with no input coming in.

I’m going to keep them in for a while, roll the pre, and report back with a longer term review when I have more experience with them. So far the A1834 is still my favorite, but given the cost and scarcity I wanted to try something cheap. With the adapter (eBay) this “tube” was just over $50.

IMG_2494.jpeg

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #9,459 of 9,577
I read about using 2 A2293/CV4079 tubes in place of 1 6AS7G. I scoured the forums for meaningful reviews of these and couldn’t find much.
I fell in love with the Western Electric 421a for technicality, staging, imaging and details. I found the GEC A1834/6AS7G more enjoyable for longer listening and it’s became my go to.

With 50hrs+ runtime on the A2293 pair I’m impressed. They have super impactful bass, better than average detail, and a hit of that euphonic character that the GEC 6AS7G has. The stage feels smaller. And I play them 9-12dB lower than any other tube on average in this amp. They’re LOUD. But also quiet with no input coming in.

I’m going to keep them in for a while, roll the pre, and report back with a longer term review when I have more experience with them. So far the A1834 is still my favorite, but given the cost and scarcity I wanted to try something cheap. With the adapter (eBay) this “tube” was just over $50.

IMG_2494.jpeg
Gorgeous Crack-a-2-ah. I agree about those sweet twin GECs.

The reason you didn't find much, is the A2293/CV4079 Listener's Cabal want to keep it that way. It's the last great, formerly cheap, output triode. Also, there is no A2293/CV4079 Listener's Cabal. However, when your post and this one is removed by the mods... well... the 5998 Cabal have outrageous pricing levels to maintain. :ksc75smile:

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #9,461 of 9,577
These tubes are utter rubbish. They make your ears bleed and then kill your interest in audio and music. Stay away from them! :sunglasses:
^^^ This right here. From the President of the A2293 Cabal - Scandinavian Division.

Oh wait... there is no president, there is no cabal, no Scandinavian division, just some leftover tubes from a previous century - because they sound terrible - being foisted on the tin-eared by unsavory profiteers. :wink:

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #9,463 of 9,577

Beautiful build of the Crackatwoa it's pretty rare to see someone go the extra mile and do volume control panel as well 👏 👏

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #9,465 of 9,577
Can anyone help me identify what kind of tube this is?

1706933957917.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back