For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Dec 7, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #9,076 of 9,589
Possibly but one might infer from the circumstantial evidence that they are Chinese knockoffs.
China is a big country and apart from Shuguang and PS Vane I am sure some company there could tool up to produce knockoffs in say Nanjing as opposed to Shenzhen/ Guangzhou.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #9,077 of 9,589
Possibly but one might infer from the circumstantial evidence that they are Chinese knockoffs.
China is a big country and apart from Shuguang and PS Vane I am sure some company there could tool up to produce knockoffs in say Nanjing as opposed to Shenzhen/ Guangzhou.
They could indeed, but why knockoff an obscure low value French brand when Western Electric and GEC exist
China already make Western Electric copies, but they sell as copies not forgeries
I don't think the tube market is big enough for a criminal enterprise. Perhaps some employees could use the factory after hours to produce forgeries, but China is not lawless and the government looks very poorly on anything that damages Chinas reputation

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #9,078 of 9,589
They could indeed, but why knockoff an obscure low value French brand when Western Electric and GEC exist
China already make Western Electric copies, but they sell as copies not forgeries
I don't think the tube market is big enough for a criminal enterprise. Perhaps some employees could use the factory after hours to produce forgeries, but China is not lawless and the government looks very poorly on anything that damages Chinas reputation
They are sols as 'brand new'. Any original tubes would be new old stock. The AliExpress advert on scrolling down shows them selling Tung Sol and other Western brands. The Chinese must be doing a roaring trade relabelling old stock instead of churning out new ones from their factories.
The counterfeit aspect of any goods concerns the labelling of something to be what it is not.

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #9,079 of 9,589
They are sols as 'brand new'. Any original tubes would be new old stock. The AliExpress advert on scrolling down shows them selling Tung Sol and other Western brands. The Chinese must be doing a roaring trade relabelling old stock instead of churning out new ones from their factories.
The counterfeit aspect of any goods concerns the labelling of something to be what it is not.

I wouldn't trust aliexpress "vacuum tube" vendors btw

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #9,081 of 9,589
I have bought from AliExpress before but the process can be quite complicated, so I prefer other options
The Tung-Sol tubes are new/current production a Chinese company legitimately purchased the brand rights
Relabeling in the tube world involves non-manufacturing wholesale companies legitimately purchasing bulk surplus stock and applying their own brand
I have seen no evidence of malicious counterfeit, I have seen vendors misrepresent rebrands and rebrands which are obviously Russian labeled made in England or Germany

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #9,082 of 9,589
I'm interested in some GEC 6080s' for my WA22, and found these from a UK seller, are they genuine? and possibly worth buying?

Attachments

• 6080-GEC-BACK-600x600.jpg
    6080-GEC-BACK-600x600.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 6080-GEC-FRONT.jpg
    6080-GEC-FRONT.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #9,084 of 9,589
CSF Tele.jpg

Had a good dig around and found these being sold ex China . Price is reasonable and they are listed as CSF not Telefunken but hard to think they are not deliberate fakes
However it is most likely they were printed by CSF for Telefunken

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #9,086 of 9,589
I have bought from AliExpress before but the process can be quite complicated, so I prefer other options
The Tung-Sol tubes are new/current production a Chinese company legitimately purchased the brand rights
Relabeling in the tube world involves non-manufacturing wholesale companies legitimately purchasing bulk surplus stock and applying their own brand
I have seen no evidence of malicious counterfeit, I have seen vendors misrepresent rebrands and rebrands which are obviously Russian labeled made in England or Germany

IMHO, listing Svetlana 6AS7G tubes as British or German made under famous labels and charging hundreds of dollars instead of the $15-30 they are worth, is malicious.

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #9,087 of 9,589

IMHO, listing Svetlana 6AS7G tubes as British or German made under famous labels and charging hundreds of dollars instead of the $15-30 they are worth, is malicious.
I agree some vendors lack scruples, but it is likely the tubes are legal and legitimate
For tax reasons companies could legally claim "Made in X" simply by handling or re-boxing imported product

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #9,088 of 9,589
I'm interested in some GEC 6080s' for my WA22, and found these from a UK seller, are they genuine? and possibly worth buying?
Langrex won't sell you a fake tube, but testing is not rigorous so make sure to use it frequently for a week or two to make sure it doesn't die on you right away. The GEC 6080 is a fantastic tube (it's my favorite 6080), but not the best value due to demand and scarcity. I live in the states and a couple of those--after all is said and done--would be about $500. If it was $350 I would pull the trigger. This particular batch is particularly nice though.

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #9,089 of 9,589

Fortunately I only paid Svetlana prices for these Svetlana's that were made in England by Amperex. 🤣

(note the UFO getter)

6AS7G Amperex 2.jpg

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #9,090 of 9,589
Fortunately I only paid Svetlana prices for these Svetlana's that were made in England by Amperex. 🤣

(note the UFO getter)

6AS7G Amperex 2.jpg
You seem to be a discerning consumer. Can I interest you in a Dumont (GE(c implied) dots of quality) 6as7? Tested a wee bit better than nos and very tightly matched. Any chance you are interested in wege high pricing?
34E61B29-52D1-4A55-AC66-078BCF36C2A7.jpeg

2BE8A4EA-8C3A-4FFD-8439-89DF0780DA1D.jpeg

Sarcasm aside this was the stock tube in my BHC kit. I have made some upgrades since then but this was the tube that got me hooked on vacuum tube amplification.

Attachments

• 439C56AA-8D11-477E-B13F-512A21E316BE.jpeg
    439C56AA-8D11-477E-B13F-512A21E316BE.jpeg
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 071610BD-51E6-4E7E-BDC3-B828283C4BA7.jpeg
    071610BD-51E6-4E7E-BDC3-B828283C4BA7.jpeg
    8.9 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back