For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Dec 14, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #6,751 of 9,574
Nice, expanding possibilities. Do you need adapter and wire to anode cap or just socket adapter for 6AS7 slot?

Just the socket adapter (the cv4079 is single triode tube) . No external anode cap on them though.

Dec 17, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #6,752 of 9,574
Dec 17, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #6,753 of 9,574

To my eyes they all look the same. And further, they look like Sylvania 6080. CEI never made this tube. In this case it appears that they bought them from Sylvania and put their own name on them.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #6,754 of 9,574
To my eyes they all look the same. And further, they look like Sylvania 6080. CEI never made this tube. In this case it appears that they bought them from Sylvania and put their own name on them.
I had read here that the Sylvania wasn't very impressive sounding...that's strange...
I have the original Chinese tube labeled 6N5PJ, an RCA 6080, Svetlana 6H5C and an RCA 6AS7G and I prefer the sound of the CEI to any of them. I had originally purchased most of them for a cheap Douk Audio P7 I impulse bought but that failed and is out for repair.
I then purchased a Monoprice Monolith tube headphone amp that uses the same tubes and in that amp I really enjoy the CEI tube the most...
Maybe I'll grab a Sylvania and see\hear if I like it and sounds comparable to the CEI. Anyone have any input on the Sylvania's?

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #6,755 of 9,574
I had read here that the Sylvania wasn't very impressive sounding...that's strange...
I have the original Chinese tube labeled 6N5PJ, an RCA 6080, Svetlana 6H5C and an RCA 6AS7G and I prefer the sound of the CEI to any of them. I had originally purchased most of them for a cheap Douk Audio P7 I impulse bought but that failed and is out for repair.
I then purchased a Monoprice Monolith tube headphone amp that uses the same tubes and in that amp I really enjoy the CEI tube the most...
Maybe I'll grab a Sylvania and see\hear if I like it and sounds comparable to the CEI. Anyone have any input on the Sylvania's?

Everyone has different gear and different ears. And my advice is to ignore much of what you read and trust your own ears. :)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #6,756 of 9,574
I can see a Sylvania sounding better (for you) from the group you just mentioned. Nice warm tone and guessing your RCA is a top getter (60-70's) :D :D

Dec 17, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #6,757 of 9,574
Everyone has different gear and different ears. And my advice is to ignore much of what you read and trust your own ears. :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. Gigantic +1.

Dec 17, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #6,758 of 9,574
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #6,759 of 9,574

Hopefully the tube is good. Seller states that it was tested on a Western Electric tester that was restored and calibrated by Chris Haedt. Chris was one of the best in the business, but (sadly) passed away over 15 years ago, and probably stopped working on testers well before that. The Hickok-made WE KS-15750 is a very nice tester but also pretty complex, and if it hasn't been calibrated in 15+ years the readings it provides are pretty much worthless. Didn't mean to rain on the parade here, just that some sellers would do better offering less information. :joy:

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #6,760 of 9,574
Dec 17, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #6,761 of 9,574
I am so tempted but just spent a bunch of money on 6j5 and 7a4 tubes (and their variants). I blame @Deyan (for adapters) @JKDJedi (for inspiration to purchase adapters) and @bcowen (I bought 3 of those damn L63 (and a couple of CV1932s for good measure) tubes you recommended just in case one was bad...is this what addiction feels like???)

I agree, “Just in case one was bad” is the best excuse one can give when there’s a bunch of extra tubes you have lying around the house 😅

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #6,762 of 9,574
I am so tempted but just spent a bunch of money on 6j5 and 7a4 tubes (and their variants). I blame @Deyan (for adapters) @JKDJedi (for inspiration to purchase adapters) and @bcowen (I bought 3 of those damn L63 (and a couple of CV1932s for good measure) tubes you recommended just in case one was bad...is this what addiction feels like???)

There's no such thing as too many tubes spares. But feel free to blame everything else on @JKDJedi :grin: :grin: :grin:

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #6,763 of 9,574
[
I was blaming you for the 6L5G experimental challenge I have with @bcowen !! (He doesn't know about it yet) :D

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #6,765 of 9,574
I can see a Sylvania sounding better (for you) from the group you just mentioned. Nice warm tone and guessing your RCA is a top getter (60-70's) :D :D
Actually I find the CEI a bit better at detail retrieval. The stock tube sounds good but is missing something dynamically and comes across a little flat at times but still enjoyable.
I liked the RCA 6080 a lot until I heard the CEI which to me sounds superior. The Svetlana sounded OK but buzzes a bit in my amp and the RCA 6AS7G buzzes even more than the Svetlana. I supposedly have two replacement Svetlana's on the way. We will see if the seller did ship them as its been a while and I've received nadda!
I love the sound of tubes... that texture they relay is addictive and once you've heard it your hooked or at least I was.
I was fortunate enough to sell a wonderful old couple their first new receiver in 40 years and bought the old one from them (Sansui 1000A) and had it serviced. That began my love of tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back