For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Dec 10, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #6,736 of 9,562
You know I would recap it for you, for the life of me I have yet to figure out how you manage to solder with your feet like that.

It's a talent I've acquired. My hands always seem to be busy typing witty retorts to your, um, posts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #6,737 of 9,562
Dec 10, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #6,738 of 9,562
It's a talent I've acquired. My hands always seem to be busy typing witty retorts to your, um, posts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Leave me alone, I am listening to a bottom getter Chatham, maybe Jedi was right, maybe.

Oh and instead of St.Swithin's day I would get your amp back to you by the Ides of July. :ksc75smile:

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #6,739 of 9,562
Dec 10, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #6,740 of 9,562
:fearful:

You've been hittin' that bottle of scotch a wee bit hard, methinks. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
LOL oh wait, I had a top getter Chatham 6080 in an Incubus, never mind. It is still a Chatham, only shorter.5te4re4re4re4re4re4re4re4re4re4re4re4rwq.

Finnegan is typing, he is hoping I leave a tube out but I am wise to him.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #6,741 of 9,562
Go big or go home, and since I'm already home my only choice is to go big. :joy: @therremans has stacked like 731 Vishay 10 uF caps in his Darkvoice to replace the 6 stock caps. I'm going for one big honkin' one. By my measurements it should fit, but if I correctly remember the adage of measure once, cut twice I should be OK. :joy::joy:

1607654912722.png
Bill finds a mundorf that will fit the Darkvoice (by his measurements) after I order the Vishay’s.. But I have a feeling his amp may no longer have a bottom plate once these are installed.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #6,742 of 9,562
Bill finds a mundorf that will fit the Darkvoice (by his measurements) after I order the Vishay’s.. But I have a feeling his amp may no longer have a bottom plate once these are installed.

1607695657963.png

:joy: :sweat_smile: :joy: :joy:

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #6,743 of 9,562
Being able to add larger capacitors caused me to put Bottlehead Cracks in larger cases. I had seen quite a few with parts sticking out the bottom.Best Crack Photo.JPG

It also got me into building cabinets for my designs. I may play around with a Darkvoice sometime just to see what improvements I can make, but the first thing will be getting it out of the existing cabinet and possibly making my own top plate.

As I recall I am running a Tung Sol 5998 in the above Crack.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #6,744 of 9,562
Is that a two piece metal cabinet without a top plate? I would consider gifting you a cabinet sometime, I may even have tiger maple. Top plate to match your Incubus perhaps?

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #6,745 of 9,562
Being able to add larger capacitors caused me to put Bottlehead Cracks in larger cases. I had seen quite a few with parts sticking out the bottom.

It also got me into building cabinets for my designs. I may play around with a Darkvoice sometime just to see what improvements I can make, but the first thing will be getting it out of the existing cabinet and possibly making my own top plate.

As I recall I am running a Tung Sol 5998 in the above Crack.
:raised_hands: I told them about you...they wouldn't listen.. :smirk: #mastercraftsmanship

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #6,746 of 9,562
Is that a two piece metal cabinet without a top plate? I would consider gifting you a cabinet sometime, I may even have tiger maple. Top plate to match your Incubus perhaps?

Thanks Tom. You just made me drool all over my keyboard and now my laptop is shorted out. :laughing::laughing:

Guess I better start packing up the Super Amp. LOL!!

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #6,747 of 9,562
Thanks Tom. You just made me drool all over my keyboard and now my laptop is shorted out. :laughing::laughing:

Guess I better start packing up the Super Amp. LOL!!
I missed out getting a Darkvoice from Drop for $200, I will watch out for one to experiment with. I hate to pay $280 when I know they can be had for a lot less lol. It looks like the cabinet slides together. Mounting things on the front and back is no problem and most likely I would replace the RCA jacks with some I prefer. I may have to make it so an internal pc board can slide into place under holes for the sockets but it can be done. Mounting a transformer cover is simple enough and I have made boxes that slide together so I bet I can work this out. If anyone has a darkvoice with issues they want to sell that could help lol. I can easily spend a weekend building an amp cabinet not counting final finish or making a copper top plate. 21 year old Balvenie generally comes in a gift box and would fit nicely in a large box with an amp, just sayin. :ksc75smile:

Tiger maple with rosewood splines might be doable. A current example:box top.jpg

.pencil box.jpg

HL cabinet.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #6,748 of 9,562
An alternative to 6080's / 6AS7G; The Telefunken ED8000 single triode. Started looking for these last year. They're hard to source and you need two to replace a single 6080. From the datasheet they look very promising. With an internal resistance of only 220 Ohm and a transconductance of 16ma/V it's a perfect candidate for the OTL Bottlehead Crack. Beware you need to wire your own adapter (I used and rewired a CV4079 adapter for mine).

How does it sound? It's a typical Telefunken. Clean, clear; even from top to bottom; bringing out lots of details. Unfortunately they don't have the biggest of soundstage. Nor the most romantic sound. For me personally the GEC CV4079's get the preference. Pair ED8000 with a Telefunken ECC82 for a hard hitting bass but be warned for some sharp and sibilant high's. However they pair perfectly with slightly rolled off drivers.

Here's a pair pictured with Visseaux type 76 drivers.
IMG_7324.JPG

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #6,749 of 9,562
An alternative to 6080's / 6AS7G; The Telefunken ED8000 single triode. Started looking for these last year. They're hard to source and you need two to replace a single 6080. From the datasheet they look very promising. With an internal resistance of only 220 Ohm and a transconductance of 16ma/V it's a perfect candidate for the OTL Bottlehead Crack. Beware you need to wire your own adapter (I used and rewired a CV4079 adapter for mine).

How does it sound? It's a typical Telefunken. Clean, clear; even from top to bottom; bringing out lots of details. Unfortunately they don't have the biggest of soundstage. Nor the most romantic sound. For me personally the GEC CV4079's get the preference. Pair ED8000 with a Telefunken ECC82 for a hard hitting bass but be warned for some sharp and sibilant high's. However they pair perfectly with slightly rolled off drivers.

Here's a pair pictured with Visseaux type 76 drivers.
IMG_7324.JPG

I think you've nailed the Telefunken "house sound" quite eloquently and succinctly. Now a 1950's manufacture Telefunken 6DJ8 (close to unobtanium these days) is one of my favorite tubes of all time (of that type), but most of the other Tele's I've listened to tend more toward a solid-state type character. Nothing at all wrong with that if it fits with the users components, ancillary tubes and preferences, but a "tubey" sound is not what you'll get with most Teles if that's what's desired. I'm waiting on a pair of GEC 4079's to arrive from Langrex...pretty excited to hear them.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #6,750 of 9,562
I think you've nailed the Telefunken "house sound" quite eloquently and succinctly. Now a 1950's manufacture Telefunken 6DJ8 (close to unobtanium these days) is one of my favorite tubes of all time (of that type), but most of the other Tele's I've listened to tend more toward a solid-state type character. Nothing at all wrong with that if it fits with the users components, ancillary tubes and preferences, but a "tubey" sound is not what you'll get with most Teles if that's what's desired. I'm waiting on a pair of GEC 4079's to arrive from Langrex...pretty excited to hear them.
Nice, expanding possibilities. Do you need adapter and wire to anode cap or just socket adapter for 6AS7 slot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back