For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Jun 8, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #2,012 of 9,574
There is a Chinese tube being sold as a newly manufactured 6N13.

Is there any issue sourcing 6AS7Gs, new or current production? I thought they were readily available.

There is no real shortage but it just might be the case that there is no current production of either 6AS7Gs or 6080s. The "new" Chinese tubes aren't necessarily newly manufactured.

Where are the commerce areas in this forum I would like to ask for some tubes and offer others of mine as trade/sale etc.  I am new around here.

1. http://www.head-fi.org/f/41/for-sale-trade-forums

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #2,013 of 9,574
I received the cleaner and the conditioner today. I removed all tubes and used applying via a Q Tip. Tube pins sparkled they looked so good. Re installed and tested.

Zero noise. Noise floor level has lowered as well. Overall sound has improved. A lot smoother.

Thanks so much. I really owe ya.

Listening to this. Amazing.

Glad the deoxit worked for you.  Looks like your lot of "good" tubes just got larger
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #2,014 of 9,574
I received the cleaner and the conditioner today. I removed all tubes and used applying via a Q Tip. Tube pins sparkled they looked so good. Re installed and tested.

Zero noise. Noise floor level has lowered as well. Overall sound has improved. A lot smoother.

Thanks so much. I really owe ya.

Listening to this. Amazing.

Got it today as well, lovely album. Will go see her in 3 weeks!

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #2,015 of 9,574
  I think the gold deoxit is for plated surfaces only. So if you don't have tubes with plated pins go for the red one.

Ha. I thought the gold was like a coating. So I used the red stuff. Then wiped and the applied a coating of the gold.
Will it be harmful having the gold stuff coating?

Glad the deoxit worked for you.  Looks like your lot of "good" tubes just got larger
beerchug.gif

Sure did bud.

Got it today as well, lovely album. Will go see her in 3 weeks!

Lucky bugger. Enjoy the concert.

I was luke warm with her past work. The tempo was just a little slow for me. This one has it's slow songs but just fast enough to keep me interested. Great album.

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #2,016 of 9,574

Ha. I thought the gold was like a coating. So I used the red stuff. Then wiped and the applied a coating of the gold.
Will it be harmful having the gold stuff coating?

Sure did bud.
Lucky bugger. Enjoy the concert.

I was luke warm with her past work. The tempo was just a little slow for me. This one has it's slow songs but just fast enough to keep me interested. Great album.

Here is a guide to using Deoxit:

The red is the D series, the yellow is the gold series

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,017 of 9,574
^

Thank you. So basically:

Normal silver pins use the red and it does the coating.

Gold pins use the gold.

Excellent. I was amazed at the improvement. My WA22 was smooth before however now it has gone up a level.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #2,018 of 9,574
  ^

Thank you. So basically:

Normal silver pins use the red and it does the coating.

Gold pins use the gold.

Excellent. I was amazed at the improvement. My WA22 was smooth before however now it has gone up a level.

I use the red for cleaning and coating the silver pins and also for cleaning gold pins/jacks/plugs that have some oxidation on them.

I use the yellow for coating the gold pins after cleaning with the red.

Also use the yellow on any gold platted RCA jacks and even TRS/XLR plugs or jacks, anywhere there is metal to metal contact that is transferring a signal or power.  Since it is also a lubricant it makes changing tubes a little easier from my experience changing tubes in my Lyr2, Ember and BH Crack.

If you change tubes often (1-2 times a month) don't apply the deoxit every time you swap tubes, it doesn't need it.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #2,019 of 9,574
  I use the red for cleaning and coating the silver pins and also for cleaning gold pins/jacks/plugs that have some oxidation on them.

I use the yellow for coating the gold pins after cleaning with the red.

Also use the yellow on any gold platted RCA jacks and even TRS/XLR plugs or jacks, anywhere there is metal to metal contact that is transferring a signal or power.  Since it is also a lubricant it makes changing tubes a little easier from my experience changing tubes in my Lyr2, Ember and BH Crack.

If you change tubes often (1-2 times a month) don't apply the deoxit every time you swap tubes, it doesn't need it.

Soooooo. The one area I didn't do was remove the Glenn adapters on the drive tubes and clean those pins as they are brand new.
They are gold pins. So therefore I should remove and coat with the gold right?

Sorry about hijacking the thread for a bit. Very educational for any newbies tho.

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #2,021 of 9,574
  Yes
dt880smile.png

By the way, that amp is gorgeous looking.

Okay. Thanks. I will get onto that.

Thanks for the nice comment. It is something I plan to treasure for a long time.

Getting back to 6080/6AS7G. I just secured a deal to take 26 Mullard 6080 tubes from Langrex (13 more sets). That will be my lifetime supply and go to tube for the amp.

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #2,022 of 9,574
The mullards are nice no doubts guess I'd better order a extra set if any are left good for you dude Lol..

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2,023 of 9,574

Okay. Thanks. I will get onto that.

Thanks for the nice comment. It is something I plan to treasure for a long time.

Getting back to 6080/6AS7G. I just secured a deal to take 26 Mullard 6080 tubes from Langrex (13 more sets). That will be my lifetime supply and go to tube for the amp.

Quick beginner question, between the 6080, 6AS7G and 5998 are there noticeable sonic differences?  My Crack came with a 6080 but I changed it to a TS-5998 since it gave a better low end and the sound stage is wider, is there differences among 6080 like the Mullard and Sylvania?

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #2,024 of 9,574
  Quick beginner question, between the 6080, 6AS7G and 5998 are there noticeable sonic differences?  My Crack came with a 6080 but I changed it to a TS-5998 since it gave a better low end and the sound stage is wider, is there differences among 6080 like the Mullard and Sylvania?

Yes, there are noticeable sonic differences between 6080, 6AS7G and 5998. And further, there are sonic differences between different manufacturers. Unfortunately, the pictures have been deleted, but the following post nicely summarizes one person's take on many of these tubes.

http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #2,025 of 9,574

Yes, there are noticeable sonic differences between 6080, 6AS7G and 5998. And further, there are sonic differences between different manufacturers. Unfortunately, the pictures have been deleted, but the following post nicely summarizes one person's take on many of these tubes.

http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

Thanks for the link

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back