Food...Glorious food...and your choice IS?
Apr 27, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #61 of 83
I'm fondest of Mexican--and I don't mean the stuff you can get at El Torito's.

...and BBQ (as in Ribs/Pork Shoulder/etc.) is a US Southern thang.

-Patrick

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #62 of 83
#1) Cincinnati style Chile. Like Skyline Cheese Coneys.
icon10.gif

#2) Fried Chicken.
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #64 of 83
One night just awhile back I drank 16 beers and then sated my late night munchies on a couple pounds of spicy crawfish. I woke up and had a breakfast of four eggs, four slices of toast, quarter pound of potatoes, and four sausage patties, all washed down with some orange juice.
I immediately took an hour nap to rest, then woke up, admired my rippling 6-pack (that stood out in stark relief due to the dehydration the previous night's alcohol caused) in the mirror for ten minutes, then went to the gym and devastated the egos of other patrons by performing three sets of pull-ups with a 45-lb weight strapped to my waist, and then box squatting double my body weight...three times.

I am a King.

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #65 of 83
Japanse food like benihanas is my favorite and I love the food from my ethnicities. Italian and German food I find delicious. Pastas and German deserts and spatzle. Yum!

May 1, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #66 of 83
Okay,

I am familiar with a lot of Asian foods, but still just the popular ones.

Like Thai food I know Padthai.

Vietnamese...Bun and Pho.

For the other foods, can you guys mention some dishes I am missing out on?

Most foreigners stick to the BBQ meat dishes, bibim bup (rice with mixed veggies) and chup chae (crystal noodles) when it comes to Korean food, but there are TONS of foods most Americans would not go near...one of the more weird one that is pretty good is the dhuck ttong jip or "chicken crap house" (that is the literal translation, Esquire magazine called it the "chicken ***** ho**").

Okay, for all you Chinese folks...

What is the MAIN difference between American Chinese food and Chinese Chinese food?
What are some authentic Chinese foods you will not find at the local PF Chang's or Panda Express?

BTW, COOKIEFACTORY,
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
One night just awhile back I drank 16 beers...

(I am getting a hangover)
Quote:

and then sated my late night munchies on a couple pounds of spicy crawfish...

(where are my antacids?)
Quote:

I woke up and had a breakfast of four eggs, four slices of toast, quarter pound of potatoes, and four sausage patties, all washed down with some orange juice...

(I think I am going to be sick)

Quote:

I immediately took an hour nap to rest, then woke up, admired my rippling 6-pack (that stood out in stark relief due to the dehydration the previous night's alcohol caused) in the mirror for ten minutes...

(when I go infront of the mirror~ it usually cracks)
Quote:

then went to the gym and devastated the egos of other patrons by performing three sets of pull-ups with a 45-lb weight strapped to my waist, and then box squatting double my body weight...three times.

(I got tired just reading that...)

Ummm...now where did I put that remote, ice cream and chocolate...?

May 1, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #69 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho
Okay, for all you Chinese folks...

What is the MAIN difference between American Chinese food and Chinese Chinese food?
What are some authentic Chinese foods you will not find at the local PF Chang's or Panda Express?

There are a lot of difference between American Chinese and actual Chinese. For starters there's the variety. China, as you know, is a very big country and almost every part of the country has developed their own dishes, you have Beijing, Shanghi, Hong Kong, and many others in between, and don't forget about Taiwan too. There are literally hundreds of different Chinese dishes.

Another thing I've noticed about American Chinese food is that it's usually more greasy then real Chinese food. There is also a lot of MSG. Contrary to popular belief authentic Chinese dishes do not require ANY MSG.

For more info I direct your attention to this thread.
wink.gif

May 1, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #70 of 83
I agree with YamiTenshi, Americanized Chinese food is catered and prepared to fit the American palate. Dishes like lemon chicken, sweet sour pork or spare ribs, egg foo young, crispy won ton or gau gee are familiar dishes with Americans and are usually prepared heavy with lots of MSG, salt or other condiments to give it flavor. Authenic Chinese food (and the preparation of it) don't require MSG or a lot of seasoning to give it flavor. The flavor is in the food itself and little seasoning are use to enhance it's flavor not to drown it. Authentic Chinese food is prepared to feel light and tender on the palate to allow it's flavor to come thru. Americanized Chinese food is prepared thick and heavy. Most Chinese when they go out to dine, they don't order those dishes mentioned above as there are much better dishes out there. There are also many different styles of Chinese food and cooking, there's Szechuan style, Mandarin style, and Cantonese style. Americanized Chinese food is a simplified version of those.

May 1, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #71 of 83
I agree with warubozu. I find that usually Americanized Chinese food has a stronger taste and stronger sauces. It's not necessarily bad but it's quite repetitive in a fast food kind of way in that everything is pretty similar and you don't have the kind of variety in actual Chinese food. Also some great dishes are missing from the Americanized menu like "fried salty shrimp" (not sure if I translated it correctly) and "la jiao mein, bu jia la jiao" (hot spicy noodles without the hot spice).

May 2, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #74 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
..."la jiao mein, bu jia la jiao" (hot spicy noodles without the hot spice).

huh? I don't get it. It's called hot spicy noodles but it is NOT spicy? Why do they call it that then. What's the catch?

May 2, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #75 of 83
I pretty much love it all. The only thing I'm against is so much heat (spice) that the flavor is lost. I have been fortunate for all of the traveling I have done. I don't have a clue what a lot of the food was called, but that never stopped me from enjoying it.

I've generally stayed with the farm animals and stayed away from the pet varieties. (As far as I know.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back