foobar2000 HD - high sound quality player
Aug 6, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #76 of 94
And how does using a different CPU instruction set affect audio? 

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #77 of 94

Quote:
And how does using a different CPU instruction set affect audio? 

I'm not even sure if it does. I haven't taken the time to critically compare listening to the same files using, say, the SSE3 instruction set versus the SSE4.1. And I doubt if I'll bother. I'll just use the set that's supposedly for my machine's processor and leave it at that, since it doesn't seem to make a difference about whether or not pkshan's Foobar HE supports FLAC on my machine.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #82 of 94
Aug 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #83 of 94
Quote:

http://www.cicsmemoryplayer.com/index.php?n=CMP.03Jitter

http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=692.0
That is about jitter at outputs. Let's assume that matters as much as the PR guys say it does.
Playback software is either bitperfect, or not. Whilst there are such things as "operating system jitter" they have absolutely nothing to do with jitter in the audio signal. Inside the computer, timing is not important. If I copy an audio file to an external hard drive, it does not degrade, regardless of the operating system or other software I am using, as timing is simply not a factor in the same way as realtime transmission.
Jitter occurs in real-time transmission and has precious little to do with your media player. If a media player sounds different and this difference is confirmed under controlled testing, it is clearly far from bitperfect.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #84 of 94

Originally Posted by Willakan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If a media player sounds different and this difference is confirmed under controlled testing, it is clearly far from bitperfect.

Breaking news: the whole "bit-perfect" story is a tale to scare little children off. If Reclock and fubar sound the same to you, then you're a very lucky man.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #85 of 94

Quote:
Breaking news: the whole "bit-perfect" story is a tale to scare little children off. If Reclock and fubar sound the same to you, then you're a very lucky man.

leeperry -- Just for the record, I agree with you on this. Plus, since it would be impossible to listen to audio until it does reach the output stage, I'm not quite sure bit-perfection even matters. Shouldn't we be comparing the output audio with our own knowledge of how music sounds in the real world?

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #86 of 94
Quote:

Well, they definitely do in my case. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #87 of 94
Well, so far we have the classic implied "Your ears clearly aren't as good" from leeperry to justify his position - that's pretty cheap.<sarcasm> I bow down to your bias-proof hearing. </sarcasm>
Back on topic, if you really believe that audio players make a difference, why would you possibly choose this one? There are various "audiophile" music players out there with prettier UIs and tonnes of PR crap about how they offer "higher quality audio processing." Why would anyone choose a half-broken version of Foobar2000, distributed against the Foobar licence agreement?

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #89 of 94
There is no timing reference until the data leaves the soundcard buffers, you cannot have jitter until the sound leaves said buffers, at that point the operating system does not matter any more as far as jitter is concerned. Basically what I'm saying is that the operating system cannot affect true jitter.

What the operating system can do is introduce uncorrelated noise to the jitter spectrum if the sysem is not grounded properly or there are gound loops. This can clearly be heard if you have a groundloop & I can tell you it is uncorrelated so therefore not jitter. If you can hear a difference with a different media player it is only because you have an issue with your grounding, not because of any improvement in the true jitter spectrum. I have tried the cicsmemory player & it's not all it's cracked up to be. Worst of all Its volume control does not work properly & I could not turn the volume lower than about -80db even though is was saying it was going lower the true volume stopped going down.

By the way do not got to cicsmemoryplayers website as it is not safe.

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #90 of 94

Quote:
Can't you read the two links I posted? Having troubles understanding them? bit-perfect isn't quite the whole story when it comes to computer audio.

I read them. As the poster above says, inside the computer jitter is a non-issue. Also, a fair bit of those links are highly speculative to put it mildly - for example asserting that digital cables sound different. Also, regarding hearing a difference due to media players putting more of a strain on the system and resulting in more noise hitting the power supply of the output interface, whilst theoretically possible, it is extraordinarily unlikely - and by that I mean ludicrously unlikely - you would have to have a media player that used the overwhelming majority of CPU time, a terrible power supply and a terribly designed soundcard/onboard audio chip - and even then it is extraordinarily unlikely to be audible. (I'm running out of superlatives here)
Besides, there is no correlation between CPU usage of a given player and how people say it sounds.
In short, BS. Jitter inside the computer is an even bigger red herring than normal jitter, which is a pretty big red herring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back