foobar2000 HD - high sound quality player
May 6, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #16 of 94

[size=10.0pt]Do yourself a favor – go to a local studio and ask engineers who work there if all ASIO-based programs (e.g. Cubase) sound different (and don’t forget to ask how they manage to process recordings in such conditions!). I also suggest you to try a test: send some signal through a digital out (e.g. S-PDIF) and compare data sent and data received – with ASIO you’ll get two bit-identical files (at least with foobar and cplay).[/size]

I've got a sound engineer diploma, I'm well aware of what bit-perfect is and means.

Do yourself a favor - compare a bunch of players - say foobar / uLilith / XXHighEnd / Reclock, and come back telling me that Reclock and foobar sound the same.

May 7, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #17 of 94
If these player plays flac it will be perfect!!!! sounds very good!!!!!!!

May 7, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #18 of 94

Quote:
Do yourself a favor - compare a bunch of players - say foobar / uLilith / XXHighEnd / Reclock, and come back telling me that Reclock and foobar sound the same.

[size=10.0pt]I have downloaded and listened to Lilith along with foobar2k – both sound the same. See no point in listening to others. Of course some players fail to maintain bit-perfect playback, even with ASIO, but that does not mean that bit-perfectness in non-existent. Properly configured player A and player B will sound identical. I also fail to hear a slightest difference in sound played from my foobar2k and Cubase. [/size]

May 7, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #19 of 94
PCM is playing samples with a fixed word length and a fixed sample rate.
Perfect playback is
  1. bit perfect – the samples are not altered
  2. time step perfect – all time steps are exactly equal in length

Bit perfect is relatively easy to obtain.
Time step perfect will never be obtained as there is no perfect clock. There will always be a slight variation (sample rate jitter). If this jitter remains below a certain threshold, it will not be audible.

Experiments like measuring the SPDIF out will tell you if the output is bit perfect.
They won’t tell you anything about the accuracy of the timing
.By design they measure only half of the PCM phenomenon

May 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #21 of 94
When Audio comes into your ears it become an inexact science, i'm really sure i can hear differences between players, try XXHE you may like or not, i like it very much, is bitperfect and sounds different than foobar or ulilith, i'm not saying is better than these players but different, there is alot happening in our computers when a player is doing his job, all these and the way the player works surely affects the sound is producing.

I just try Foobar HD with the new version of Fidelizer 1.5 and is really really great!!!!!!! Flac Please!!!!!

May 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #24 of 94
Quote:
Yes, but a software player has no control over the clock. The bits will either arrive in time or not.

The butterfly effect
Software does have some control of timing issues. 
wink.gif

I'm waiting for a player that models chaos theory in order to get more predictable timing out of a modern computer.

May 10, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #25 of 94

Quote:
I've got a sound engineer diploma, I'm well aware of what bit-perfect is and means.

Reclock+ffdshow configured for bit-perfect playback (Kernel Streaming and "slave reference clock to audio" ticked, you didn't forget to tick that, did you?) sounds absolutely the same as foobar2000 with ASIO and KS. 

May 10, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #26 of 94
Quote:
Reclock+ffdshow configured for bit-perfect playback (Kernel Streaming and "slave reference clock to audio" ticked, you didn't forget to tick that, did you?) sounds absolutely the same as foobar2000 with ASIO and KS. 

Excepting for gapless palyback.  I don't believe there is a way to make any solution involving reclock to be properly gapless.
What use is great sound if it ain't gapless?  I listen to albums and symphonies, not tracks.

May 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #28 of 94

Quote:
Excepting for gapless palyback.  I don't believe there is a way to make any solution involving reclock to be properly gapless.
What use is great sound if it ain't gapless?  I listen to albums and symphonies, not tracks.

Aye but I was just replying to that guy and I believe he was saying that different bit-perfect players would sound different with the same song.
Gapless is a another thing and I obviously wouldn't use anything other than foobar to listen to my music. Reclock with mpc sounds just as good but there's a huge delay when opening each track and I can't live with that. 

May 10, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #29 of 94
Thanks for the new version pkshan!!!!

May 10, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #30 of 94
OK downloaded this - followed the readme and copied the config over

When I click on the program I get a windowed black box pressing B the status bar just says stopped

How do I get it to play ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back