Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #662 of 868
Quote:
This config happens to sound distant on my new IEM, how should I adjust to make the soundstage become smaller?

Try the "reference room" setting in view-->DSP-->Dolby Headphone.

It makes the soundstage smaller :)

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #663 of 868
Quote:
Try the "reference room" setting in view-->DSP-->Dolby Headphone.

It makes the soundstage smaller :)

False, the middle setting "Live room" which I use has the least amount reverb => smallest stage.

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #667 of 868
Which DSP DH  is better, foobar or Xonar STX??

It's actually better to use the foobar2000 in this case because I tweaked the dolby headphone "strength" to be 96 % in the DH wrapper in foobar2000. With ASUS Xonar you'd be equal to 100% DH wrapper setting meaning you have a bit more echo'y sound. (higher dolby headphone signal strength = more reverb). After very extensive testing I found 96 % to be the perfect balance between large soundstage versus suitable reverb ratio (not too high or too little/dry). The more reverb the larger soundstage can be simulated so it's a bit double-edged sword, but I think 96 % is the ideal here, 95% already it starts being too similar to stock config soundstage wise and 97 % the sound starts getting a bit "wet" as in reverby and thus a little "smoother" and this may mask fine details. That's what I balanced it against when tweaking, soundstage capabilities versus detail perception and I believe 96 % is the ideal value for that.

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #669 of 868
Aha, so these means technically are the same thing with the exception of tweaking?
Have you used Xonar?

I have briefly tested an ASUS Xonar D2 card yea and concluded the same thing as I posted, that it's best to use the dolpyh Hph with this foobar config due to Dolby Headphone amplification is set to 96% which works better than Xonar's which will correspond to 100% (where sound will be slightly too reverby (hurts microdetail retrieval even if I enjoy a relatively high reverb presence, I don't want it to mask fine details).

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #670 of 868
@ RPGWIZARD  The amplfication setting only changes the ouput gain and not the soundstage.

I have a Xonar U1 with  the DH "Version 1.1.3".
Differences compared to the Wrapper:

1 support up to 7.1
2 dynamic compression is alway on
3 RS/LS channels are RB/LB with 5.1

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #671 of 868
It's actually better to use the foobar2000 in this case because I tweaked the dolby headphone "strength" to be 96 % in the DH wrapper in foobar2000. With ASUS Xonar you'd be equal to 100% DH wrapper setting meaning you have a bit more echo'y sound. (higher dolby headphone signal strength = more reverb). After very extensive testing I found 96 % to be the perfect balance between large soundstage versus suitable reverb ratio (not too high or too little/dry). The more reverb the larger soundstage can be simulated so it's a bit double-edged sword, but I think 96 % is the ideal here, 95% already it starts being too similar to stock config soundstage wise and 97 % the sound starts getting a bit "wet" as in reverby and thus a little "smoother" and this may mask fine details. That's what I balanced it against when tweaking, soundstage capabilities versus detail perception and I believe 96 % is the ideal value for that.

From 1st page download, I got 109%. Would you mind updating your download link with your new config? :)

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #672 of 868
Quote:
From 1st page download, I got 109%. Would you mind updating your download link with your new config?
smily_headphones1.gif

that is true for the "laid-back" config, They use different values, the laid-back config doesn't sound as reverby due to Freesurround plugin and the goal of this plugin is to have a bigger stage and slightly less "in-your-face" sound hence the bigger value is used. You can also switch between the configs in File -> Preferences -> Playback -> DSP Manager and check the DSP chain presets dropdown list, "Default: Balanced (Forward)" for the forward config (more in your-face-sound) and "Default: Balanced (Laid-back)" for the laid-back sounding one (less in-your-face)

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #673 of 868
I tried out your forward config with my HD650. At first I thought it was strange and I listened to it for a while and I thought to myself, "This is cool but I don't think I'll keep". Then I tried the laid back setting and I liked it better. After a few more listens with the laid back setting I was amazed. I got used to the sound and I relistened to a lot of my favorite songs. The sound of my music totally transformed.

Instead of hearing sound mostly from left and right; for the first time the sound came from left, right and in front of me. It's like my head is enveloped with sound all the way from my left ear, to my face, and finally to my right hear. This gives my music a truly live feel and it sounds amazing. It's as the sound of my music was in a container the whole time and then it became open. Details in the music that were more subtle and congested due to the restraints of stereo sound suddenly became fully fleshed out and because of that the sound improved. I never believed I could hear ever hear any more details in my music but I did. That's truly spectacular. 

I understand the purpose of your config is to simulate 5.1 surround sound. It's like adding extra virtual channels of sound. With the forward setting with those extra channels of sound, it didn't make my HD650 more forward but it definitely sounded more forward making it a little too chaotic; like sound overload (and I like forward sound). With the laid back sound however, it's as if the virtual channels were pushed back a little more giving a bigger field of listening and thus making it sound a lot more natural and ultimately very realistic. That's what I really like about your config: it adds surround sound while still sounding very realistic and natural. I no longer have to go live concerts anymore! (jk I'll still go however your settings make it sound very close to the real thing :) )

Awesome job!

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #674 of 868
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Yes that's my goal, to provide virtual surround while sounding NATURAL and without tampering the quality (audibly, what happens to the signal itself I'm not interested in, I'm only interested in the audible end result). Barely any surround DSPs on their own manage to sound natural, in fact I never encountered one, they always overdid it in one way or another. I however only tweaked this config with the goal to not tamper quality and try to add as convincing surround sound experience as possible without going overboard (it's always a matter of constant balancing, surround sound vs natural sound).

Then about the 2 different configs, this is where we start to touch the subject of sound psychology. Having spent time on this forum I've realized there are mainly 2 different listeners. Some people seem to want to listen and analyzing the details in the music, hearing all those subtle tiny microdetails and more the merrier and this brings the satisfaction, a more laid-back listening with a soundstage that isn't so much in-your-face but instead provides an experience as if you were sitting in a large concert hall hearing all the different instruments very clearly from different directions. Sennheiser HD800 comes to my mind as a prime example that provides a very good this kind of experience out of box. For those the "laid-back" config is more suitable. I'd call these "audiophiles"

Then we have people like me, that primarily as first priority want to feel engaged with the music, you want to tap your foot, you want to sing along, you want to dance to the music and prefer a more "in-your-face" sound and a distant and very large soundstage can actually be countereffective. Hearing the details comes 2nd priority as scientifically speaking a laid-back sound with less in your-face sound does provide a technical advantage if your goal is to be able to hear maximum detail richness. I.e. they purposedly sacrifice detail retrieval for more engaging listening experience. Especially Grado headphones comes to my mind or bass boosted headphones for bassheads etc. For these people it's more about the feeling you get from the music which is envoked on entirely different grounds than analyzing music and hearing as much details as possible (different parts of the brain is activated most likely). Here the more forward soundstage helps a lot for people with these kind of listening preferences. These kind of listeners I'd call "music enthusiasts"

The two configs are meant to cater towards these 2 target groups. Ultimately only yourself can decide which one is right for you! Sound psychology is such an overlooked matter in this hobby, I'd say it's due to my understanding of what brings many people satisfaction in music listening that has helped me to optimize the configs, I haven't tweaked blindly, I've had a goal to tweak the configs with these 2 sound abilities, the opposite "soundstaging" sound signatures. Of course some people are more in the middle or more extreme towards one direction, I'd say these two configs are reasonably balanced in that sense in the sound signature they provide, it's not too extreme so that it works with both a large scale of listeners as well as type of music. 

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #675 of 868
^ Nice explanation RPG! Color me a "in your face forward config" kinda guy lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back