Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Sep 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #481 of 868
MY god RPG, my props to you! Truely astonishing on my Samsung Ultrabook-> Calyx Coffee DAC-> Hifiman EF5-> Hifiman HE400. I always thought my CD player hooked to my amp was the best, but with your help, my PC sounds miraculously improved! 

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #482 of 868
Thanks a million for this share! I downloaded the preconfigured version because I'm lazy but regardless thank you!

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #483 of 868
Quote:
Thanks a million for this share! I downloaded the preconfigured version because I'm lazy but regardless thank you!

The manual install is only included for the paranoid users who think there might be a virus in there and feels more comfortable setting it up themselves. :)

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #484 of 868
Also the manual setup would allow me to update my installed foobar rather than being stuck at 1.1.6 forever.  I did try the manual install but Electri-Q was constantly dying.  I'll have to look into how to keep the portable version up to date.

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #485 of 868
Yea I've tried the latest but I thought it sounded slightly different (worse) so always went back. This is the reason I haven't updated, the same thing can be said about WASAPI 3.0, it sounds better with this old WASAPI version. Newer isn't always better. :)

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #488 of 868
Well I gave it another try, the latest foobar2000 with the newest wasapi plugin and used it for a while now with good results so must have been something I forgot to change the previous time (I think possibly I was using stereo speaker config in windows when usually using 5.1). I'm probably gonna update the config in the next few days hopefully, quite busy these days. I'm also thinking of dumping the laid-back config (altough I won't completely remove it but put it under a "spoiler" tag to clean up the first page a little and make it more reader friendly and as the "forward" config is moving more and more towards a "univerally usable" setting I will probably just rename it to just a "dolby headphone" config or something instead of referring it as "DH: Forward". I also found out by deleting themes.fth files in foobar2000 folder will reset the foobar2000 appearence to the same as launching foobar2000 for the first time when a window will popup when you get to make some quick layout settings according to your preferences which I will probably do with this for the next update too.

I'm wondering if one simply cannot just copy over the theme.fth file from his other foobar2000 install and it might work.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #489 of 868
Thanks RPGWizard. It gave sort of a bigger soundstage feel. Love it on my DT1350's. Awesome videos btw.

Btw, there seems to be a problem. After I play songs using foobar2k, then play youtube on google chrome, no sound came out from youtube. Weird, seems to mess up the default output of other applications maybe. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #490 of 868
Quote:
Thanks RPGWizard. It gave sort of a bigger soundstage feel. Love it on my DT1350's. Awesome videos btw.

Btw, there seems to be a problem. After I play songs using foobar2k, then play youtube on google chrome, no sound came out from youtube. Weird, seems to mess up the default output of other applications maybe. 

Do you use WASAPI? If you do then that's the case. WASAPI bypasses everything related to Windows when it is enabled, allowing bit-perfect playback.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #492 of 868
Quote:
Yup, using WASAPI. Any easy method to solve this? I need to close foobar2k and wait for awhile for it to have sound on google. 

There's no way to "solve" this, it's intended to work like that like JackeShan explained above. Basicly happens if you start playing foobar2000 while Youtube or whatever is playing sounds (which is using DirectSound output). It won't happen if foobar2000 is running but is on pause/idle and if you happen to hit play on foobar2000 you might be lucky and can just close/stop foobar2000 and reload page and it might still play the sounds in the browser but if it doesn't you'll have to restart the webbrowser (altough no need to wait though, just closing and reopening and it will instantly play sounds again).

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #493 of 868
Quote:

There's no way to "solve" this, it's intended to work like that like JackeShan explained above. Basicly happens if you start playing foobar2000 while Youtube or whatever is playing sounds (which is using DirectSound output). It won't happen if foobar2000 is running but is on pause/idle and if you happen to hit play on foobar2000 you might be lucky and can just close/stop foobar2000 and reload page and it might still play the sounds in the browser but if it doesn't you'll have to restart the webbrowser (altough no need to wait though, just closing and reopening and it will instantly play sounds again).

Alright cool. That's a give and take I'd to make for sound quality. :D 

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #494 of 868
The preconfigured installs have now been updated to the latest newly released final version of foobar2000 v1.1.15 and includes WASAPI 3.0 plugins. I also deleted the theme.fth so that users can quickly setup their preferred layout on first startup (alternatively you might be able to just copy over your old theme.fth in case you want to preserve your current look). 

Wasapi 3.0 brings improvements such as drasticly reduced latency and it's been introduced two different modes now, an "Event" and a "Push" mode for an improved compatibility with for example USB DACs, I personally recommend the "Event" mode, to my ears it sounds better but the "Push" mode then again offers slightly wider soundstage at the expense of depth and positional cues accuracy (the positioning seems a little more defuse).

Links are available on the first page as usual or check below

Portable foobar2000 v1.1.15 "Forward" configuration: foobar2000.v1.1.15.Dolby.Headphone.(Forward)-RPGWiZaRD.zip - RECOMMENDED! (Updated on 23.9.2012)

Portable foobar2000 v1.1.15 "Laid-back" configuration: foobar2000.v1.1.15.Dolby.Headphone.(Laid-back)-RPGWiZaRD.zip OUTDATED! (Updated on 23.9.2012)

Note: For best result I also strongly recommend changing to WASAPI output manually in the foobar2000 File -> Preferences -> Playback -> Output afterwards, it's been set to Direct Sound by default for compatibility reasons. If you use WASAPI you'll need to match your output device setting with the same bitrate as set in foobar2000 and make sure the music files are using same sample rate (for example 44100 Hz) as set in the output device properties in windows control panel or else use a resampler in foobar2000.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #495 of 868
Wizard, please update Manual install fbcp file
biggrin.gif
Thank you for your work!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back