Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Nov 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #541 of 868
Quote:

My friend all I can say is that you are amazing on the this type of work, It brings life to my HD800, i notice you remove a lot of the DSP manager setting you had before in .16 version I love the new ones but i do got to say i miss the Base head lol it help my senns to bring abit more of the ump lol

any way thank you for your work and have nice holidays. 

Remove what settings? I shouldn't remove any settings, I just did tiny bit EQ tweaks and changed Dolby Headphone amplification slider one step etc, may be hint of it not working correctly for you.

If you're talking about the different EQ presets then I removed them cuz I hadn't updated those for as long as I can remember and they didn't sound as good as the default, balanced EQ setting as they weren't using the same other plugin settings (channel mixer etc). Primarily my goal with this config is to provide an enhanced soundstage without affecting sound quality and keep the stock FR balance. But I'll look into if I'd maybe  make new EQ presets with updated config possibly.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #542 of 868
Tweaking some presets right now, only added pop, hip hop and classical so far but I'm very satisfied with the hip-hop and classical preset.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #543 of 868
I got the updated version and noticed Replaygain is on. Is there any reason for this? I'm not entirely sure what it does, or how it affects the sound, but on certain albums where the album gain is -8 db or so I have to crank the volume on my amp all the way up.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #544 of 868
Quote:
I got the updated version and noticed Replaygain is on. Is there any reason for this? I'm not entirely sure what it does, or how it affects the sound, but on certain albums where the album gain is -8 db or so I have to crank the volume on my amp all the way up.

Replay gain equalizes the loudness of every track to the same level (standard is 89db but you can choose higher or lower values in the menu). If you use the album gain instead of track gain  the difference in loudness between tracks in a selected album isn`t changed.

If you have a track with 97db and use dsps, it is possible that for example a equalizer adds 3db and you would get clipping without using Replaygain.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #545 of 868
Oh I didn't even know it was on xD I blame foobar2000 for enabling it on default! Not sure if it's a good idea or not with this config, I haven't really tested that much.

EDIT: I think it set to disabled or "track" and "prevent clipping according to peak" works best with this config but it's barely any difference whatsoever.

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #546 of 868
Quote:
Oh I didn't even know it was on xD I blame foobar2000 for enabling it on default! Not sure if it's a good idea or not with this config, I haven't really tested that much.

EDIT: I think it set to disabled or "track" and "prevent clipping according to peak" works best with this config but it's barely any difference whatsoever.

Thank you for the great work and interesting thread of yours!
I am using your "Forward" configuration with my LCD-2s and like it very much.
I would like however to modify one thing in this configuration - electric-q setting (to make LCD-2 sound a little brigher). 
I have already created the desired curve in electric-q and save it as "my" preset. However I am experiencing the following problem - each time I start foobar the electric-q setting reverts to the original (yours) setting.
Is there a way to make electric-q load "my" preset by default? (so I don't have to change it manually each time)
Thank you!

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #547 of 868
Quote:
Thank you for the great work and interesting thread of yours!
I am using your "Forward" configuration with my LCD-2s and like it very much.
I would like however to modify one thing in this configuration - electric-q setting (to make LCD-2 sound a little brigher). 
I have already created the desired curve in electric-q and save it as "my" preset. However I am experiencing the following problem - each time I start foobar the electric-q setting reverts to the original (yours) setting.
Is there a way to make electric-q load "my" preset by default? (so I don't have to change it manually each time)
Thank you!

I will get back to you later today, I'm at work atm but I'd also need to update the config slightly so. But what you need to do is to save the DSP chain config in preferences and DSP manager at the dropdown box which saves all the plugin settings. Saving the EQ preset inside Electri-q doesn't work properly when using in conjunction with the VST plugin host app within foobar2000 so you have to save the whole foobar2000 config instead.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #548 of 868
Quote:

I will get back to you later today, I'm at work atm but I'd also need to update the config slightly so. But what you need to do is to save the DSP chain config in preferences and DSP manager at the dropdown box which saves all the plugin settings. Saving the EQ preset inside Electri-q doesn't work properly when using in conjunction with the VST plugin host app within foobar2000 so you have to save the whole foobar2000 config instead.

Thanks, that was also my conclusion - another instance of Foobar.
Actually I've noticed that when I switch to my saved DSP settings, it sometimes loads my EQ preset automatically and sometimes it loads yours preset. I don't know yet what's the cause of it.
All the best.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #549 of 868
Quote:
Thanks, that was also my conclusion - another instance of Foobar.
Actually I've noticed that when I switch to my saved DSP settings, it sometimes loads my EQ preset automatically and sometimes it loads yours preset. I don't know yet what's the cause of it.
All the best.

I don't know either. I just use File -> Preferences -> Playback -> DSP Manager and the "DSP chain presets" dropdown box to store my settings, at least for me it's worked perfectly and to me the last time used config is always used while starting up foobar2000 too.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #550 of 868
Quote:

I don't know either. I just use File -> Preferences -> Playback -> DSP Manager and the "DSP chain presets" dropdown box to store my settings, at least for me it's worked perfectly and to me the last time used config is always used while starting up foobar2000 too.

Me too, however I have an impression that if I have more than one individual preset in electric-q EQ, it doesn't always change with changing "DSP chain presets".
I'll look into it more. If I find out anything interesting I will let you know. Thanks!

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #552 of 868
Quote:
Thanks for portable foobar, RPGWiZaRD. Ive been struggling with the manual install. Btw, is there any way that u could set the sampe rate higher than 48khz without using Resampler in foobar?

No, but why do you need that? I'm using 44100 myself since 95% of my music is.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #554 of 868
Been using your config for a while now to listen to music on my pc and really like how it enhances the sound of headphones. I personally prefer the way the laidback config sounds over the forward one its more open and provides a bigger soundstage.  Wondering if you ever figured out a way to get this working perfectly system wide for all the audio playing on my pc including games and videos not just music from foobar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back