Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Jan 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #571 of 868
With the new update I am unable to load my tweaked version of Foobar because "this beta version is over 4 weeks old." I did have a saved DSP preset with my settings. How can I access this and apply it to the new version of Foobar?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just copied the folder in which I had my preset saved and overwrote that file rather than an older version I had!

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #572 of 868
Quote:
With the new update I am unable to load my tweaked version of Foobar because "this beta version is over 4 weeks old." I did have a saved DSP preset with my settings. How can I access this and apply it to the new version of Foobar?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just copied the folder in which I had my preset saved and overwrote that file rather than an older version I had!

Yea I know, I will update the foobar2000 version soon. Just a lot of boring work and was busy uploading some hardstyle & mastering tracks for my hardstyle promote channel as usual.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #573 of 868
Update; Foobar2000 updated to v1.2.2 as well as minor tweaks to "Forward" and "Laid-back" configs

OK, finally got around to update the foobar2000 to the latest v1.2.2. Also updated the configs for both Forward & Laid-back versions very slightly. First page updated or check below for preconfigured install links.

The "forward" config is suitable for: People who prefer a more forward/"in-your-face" sounding soundstage (but improved/larger stage with better imaging/positioning and separation over stock foobar2000), more engaging listening experience. Suitable for people who like the Grado sound or listen to lots of rock, EDM, dance, pop and acoustic etc music. If unsure I'd first try this one as it's more closer to stock foobar2000 sound.

The "laid-back" config is suitable for: People who prefer a more laid-back sounding soundstage with better transparency and more spacious/wider soundstage, more relaxed listening. Suitable for people who prefer sound signatures by for example AKG K70x or Sennheiser HD800 or listen to a lot of classical/orchestra, blues etc. music. Try this if you think the "forward" config is fatiguing or the vocals too "in-your-face".

Portable foobar2000 v1.2.2 "Forward" configuration: foobar2000.v1.2.2.Dolby.Headphone.(Forward)-RPGWiZaRD.zip - (Updated on 27th January, 2013)

Portable foobar2000 v1.2.2 "Laid-back" configuration: foobar2000.v1.2.2.Dolby.Headphone.(Laid-back)-RPGWiZaRD.zip - (Updated on 27th January, 2013)

PLEASE NOTE! TO BE SURE IT WORKS AS INTENDED, MANUALLY SELECT AFTERWARDS THE DOLBYHPH.DLL IN DOLBY HEADPHONE WRAPPER IN FILE -> PREFERENCES -> PLAYBACK -> DSP MANAGER. SELECT DOLBY HEADPHONE PLUGIN IN THE LIST -> CONFIGURE SELECTED AND BROWSE FOR THE LOCATION OF THE DOLBYHPH.DLL FILE WHICH IS LOCATED BY DEFAULT IN THE FOOBAR2000\COMPONENTS\ FOLDER

Note: For best result I recommend changing to WASAPI (event) output manually in the foobar2000 File -> Preferences -> Playback -> Output afterwards, it's been set to Direct Sound by default for compatibility reasons. If you use WASAPI you'll need to match your output device setting with the same bitrate as set in foobar2000 and make sure the music files are using same sample rate (for example 44100 Hz) as set in the output device properties in windows control panel or else use a resampler in foobar2000.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #577 of 868
Quote:

so there is no way to do it? somehow? on another player or?

You can buy a  soundcard which support this function.  The 7.1 upmix can be done in foobar.

Quote:

Not that I know of. Dolby Headphone itself supports 5.1, not sure how the ASUS soundcards get around that.

I'm not sure but  Dolby Headphone should support up to 7.1 and 192 kHz. Only the DH.dll used in software DVD-Players don't support more than 5.1 and 48 KHz. 

The   driver software  of my asus xonar u1 uses "Dolby Headphone Version 1.1.3" and support 7.1. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #578 of 868
I just found this thread and used the settings provided to dramatically improve the sound output from f2k. The difference was night and day from what I had to your "forward" settings. Thank you very much!!!!

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #579 of 868
I like many of the results the presets make, but the Dolby makes the sound too muffled for me and unfortunately I had to give up on it.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #581 of 868
You should have a try with the ToneBoosters  surround sound VST. It is freely available at their site and I find it does not interfere with the volume or resolution of the music played back.

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isonesurround/

For a real kick run the Isonesurround plugin and then the omnisone plugin and set the sound stage to wide sources and spread them to far left and right.  It will breathe new life into your headphones.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #582 of 868
I've tried with that plugin already, didn't sound as natural/accurate as I'd like. What I'm looking for is enhancing the soundstage without making it sound artificial or unnatural. Most HRTF tweaking plugins don't quite pass that. I rather have a subtle soundstage improvement with very natural sound than very boosted soundstage that sounds artificial (metallic treble, graininess etc)

Basically I'm looking for stock foobar2000 sound without any audible impact on sound quality and just expanded/tweaked positioning & soundstage so that every instruments sounds the same, just positioned differently. :) True to original sound is more important than impressive soundstage.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #583 of 868
That is quite curious as my experience is the opposite. I found the Toneboosters plug ins to be more natural (closer to having no plug ins at all) with my system. I wonder if the DAC involved has something to do with it. The only distortion I have is a slight imbalance biased toward the right channel. As far as tone and timbre goes the sound quality seems unaffected.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #584 of 868
Quote:
That is quite curious as my experience is the opposite. I found the Toneboosters plug ins to be more natural (closer to having no plug ins at all) with my system. I wonder if the DAC involved has something to do with it. The only distortion I have is a slight imbalance biased toward the right channel. As far as tone and timbre goes the sound quality seems unaffected.

Should sound the same on every setup, if it doesn't sound very close to stock foobar2000 with my config it's probably not working as it should, did you for example load the dolbyhph.dll afterwards in the dolby wrapper?

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #585 of 868
I'm sure I have the software issue in hand here:) Trouble arises when we go from a Behringer usb board to the M Audio Transit (unsung little 24 bit wonder to be had for bargain basement prices on the used market.) Devilish little item to get working (no news there, as M Audios driver software is legendary for instabilities on the PC platform).  There seems to be a rather huge disagreement between the wireless LAN card and the Transit causing no end of grief. As well, there seems to be an undocumented phantom mic voltage output that randomly draws on the USB bus which causes some interesting variances in performance. Disabling the wireless card has, so far resulted in a dramatic change in sound quality so we are on the right track. I suspect cutting the power trace somewhere inside the unit will stabilize it even further.

Going to unzip the config in a new location and start over with a "sterile" installation now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back