Foobar 0.9 out!
Mar 25, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #91 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
FLAC files are already highly compressed. Depending on your FLAC settings, attempting additional compession with RAR/ZIP/7z would not only result in minimal or zero space savings, it would add a layer of complexity to the equation that just doesn't need to be there. No benefit.

I am pretty sure I read on another forum a guy compressed or I supose "zipped" you may call it his 70-80 gb flacc collection into a 7-zip or whatever, and then had it play back in foobar2000. I'm not sure how it's possible to play back a .7zip or whatever the format is, but maybe it's possible. Anything including flacc can be compressed drastically when put into a rar or some sort of compression, there are people who have spent hours compressing gigabytes of data into maybe a mere 20-30 megabytes, but it takes a very long time to compress & then read.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #92 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I am pretty sure I read on another forum a guy compressed or I supose "zipped" you may call it his 70-80 gb flacc collection into a 7-zip or whatever, and then had it play back in foobar2000. I'm not sure how it's possible to play back a .7zip or whatever the format is, but maybe it's possible. Anything including flacc can be compressed drastically when put into a rar or some sort of compression, there are people who have spent hours compressing gigabytes of data into maybe a mere 20-30 megabytes, but it takes a very long time to compress & then read.

Try compressing a FLAC file that's been encoded at even the default setting and see what you get.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #93 of 124
Quote:

Try compressing a FLAC file that's been encoded at even the default setting and see what you get.

Gonna give it a try now.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #94 of 124
Quote:

Hm, your right, you get a .rar that's actually bigger. Heh, they must had taken compression very seriously when they created this format.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #95 of 124
Exactly.
icon10.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #96 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I think you can compress your flacc files or just songs with 7z or winrar or something of the kind, and foobar2000 has the ability to play them, thus freeing up hard disk space.

That'd be quite cool. I don't need any space freed up as yet, but you could 7z up your music and store it easier.

Tell us your findings JaG.

edit - not good
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #97 of 124
Mar 25, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #98 of 124
Oh, and this guy did say you can playback compressed 7zips (right from the archive) in foobar2000. I haven't tried 7zip, and I assume it's the same, but it'de be neat if you could even compress your flacs by 20%, but it seems like they are compressed as much as possible already.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #99 of 124
I can only imagine WAVs would compress, which is basically what FLAC is anyway.
Unless they were made substantially smaller by archiving, I can't imagine why you'd do it.

Besides all my WAVs have been converted to FLAC.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #100 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
So any news about ASIO? It won't come in 0.9 at all or what? I think I keep on using 0.8.3. There's nothing wrong in it so I guess it's the same.

ASIO will eventually become available, either through the plugin developer or Peter himself, but it won't be until after the 0.9.1 release.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #101 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
That'd be quite cool. I don't need any space freed up as yet, but you could 7z up your music and store it easier.

7 Zip set to "Ultra" compression actually results in a larger archive than both WinRAR and the original FLAC file.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #102 of 124
Quote:

7 Zip set to "Ultra" compression actually results in a larger archive than both WinRAR and the original FLAC file.

Yeah, pretty neat actually. What about wavpack for dvd-a though? How would that work compresesd? I'de give it a try, but right now I'm busy and it'de take a while to compress some of those ultra-large files anyway.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #103 of 124
Sorry, but was just re-reading this thread about the guy on the other forum 'DeusExMachina' - the guy who was compressing files over and over in an effort to try and save space before burning a disc!!! Did he not realise that these files carry overheads (indexes, headers etc.) and would result in a bigger file if compressing multiple times?

I really don't think you can take what he says to seriously! I mean he was testing the different sound quality between lossless formats and came to the conclusion that flac is worse than a wav. Hmm, might be the fact that he was resampling there. Bit of a pointless post, but he just made me laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back