Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #20,431 of 20,602
I'm very happy indeed with my new set-up of Hifiman HE-R10P's, T + A HA200 & Cayin N8ii (using OIDIO Sound Mongrel cable as before). The HE6 has a sensitivity of 83.5dB, why would any sensible (and informed person) buy such an insensitive headphone for DAP use?. The R10P has a sensitivity of 100dB.
I didn’t know and didn’t realize you wanted to use the cans for portable use.

I also did not realize people bought R10P for portal use. 😱

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #20,432 of 20,602
Driver Issue - My utopia had no issue in usual listening. However, with 4.5~5db of 45~60Hz bass lift (roon) and volume around 85dB, I could notice that the units are clipping with click sounds (It was not digital clipping. gain setting was conservative). I was afraid of using eq with utopia since then :grimacing:.
Guessing that's about the same bass EQ as Oratory1990 profile does and clipping at 85 dB is very early with normal music, i would consider warranty services if possible.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #20,433 of 20,602
I didn’t know and didn’t realize you wanted to use the cans for portable use.

I also did not realize people bought R10P for portal use.
Your comments made me smile, thank you. Well anytime you & your headphones move away from your desktop amp/dac then it's portable use, no? So I get up, splash my face in cold water to wake up, put on my leather mini handbag, stick my ginormous Cayin N8ii inside it (solves the heat, size & weight problem), stick my R10P's on my head, go downstairs to my kitchen, make & then eat breakfast. Part 2 of waking up is lots of strong fresh coffee! And it doesn't matter if it's a bit miserable outside, having top quality music on the go gets one in a happy mood. As I am typing this, my R10P's are plugged into the 4.4mm Pentaconn output on my T + A HA200, listening to Mid Air album by Romy (the XX singer) on TIDAL +.
And I take my main headphones + my Focal Bathys + N8ii on holidays so yes, the kit goes on a 'portable' journey...........

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #20,434 of 20,602
You should get all of them and figure out what sound profile you like the best.

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #20,435 of 20,602
I think you should set aside a visit to HiFi shops in your area/country or even over the border into another European country to audition these TOTL offerings to see which one suits you best. By posting this question on each of the threads for each headphone, you are likely to get equal weighted responses which will not help you. Trust your ears and take a weekend or day-off trip to listen to what sounds best for your ears and buy that. There is no right or wrong answer in this hobby.

Regards
GG

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #20,436 of 20,602
The advice about trying them all for yourself is correct. If you are unable to do so, then please try your best to explain your intended sound signature and things that matter to you (detail, bass, mids, treble, soundstage, etc) and we can recommend some.

I have a TT2 and Utopia as my current setup and it’s amazing.

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #20,437 of 20,602
I think you should set aside a visit to HiFi shops in your area/country or even over the border into another European country to audition these TOTL offerings to see which one suits you best. By posting this question on each of the threads for each headphone, you are likely to get equal weighted responses which will not help you. Trust your ears and take a weekend or day-off trip to listen to what sounds best for your ears and buy that. There is no right or wrong answer in this hobby.

Regards
GG
good advice and he shouldn't be cross-posting

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #20,438 of 20,602
Focal Utopia is a safe choice. It is just so effortless and natural.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #20,439 of 20,602
I have a question about effectiveness using a cable adapter.
I'm using a balanced 4.4mm balanced cable for my Utopia with an adapter that goes from 4.4mm balanced end to an XLR balanced end.
This so I can use it balanced from a Woo WA22 amp.

What I'm wondering about is whether the sound quality would be better using a cable terminated in XLR rather than using the adapter?

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #20,440 of 20,602
I'm using a balanced 4.4mm balanced cable for my Utopia with an adapter that goes from 4.4mm balanced end to an XLR balanced end.

What I'm wondering about is whether the sound quality would be better using a cable terminated in XLR rather than using the adapter?
In theory, yes. In practice, IMHO, no. Others will disagree.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #20,441 of 20,602

Like any circuit (and yes, the amp to the headphone cable to the headphone is part of the circuit), simpler is always better. Is this AUDIBLE? Depends on the adapter, I suppose.

Fwiw, when I ordered my Utopia cable from Forza Audio, I also ordered 2 "pigtail" adapters so that I could plug into any amp with the exact same cabling & materials (though I suppose even that can't account for the connectors themselves? Fwiw, I don't hear any degredation. YMMV.)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #20,442 of 20,602

Unless it is cheaply made with poor quality connections, unlikely. I use as well.

IIRC the Utopia comes with an XLR cable.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #20,443 of 20,602

I use a 4.4mm to XLR adapter for my DSHA-3FN and it sounds absolutely fine. I tested A/B tested it on my A90 and couldn't hear a lick of difference. Isn't the termination of ANY cable basically an adapter anyway? If there were some mystery mojo that caused problems with adapters, how would any other cable termination not be problematic?

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #20,445 of 20,602
Just received the new Utopia today... breaking them in right now!
UTP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back