Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #20,283 of 20,796
I know it’s common for Utopia headbands to creak a little bit, but has anyone experienced creaking from the earcups themselves?

The left earcup of my 2020 Utopia is like this. A little bit of pressure when grabbing the left earcup and it creaks quite a bit. Doubt it’s a huge deal but I’m worried about something happening some day where the plastic cracks or something. Wonder if it’s just the same type of creaking I commonly get from other plastic products I have. Maybe it’s just from hollow plastic? I’d think it normal if it were the case for both earcups, but it’s not.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #20,284 of 20,796
I know it’s common for Utopia headbands to creak a little bit, but has anyone experienced creaking from the earcups themselves?

The left earcup of my 2020 Utopia is like this. A little bit of pressure when grabbing the left earcup and it creaks quite a bit. Doubt it’s a huge deal but I’m worried about something happening some day where the plastic cracks or something. Wonder if it’s just the same type of creaking I commonly get from other plastic products I have. Maybe it’s just from hollow plastic? I’d think it normal if it were the case for both earcups, but it’s not.
Damn, hope I’m not the only one…

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #20,287 of 20,796
Is it the swivel mechanism/base of headband or the cup itself? I’ve owned 2 different 2020 model utopias, both exhibited creaking when swiveling the cups. But no noise coming from the cups themselves.
It seems like it’s the cup itself. I think. If I place my hand around the bottom of the ear cup and press, it sounds like it’s creaking from that point, as if it’s hollow. I’ll have to try again and see if it is actually just coming from the headband swivel point, even though I’m not putting any pressure there. It sounds like it’s coming from the cup, or the point that I’m putting pressure on. I was even kind of looking at it at the same time I was pressing and it almost looked like it was indenting just a little but it was hard to tell for sure, could of just been the illusion of my thumb pressing down on it.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #20,288 of 20,796
It seems like it’s the cup itself. I think. If I place my hand around the bottom of the ear cup and press, it sounds like it’s creaking from that point, as if it’s hollow. I’ll have to try again and see if it is actually just coming from the headband swivel point, even though I’m not putting any pressure there. It sounds like it’s coming from the cup, or the point that I’m putting pressure on. I was even kind of looking at it at the same time I was pressing and it almost looked like it was indenting just a little but it was hard to tell for sure, could of just been the illusion of my thumb.
Took mine out to check, you can definitely hear the noise coming from up higher not the cup. Sounds like what you are experiencing is from something below that. Sorry I couldn’t help more.

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #20,290 of 20,796
Ok, I reviewed the OG Utopia with and without Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads in case anyone's interested :)

https://www.headphoneer.com/focal-utopia-review-featuring-dekoni-fenestrated-sheepskin-pads/

1000012249.jpg

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #20,291 of 20,796
Thank you. TLDR:
  • About Pads: Original Focal pads have a unique 50% fabric mesh inside, affecting sound significantly. The review notes a substantial impact on sound when swapping to Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads, with more bass and slightly toned-down treble.
  • Sound Changes with Dekoni Pads: The Dekoni pads bring out more bass and reduce treble, transforming the Utopia's sound to be warmer and lusher, albeit with a slightly narrower soundstage.
  • Comparative Listening Impressions: Detailed track-by-track impressions show how the Dekoni pads affect the sound, generally leading to a fuller, warmer sound with more bass presence and less treble brightness compared to the stock pads.

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #20,294 of 20,796
Thank you. TLDR:
  • About Pads: Original Focal pads have a unique 50% fabric mesh inside, affecting sound significantly. The review notes a substantial impact on sound when swapping to Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads, with more bass and slightly toned-down treble.
  • Sound Changes with Dekoni Pads: The Dekoni pads bring out more bass and reduce treble, transforming the Utopia's sound to be warmer and lusher, albeit with a slightly narrower soundstage.
  • Comparative Listening Impressions: Detailed track-by-track impressions show how the Dekoni pads affect the sound, generally leading to a fuller, warmer sound with more bass presence and less treble brightness compared to the stock pads.
TLDR:
  • Dekoni pads - fuller, warmer sound, more bass presence, less treble brightness compared to stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back