Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #20,252 of 20,796
Hi,

I have just bought the Utopia 2022 with a Naim Uniti HE and I am looking for a cable to replace the one supplied by Focal. Neither Focal nor my dealer have any suggestions...

If it helps, I have a system composed of Utopia Diablo, Octave V110SE & Atoll DAC200, all with Viard Audio cables.

I've contacted Moon Audio and they recommend the Silver Dragon, but I'm afraid it's too detailed. I'm not looking for anything more than a certain balance, especially as I live in France and can't listen to them.

Do you have any other recommendations?

Merci
KS

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #20,253 of 20,796
Hi,

I have just bought the Utopia 2022 with a Naim Uniti HE and I am looking for a cable to replace the one supplied by Focal. Neither Focal nor my dealer have any suggestions...

If it helps, I have a system composed of Utopia Diablo, Octave V110SE & Atoll DAC200, all with Viard Audio cables.

I've contacted Moon Audio and they recommend the Silver Dragon, but I'm afraid it's too detailed. I'm not looking for anything more than a certain balance, especially as I live in France and can't listen to them.

Do you have any other recommendations?

Merci
KS
Forza Noir Hybrid or Lavricables.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #20,256 of 20,796
I believe they do a 30 day back money guarantee so may be worth having the conversation.
It’s also a stunning cable in itself
IMG_4873.jpeg

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #20,259 of 20,796
Heavenly, out of curiosity, why are you moving to IEMs?
You will probably find this hard to believe but the sound experience I have from my new Astell & Kern x Odyssey IEM and the new Cayin N30LE Dap blows my Utopias away on all fronts to my ears… I never even considered it until I heard a friends and thought “wow”!!
I’ve paired the Utopias with a Burson Conductor, focal Arche, Hugo2 / 2Go and now Naim HE and I still find this on the go set up mesmerising on soundstage ,imaging, sub bass almost everything, so much it’s made me question keeping the Utopias….
So I sold the 4 pin XLR and changed to a cheaper silver Artisan Silver Dream 4.4 cable (also excellent pairing with the utopia, it pulls a bit of detail retrieval out of the new version) and now use this cable with the N30LE and Utopias also, it equals my Naim in my opinion, drives them like a dream even on low gain setting and the ability to be able to move it round the house is game changing for me…
This new cayin Dap with solid state and 2 tube settings (classic & modern) and class A A/B and different power abilities just blows anything away I’ve heard, I originally bought the Astell & Kern SP3000 and sold it within a month to fund this as did a couple of friends when they also heard it…
But my ears are my ears and everyone is different, but if you get the chance to demo utopias on this dap I would…
IMG_0006.png

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #20,260 of 20,796
You will probably find this hard to believe but the sound experience I have from my new Astell & Kern x Odyssey IEM and the new Cayin N30LE Dap blows my Utopias away on all fronts to my ears… I never even considered it until I heard a friends and thought “wow”!!
I’ve paired the Utopias with a Burson Conductor, focal Arche, Hugo2 / 2Go and now Naim HE and I still find this on the go set up mesmerising on soundstage ,imaging, sub bass almost everything, so much it’s made me question keeping the Utopias….
So I sold the 4 pin XLR and changed to a cheaper silver Artisan Silver Dream 4.4 cable (also excellent pairing with the utopia, it pulls a bit of detail retrieval out of the new version) and now use this cable with the N30LE and Utopias also, it equals my Naim in my opinion, drives them like a dream even on low gain setting and the ability to be able to move it round the house is game changing for me…
This new cayin Dap with solid stare and 2 tube settings (classic & modern) and class A A/B and different power abilities just blows anything away I’ve heard, I originally bought the Astell & Kern SP3000 and sold it within a month to fund this as did a couple of friends when they also heard it…IMG_0006.png
Wow! I would think the physics of a HP would be able to do more than an IEM, at least with sub bass. But I've never tried, and we are all different! I just got utopia to add the Susvara. Have you ever tried Susvara vs Utopia?

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #20,261 of 20,796
Wow! I would think the physics of a HP would be able to do more than an IEM, at least with sub bass. But I've never tried, and we are all different! I just got utopia to add the Susvara. Have you ever tried Susvara vs Utopia?
I would think the same but with the correct tips this set up is on fire for me…
To be honest I’ve had Diana V2 and Phi before but never tried Susvara. I’ve only heard incredibly positive things about it apart from the usual driving abilities, but you pair up to get the best so I suspect you have.
Don’t get me wrong, of all the over ear I’ve heard, Utopia was the best all round headphone I’ve ever listened to.

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #20,263 of 20,796
susvara is better but utopia easier to drive thus more versatile

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #20,264 of 20,796
I would think the physics of a HP would be able to do more than an IEM, at least with sub bass.
True, but then you hear EE Legend EVO and all your pre-conceived beliefs are thrown out the window. :wink: I've yet to hear any over ear headphone that comes close to the slam of Legend EVO. That dual subwoofer + bone-conduction driver configuration does things you do not see coming until you hear it.

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #20,265 of 20,796
susvara is better but utopia easier to drive thus more versatile
I have both and find they complement each other well. Though the susvaras suit my individual preferences better

having said that, was listening to some beatles albums the other night and the utopias were (easily) my preference as they have more punch/liveliness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back