Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 27, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #20,176 of 20,796
I just got a Lavricables Grand 8-core with Aeco XLR. I am using it with my Focal Arche and the cables made a huge difference — but truth be told, the Arche just doesn't have the same level of detail/forwardness that the Mojo 2 provides (with the stock 3.5mm cable).

Now I feel like I need an amp upgrade. I've been looking into the Chord Hugo TT 2, Hugo 2, something from Ferrum, or even a pre-owned DCS. What do you guys think? I prefer a more V-shaped sound with strong bass as well as great detail and soundstage/spaciousness.

Get the TT2! You won't be disappointed and it covers dac/amp and pre-amp duties.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #20,177 of 20,796
The Bartok and chord have rather different sound signatures. The bartok is technologically more advanced and the all in one. They are both excellent.

Underwhelmed with the Lina stack for the Price.

I have the Naim HE and it’s a perfectly fine pairing. It’s not as technical or detailed as the chord or DCS but it’s enjoyable. And convenient.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #20,178 of 20,796
I'd like to get a better DAC + Source now! My budget is around $4,500, since that may be enough to pick up a used/open-box TT2, but I want to make sure I get the best DAC+AMP combo for the U22.
Ferrum stack. Fits your budget and your space constraints.

Or, if you could stretch both just a bit, the Holo stack is hard to beat.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #20,179 of 20,796
Ferrum stack. Fits your budget and your space constraints.
I’ve seen it and it looks really nice. How does it compare to the other DAC/Amps here in terms of detail and soundstage? Those two things matter a lot to me.
if you could stretch both just a bit, the Holo stack is hard to beat.
What’s the exact model(s) name? I did some research on Holo yesterday but it seems so hard to find much info, let alone find one to buy.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #20,180 of 20,796
I’ve seen it and it looks really nice. How does it compare to the other DAC/Amps here in terms of detail and soundstage? Those two things matter a lot to me.
I haven't heard their DAC, but the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos is amazing. They demo it specifically with Utopia at CanJam. The Hypsos unit allows you to vary the voltage supplied to the amp which sort of "tunes" it to your liking and/or use case.

What’s the exact model(s)? I did some research on Holo yesterday but it seems so hard to find much info, let alone find one to buy.
https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/holoaudio-bliss-headphone-amplifier/
https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/spring-3-dac/

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #20,181 of 20,796
I haven't heard their DAC, but the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos is amazing. They demo it specifically with Utopia at CanJam. The Hypsos unit allows you to vary the voltage supplied to the amp which sort of "tunes" it to your liking and/or use case.

https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/holoaudio-bliss-headphone-amplifier/
https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/spring-3-dac/
The Ferrum Oor + HYPSOS + WANDLA (DAC) looks really cool, like a baby dCS Lina at 1/6th of the price. I wish I could audition it somewhere.

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #20,182 of 20,796
The Ferrum Oor + HYPSOS + WANDLA (DAC) looks really cool, like a baby dCS Lina at 1/6th of the price. I wish I could audition it somewhere.
headphones.com sells them with their 365 day return policy. Otherwise, a CanJam is your best bet.

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #20,184 of 20,796
I’ve never been to a CanJam but I may attend the NYC one. Do people bring their own headphones/sources to CanJam? I want to A/B test a few sources and I’m not sure what’s kosher.
Yes, you can bring your own headphones, iems, whatever. There's an official thread full of info on the main page.

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #20,185 of 20,796
I second CanJam or Axpona. Ferrum is a bit overpriced at MSRP. If you are returning 2 items to headphones.com (in this case 3), the restocking fee is 35% IIRC.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #20,186 of 20,796
You are not going to like hearing this, you need to put skin in the game, and find a used Oor/Hypsos stack. Many can be found for around $2k, definitely do not buy it new. Auditioning at a show is not ideal, it is loud, you likely won’t be able to select your own music, and you will get the stink eye if spend too long auditioning.

The Utopia and Ferrum stack is a solid, combo. You can use your Mojo2 as the DAC too. I personally owned the TT2/HMS and both Utopia versions would cause fatigue in a relatively short period of time with and without the M-Scaler. I also prefer my Utopia off a tube amp, so take that as you may. At this level, you are going to need to try them in the comfort of your own home, or else you likely will be stuck in analysis paralysis for months. At that point you may go with what your gut is telling you, the TT2. By the way, the Chord DACs are inherently single ended, so wanting a balanced output won’t make much of a difference especially with the Utopia as the TT2 is quite powerful out of the SE headphone jack.

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #20,187 of 20,796
You are not going to like hearing this, you need to put skin in the game, and find a used Oor/Hypsos stack. Many can be found for around $2k, definitely do not buy it new. Auditioning at a show is not ideal, it is loud, you likely won’t be able to select your own music, and you will get the stink eye if spend too long auditioning.

The Utopia and Ferrum stack is a solid, combo. You can use your Mojo2 as the DAC too. I personally owned the TT2/HMS and both Utopia versions would cause fatigue in a relatively short period of time with and without the M-Scaler. I also prefer my Utopia off a tube amp, so take that as you may. At this level, you are going to need to try them in the comfort of your own home, or else you likely will be stuck in analysis paralysis for months. At that point you may go with what your gut is telling you, the TT2. By the way, the Chord DACs are inherently single ended, so wanting a balanced output won’t make much of a difference especially with the Utopia as the TT2 is quite powerful out of the SE headphone jack.
All of this. Spot on.

I’m running HMS/TT2 into a Linear Tube Audio MZ3 for my Utopia and I’m content. The quest for “better” has ceased for 6 months now. I think that’s a record for me.

One other point is that this gear sounds a great deal better from an Innuos Zen MK3 then it does from a MacBook Air.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #20,188 of 20,796

Like @AussieMick, I agree with this too. After about 6 months of wavering, I finally added a non-ZMF totl contender to my stable of headphones yesterday when I picked up a Utopia ‘22. My local dealer offered me 20% off, and I preferred the peace of mind of buying new rather than buying through the classifieds here. I haven’t listened to the Utopia ‘22 on my Schiit LIM/Woo WA5 LE stack, yet, but I first heard the Utopia (albeit an o.g. Utopia) on a chain that had the WA5 as the amp, and I was blown away. Thus far, I’ve only listened to my new Utopia on my Oor/hypsos stack with the mojo2 as my dac, so the exact stack @kkrazik2008 recommended, and I can confirm that it is indeed terrific.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #20,189 of 20,796
I second CanJam or Axpona. Ferrum is a bit overpriced at MSRP. If you are returning 2 items to headphones.com (in this case 3), the restocking fee is 35% IIRC.
Although I agree with others that there is not a substitute for spending time at home with an amp, I would agree that it is more than worth it to listen at a show if you are able. After owning the utopia for a while and becoming familiar with it, I heard the ferrums at canjam Chicago (RIP). Was probably quieter environment than others are but I got a great feel for what the oor/hypsos sounded like and did for utopia. Beats restocking/selling and if you can be patient enough to buy until after you may find another contender to listen to at the same show. There’s something to be said for hearing multiple products you don’t own on the same day instead of relying on memory for comparisons.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #20,190 of 20,796
I heard the ferrums at canjam Chicago (RIP). Was probably quieter environment than others are but I got a great feel for what the oor/hypsos sounded like and did for utopia.
What did you think of the Ferrum stack with Utopia? I'm super close to buying them just to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back