Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 4, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #20,146 of 20,602
I have the Ferrum Erco with my Utopia 22 and wondering what gain setting I should use?

The 0 allows me to turn the volume up to about 1/2 way before it's too loud;
The -1 allows me to turn the knob up to 3/4 way;
The +1 allows me to just 1/3 way.

BTW - got my 4.4mm/XLR adapter and now I'm on the balanced cable - wow, what a difference over the 6.3mm connection - warmer, bass has way more punch...

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #20,147 of 20,602
I just received my new Focal Utopia 2022 and a Ferrum Erco that has a 4.4mm balanced and 6.5mm unbalanced headphone inputs on the front.

The Utopia comes with a 3.5mm (unbalanced?) and XLR (balanced) cable.

Because the Erco only has L/R XLR outputs (on the back), I can't use the stock XLR cable.

Can I just get a 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for the stock 3.5mm cable and use the 4.4mm balanced output on the Erco? Or do I need a whole new balanced 4.4mm headphone cable for the Utopia?
Do you need a XLR to 4.4? This is what I bough: https://bloomaudio.com/products/ddhifi-xlr44c-xlr-pentaconn-adapter

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #20,148 of 20,602
Jan 9, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #20,149 of 20,602
I have a question for new (not used) purchasers of the Focal Utopia 2022 and the shipping box it arrived in.
Is this photo of the sealed shipping box a way of verifying that this is the new 2022 version, not the pre 2022 version.?
I have heard of rare instances of purchasers getting the pre 2022 version, but I'm not sure if they received it in this 2022 labeled shipping box.
I won't ask the dealer to open the sealed box.

Attachments

• focal 2022.jpg
    focal 2022.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 9, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #20,150 of 20,602
I have a question for new (not used) purchasers of the Focal Utopia 2022 and the shipping box it arrived in.
Is this photo of the sealed shipping box a way of verifying that this is the new 2022 version, not the pre 2022 version.?
I have heard of rare instances of purchasers getting the pre 2022 version, but I'm not sure if they received it in this 2022 labeled shipping box.
Received mine a week ago in a box just like that and yes it was a new 2022 version.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #20,151 of 20,602
That’s what mine looks like.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #20,152 of 20,602
I was fortunate enough to be one of the few who got a new utopia 22 via the adorama deal last year. While I enjoy them immensely, I was looking for a step up from the Clear OG, not a headphone warmer than all my ZMFs.

My question to those of you owning both the OG utopia and the Neutopia: is there anything about the sonic characteristics of the original that cannot be replicated by equalizing the 2022 edition or swapping out the stock cable for a silver-plated one? I remain intrigued by the legend of the original, but finite toy funds and the stories of driver failure have thus far dissuaded me from picking up the original as well…

Firstly, the stock cable does not really do the Utopia justice. I'm not here to start a cable debate. But Utopia does benefit from a cable upgrade. You don't need to spend a lot of money and I'm partial to the Norne Vykari that I have cabled it with. The Cardas Clear Beyond also pairs very well if you are looking for a more neutral, detailed sound whereas the Vykari is more forward. I'm yet to try the Silvergarde S5 which Trevor reassures me isn't "bright" as one might associate with silver.

Digressions aside ; I initially didn't think so. - but the 2022 is sonically better balanced than the OG. I have still kept both, having invested in the Danceable for the OG and been very happy with it. But I pick up the 2022 Utopia 99% of the time.

You could always ask Mitch Barnett if he could create a convolution filter to 'EQ' the Utopia 2022 to your liking.

I very much enjoy the Utopia 2022. It is my favourite headphone. And compares very well with my IEM's. Immensely comfortable and sonically excellent. Works well with many genres.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #20,153 of 20,602
I’ve just received the Lavricable Grand today. 8 core pure silver. Looking forward to testing when I get home.

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #20,154 of 20,602
I’ve just received the Lavricable Grand today. 8 core pure silver. Looking forward to testing when I get home.
That will be very interesting to hear. I use the Forza cable and I would like to try la Grand cable. Especially regarding the high's.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #20,155 of 20,602
Pure silver is the way to go in all cases generally assuming you have a rig that‘s relatively high end. I am a bit worried about your electronics. Silver may expose things you don’t want to hear. Let us know.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #20,156 of 20,602
I just got a Lavricables Grand 8-core with Aeco XLR. I am using it with my Focal Arche and the cables made a huge difference — but truth be told, the Arche just doesn't have the same level of detail/forwardness that the Mojo 2 provides (with the stock 3.5mm cable).

Now I feel like I need an amp upgrade. I've been looking into the Chord Hugo TT 2, Hugo 2, something from Ferrum, or even a pre-owned DCS. What do you guys think? I prefer a more V-shaped sound with strong bass as well as great detail and soundstage/spaciousness.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #20,159 of 20,602
Just pick a used headamp gsx mini and you should be all set until you are ready to get a better dac and source. Mojo 2 + poly is not very good IMO (I would replace poly before mojo 2)

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #20,160 of 20,602
Just pick a used headamp gsx mini and you should be all set until you are ready to get a better dac and source.
I'd like to get a better DAC + Source now! My budget is around $4,500, since that may be enough to pick up a used/open-box TT2, but I want to make sure I get the best DAC+AMP combo for the U22.

Mojo 2 + poly is not very good IMO (I would replace poly before mojo 2)
FWIW I rarely use the Poly. I connect USB → MacBook Pro. Currently using the Focal Arche and it sounds very pleasing but I know it's not utilizing the Utopias for the detail retrieval that's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back