Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 3, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #20,131 of 20,602
I just received my new Focal Utopia 2022 and a Ferrum Erco that has a 4.4mm balanced and 6.5mm unbalanced headphone inputs on the front.

The Utopia comes with a 3.5mm (unbalanced?) and XLR (balanced) cable.

Because the Erco only has L/R XLR outputs (on the back), I can't use the stock XLR cable.

Can I just get a 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for the stock 3.5mm cable and use the 4.4mm balanced output on the Erco? Or do I need a whole new balanced 4.4mm headphone cable for the Utopia?
You should be able to buy XLR(female) to 4.4 mm Adapter or pigtail cable to enjoy Balanced Connection.....
Don't need to buy separate cable with 4.4mm cable.

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #20,132 of 20,602
I just received my new Focal Utopia 2022 and a Ferrum Erco that has a 4.4mm balanced and 6.5mm unbalanced headphone inputs on the front.

The Utopia comes with a 3.5mm (unbalanced?) and XLR (balanced) cable.

Because the Erco only has L/R XLR outputs (on the back), I can't use the stock XLR cable.

Can I just get a 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for the stock 3.5mm cable and use the 4.4mm balanced output on the Erco? Or do I need a whole new balanced 4.4mm headphone cable for the Utopia?
Get XLR to 4.4mm adapter.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #20,133 of 20,602
You could but there’s a 6.5mm adapter that should have come with the 3.5mm short csble?

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #20,135 of 20,602
Yes.

I would suggest 4 pin XLR to 4.4mm also in that case.

Congratulations on the new arrival!

Depending on how much you spend on the adapter v cost of a new cable.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #20,136 of 20,602
But then I'd be on the 6.5mm unbalanced connection on the Erco right?

And no, there was no 6.5mm adapter in the box.

That's strange then. All the SE Cables I've ever gotten with Focal heaphones have a screw on 3.5mm to 6.35mm adaper.

I can vouch for XLR to 4.4 adapters. Be cautious with the cheap amazon ones. My XLR to 4.4 female adapter is excellent. My XLR to 4.4 male adapter is crap. The 4.4 connector outer sheath is poorly fastened.

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #20,137 of 20,602
That's strange then. All the SE Cables I've ever gotten with Focal heaphones have a screw on 3.5mm to 6.35mm adaper.

I can vouch for XLR to 4.4 adapters. Be cautious with the cheap amazon ones. My XLR to 4.4 female adapter is excellent. My XLR to 4.4 male adapter is crap. The 4.4 connector outer sheath is poorly fastene
Got it.
Well, here's the one I was going to order off amazon (Canada): https://www.amazon.ca/KK-Cable-Head...mzn1.fos.b06bdbbe-20fd-4ebc-88cf-fa04f1ca0da8

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #20,138 of 20,602
Also, as a followup question: if I use this "cheaper" 4.4mm/XLR adapter with a higher end headphone cable I may buy in the future, doesn't that negate any benefits that the higher end cable would provide to the sound since the adapter would be connected on the end?

Reason I ask is I don't see many headphone cables with options that go Lemo to 4.4mm - they are all XLR or 3.5mm ends which means it they would always require an adapter.

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #20,139 of 20,602
It's such a short adapter. I can't see how spending big money is going to give better fidelity. As long as you have good quality connections and good shielded wire, the adapter should be transparent.

Plenty of custom cables come terminated in 4.4. You may have to email the company about terminating to 4.4. Depending on how much you want to spend, I'm sure your wishes will be accommodated. At the minimum, they'll make you an XLR adapter to 4.4mm.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #20,140 of 20,602
Also, as a followup question: if I use this "cheaper" 4.4mm/XLR adapter with a higher end headphone cable I may buy in the future, doesn't that negate any benefits that the higher end cable would provide to the sound since the adapter would be connected on the end?

Reason I ask is I don't see many headphone cables with options that go Lemo to 4.4mm - they are all XLR or 3.5mm ends which means it they would always require an adapter.
If you’re worried about that I would purchase adapter from Double Helix. They make some of the best. I use them for my headphones also. When you spend big money on cables I want to use for more than one headphone. They’re more expensive but you won’t beat the quality. Plus no loss in sound quality.

Attachments

• IMG_9621.png
    IMG_9621.png
    673.3 KB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #20,141 of 20,602
If you’re worried about that I would purchase adapter from Double Helix. They make some of the best. I use them for my headphones also. When you spend big money on cables I want to use for more than one headphone. They’re more expensive but you won’t beat the quality. Plus no loss in sound quality.
It's more that it just makes sense that assuming the expensive cable's internals are what is giving it the improved/changed acoustics - so wouldn't the last 10% of the wire now being a much cheaper adapter mean that your'e essentially negating the benefits of said expensive cable?

Not looking to start anything here as I know this topic can be sensitive - I'm legitimately new (again) to this hobby and wondering it all out loud...

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #20,142 of 20,602
It's more that it just makes sense that assuming the expensive cable's internals are what is giving it the improved/changed acoustics - so wouldn't the last 10% of the wire now being a much cheaper adapter mean that your'e essentially negating the benefits of said expensive cable?

Not looking to start anything here as I know this topic can be sensitive - I'm legitimately new (again) to this hobby and wondering it all out loud...
That’s why I suggested the Double Helix adapters. You pay more and takes longer to get but high quality materials. I didn’t suggest them at first because I didn’t know what your limits were.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #20,143 of 20,602
I got a pair of double helix cables LEMO to 3.5mm female and so i can use my sony Z1R 4.4mm silber cable on my utopias

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #20,145 of 20,602
I was fortunate enough to be one of the few who got a new utopia 22 via the adorama deal last year. While I enjoy them immensely, I was looking for a step up from the Clear OG, not a headphone warmer than all my ZMFs.

My question to those of you owning both the OG utopia and the Neutopia: is there anything about the sonic characteristics of the original that cannot be replicated by equalizing the 2022 edition or swapping out the stock cable for a silver-plated one? I remain intrigued by the legend of the original, but finite toy funds and the stories of driver failure have thus far dissuaded me from picking up the original as well…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back