Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 19, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #20,116 of 20,602
Would you guys avoid pre-2020 Utopia? I’ve seen some for sale with no visible goo issues. Is it pricey to replace a failed driver? Trying to decide between a few Utopia that I see for sale.
FWIW, I bought my pre-2020 Utopia a couple of years ago on ebay and have had zero issues with it. I have no doubt that the reports of driver failures and high cost of repairs are true, but I wouldn't necessarily ASSUME that you'll get that. The amount you'll save by buying a second-hand used pre-2020 model totally justifies the slight risk, IMO.

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #20,117 of 20,602
There's only one thing that sucks about owning the Utopia...

...the onset of anxiety when it comes to owning something so fragile and expensive, lol! Seriously, I keep worrying I'm going to break something every time I touch them. I do sort of wish they didn't use this glossy black material/color for the cups. Total fingerprint magnet.

Aside from that though I'm still addicted to these things, even 6 weeks later. I'd use them all day, every day, if I could. For what I paid for my set, totally worth it. Everything I've played through them so far has been taken to another level.

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #20,118 of 20,602

...the onset of anxiety when it comes to owning something so fragile and expensive, lol! Seriously, I keep worrying I'm going to break something every time I touch them. I do sort of wish they didn't use this glossy black material/color for the cups. Total fingerprint magnet.

Aside from that though I'm still addicted to these things, even 6 weeks later. I'd use them all day, every day, if I could. For what I paid for my set, totally worth it. Everything I've played through them so far has been taken to another level.

Hahaha, they are not as bad as some other pieces of gear. Small dust cloth or where white gloves during handling. Could be worse things to deal with.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #20,119 of 20,602
Hahaha, they are not as bad as some other pieces of gear. Small dust cloth or where white gloves during handling. Could be worse things to deal with.
Is the Utopia that fragile? I baby my Susvara but I've never felt the need with the Utopia, it's properly built and has well protected drivers in my estimation

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #20,120 of 20,602
Is the Utopia that fragile? I baby my Susvara but I've never felt the need with the Utopia, it's properly built and has well protected drivers in my estimation
I don’t think it’s that fragile, per se, but with any nice product that costs this much I want to be sure I’m as careful as possible, y’know? It is a very well built headphone.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #20,121 of 20,602
No they are not fragile, though that could be a subjective thing, there are other headphones far more fragile. Especially planar drivers with magnets which could be damaged easily. Build quality is strong, and imagine if someone is not taking basic care of a pricey item then sure it can break just like anything will break if one is careless.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #20,122 of 20,602
In general dynamic drivers are far more robust than TOTL nanometer thin planar drivers. Utopia OG was the exception with regard to durability.

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #20,123 of 20,602

...the onset of anxiety when it comes to owning something so fragile and expensive, lol!
You spent the money on it, ENJOY IT. That's what it was made for. I understand the urge to be cautious with it, but if you don't use it for all it's worth you wasted your money. Use it, it can take it. :wink:

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #20,124 of 20,602
Utopia OG was the exception with regard to durability.
7+ years of ownership here and no issues (except the sticky goo on the inside of the OG pads).
From my point of view the durability issues are overblown :dt880smile: - but I don't drop them, hook them up to speaker amps, subject them to turn on transients or otherwise abuse them.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #20,127 of 20,602
Anyone fly often with the OG Utopia? I am traveling for awhile and was going to bring my Utopia. I've heard some stories about air pressure on planes breaking the drivers..
I’m currently traveling with my U22/Chord Hugo 2/Cayin C9 setup. I flew and now cruising. Put headphones in case and in carry-on and all is good.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #20,130 of 20,602
I just received my new Focal Utopia 2022 and a Ferrum Erco that has a 4.4mm balanced and 6.5mm unbalanced headphone inputs on the front.

The Utopia comes with a 3.5mm (unbalanced?) and XLR (balanced) cable.

Because the Erco only has L/R XLR outputs (on the back), I can't use the stock XLR cable.

Can I just get a 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for the stock 3.5mm cable and use the 4.4mm balanced output on the Erco? Or do I need a whole new balanced 4.4mm headphone cable for the Utopia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back