Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 12, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #20,071 of 20,614
which seems a fairly non-controversial goa
Experience tells me that this might actually be a goal which isn’t a pragmatic one. How can the average person even know what that sound in the studio was? I don’t think the vast majority of us are hanging out in the final mastering session of every album we own. As a result we can’t possibly know what the sound was, so how can it be our goal? Surely we have to aim for something?
It’s another oversimplification that is founded on a false premise. Hifi seems full of them.

Personally, I much prefer the goal of assembling a system that pleases me. That will naturally be informed by all of my experiences of music both live and recorded, and also experiences with different equipment.

Nov 12, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #20,073 of 20,614
If our fundamental intention with high-fidelity music reproduction is to hear as close as possible to what the production team in the studio heard when they played back the mix and said, “That’s the one” – which seems a fairly non-controversial goal – then we have to address this imbalance. How do we make listening on headphones sound like monitoring on loudspeakers?”
I gotta say it, or post it. This quote 👆🏼is a flawed assumption, and a rather oversimplification as there is no right or wrong way to enjoy your music. Some enjoy re-living a live experience, some enjoy it in their car, some in their bathroom, some on a crap pair of speakers or headphones. Not for any one company to dictate a goal as vast as how one should consume what they enjoy.

These recent posts are quite unfortunate as they take away from the topic of the Utopia, and have an air of self-righteousness on how we should be enjoying the gear more than the music. Why can’t be both and also be different for each of us?

Dec 4, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #20,074 of 20,614
Unfortunate choice of words by dCS perhaps. Nonetheless, if one changes headphone cables, the Focal Utopia may go from having a microfocus, i.e. one can focus on the vocals, to having a macrofocus, i.e. one zooms out and focuses on the entire presentation, and that could be more revealing of how the vocals are mixed with the rest of the instruments in a recording. In some cases, the vocals may move too far back on the soundstage. dCS basically claims that their DAC/Expanse technology restores a macro- and microfocus at the same time.

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #20,076 of 20,614
Finally got my. DHC adapters and like my lavri grand cable on them, zero weighr compared to heavy stock cable

image.jpg

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #20,077 of 20,614
Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #20,078 of 20,614
The pads on my original launch Utopia's are in dire need of replacement. What's the general consensus on pad replacements, best to source a pair of original ones or are there any decent third party options that people like?

Dec 12, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #20,079 of 20,614
The pads on my original launch Utopia's are in dire need of replacement. What's the general consensus on pad replacements, best to source a pair of original ones or are there any decent third party options that people like?

Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin is a significant upgrade.

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #20,080 of 20,614
Tried some pads in the past

- Dekoni Elite Sheepskin = Honky tunnel sound and super bassy.

- Fenestrated Sheepskin aliexpress copy = Not as atrocious as above but not great either, slightly honky.

- Elex/Clear pads = more bass, thicker sound, less treble/soundstage, bit worse imaging, more comfortable and less hot, these pads work well with rock/metal.

- OG pads = Biggest and best soundstage, clarity and imaging, least quantity of bass.

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #20,081 of 20,614

I always prefer OG pads on Focal headphones, it is quite expensive though..

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #20,082 of 20,614
I always prefer OG pads on Focal headphones, it is quite expensive though..
They are expensive, but Utopia is so spot-on balanced that any change to the presentation throws the whole thing into chaos. You THINK you want more bass until you hear what it actually sounds like with more bass and then you're like "nope, they had it right to begin with."

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #20,083 of 20,614
They are expensive, but Utopia is so spot-on balanced that any change to the presentation throws the whole thing into chaos. You THINK you want more bass until you hear what it actually sounds like with more bass and then you're like "nope, they had it right to begin with."

Exactly, i always feels something's off when i use other than OG pads

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #20,084 of 20,614
Ahh, I shoulda grabbed some OG pads when they were readily available in Canada. Looks like I will have to source some from the U.S.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #20,085 of 20,614
Ahh, I shoulda grabbed some OG pads when they were readily available in Canada. Looks like I will have to source some from the U.S.
headphones.com has them in stock - I think they are based in Canada? Though they might ship from the US? Not really sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back