Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 11, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #19,940 of 20,602
Error post

Oct 12, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #19,941 of 20,602
I recently picked up a new Utopia 2022, and after a brief demo on my GS-X Mini, wanted to formally demo it across a few of my amps to find the best synergy, including the revered Nitsch DSHA-3FN, Headamp GS-X Mini and my DIY build of L0rdGwyn's Aegis (an output transformer coupled tube amp).

GS-X Mini: As we all know, Utopia is very sensitive; even with low gain on this amp, it is not a completely black background, particularly as volume increases (no music playing). Everything sounds very tight, incisive, detailed. Very neutral and balanced presentation, soundstage is respectably wide (although the Utopia does not have the largest or widest SS in the first place). Perhaps a little too analytical in presentation, although I do typically enjoy the neutral and slightly analytical side, so no issues for me.

DSHA-3FN: Black background across the entire volume range. Notably more warmth than the GS-X Mini, overall smoother presentation, although less incisive than the Mini, perhaps less detail. Bass has more bloom and slightly more impact, although still tight and well-controlled. Mids are smooth, treble is seemingly slightly toned-down. Soundstage seems slightly more intimate than the Mini.

DIY Aegis (on Lo-Z): The Utopia's sensitivity is coming into play here again, as the background is not completely black, and noise becomes noticeable as volume increases (no music playing). The Aegis has the most mid-forward presentation of the group; bass is more present than the Mini, but less tight/controlled than the DSHA-3FN. The Aegis shines with having both the best soundstage presentation, as well as most notable instrument separation and pinpoint imaging. Treble seems smoother on the DSHA-3FN than the Aegis, which is surprising considering the SS vs. Tube dynamic at play here.

By category, my feeling is that the most adept performers were:

Handling Utopia's High Sensitivity: DSHA-3FN
Bass/Low-End: DSHA-3FN
Mids/Timbre: Aegis
Treble/"Air": I'm undecided on this one
Detail Retrieval: GS-X Mini
Soundstage & Imaging: Aegis

Overall, this was a close battle (as it usually is when A/Bing amps, from my experience), as all 3 amps are quite up-to-the-task when it comes to handling the Utopia 2022. The DSHA-3FN and Aegis were particularly close to taking the title for my preferences here; if I truly had to pick one, I'd have to say the DSHA-3FN might be the best pairing here with the Nutopia.

20231008_185804.jpg

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #19,942 of 20,602
I recently picked up a new Utopia 2022, and after a brief demo on my GS-X Mini, wanted to formally demo it across a few of my amps to find the best synergy, including the revered Nitsch DSHA-3FN, Headamp GS-X Mini and my DIY build of L0rdGwyn's Aegis (an output transformer coupled tube amp).
Thanks for sharing. What is your dac preference for the 3 amps?

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #19,943 of 20,602
Thanks for the input guys, I am now a proud owner of the Utopias :)
Welcome. Your wallet will be lighter but your ears will be happier.

Oct 13, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #19,944 of 20,602
Thanks for sharing. What is your dac preference for the 3 amps?

Great question, and something I should have noted in my post originally!

I've swapped DACs around quite a bit, and settled on the following current configuration:

Soekris 2541 ➡️ DSHA-3FN and BHSE
Mytek Liberty II ➡️ Aegis and GS-X Mini

The Liberty II is likely a more analytical approach and incisive sound, which adds balance to the Aegis and pushes the GS-X as my most neutral option. I typically prefer the R2R and NOS approaches to DACs and the Soekris is a great value there, very natural presentation without being overly warm.

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #19,945 of 20,602
The Liberty II is likely a more analytical approach and incisive sound, which adds balance to the Aegis and pushes the GS-X as my most neutral option. I typically prefer the R2R and NOS approaches to DACs and the Soekris is a great value there, very natural presentation without being overly warm.
Soekris makes great dacs and is by far my favorite in that price range. A hidden gem of sorts given it's relative obscurity when discussing sub 2k dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back