Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 26, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #19,727 of 20,582
Swapping pads on the Focal models is so easy. It makes no sense to not take them out because you are afraid of damaging them. You should be more afraid of the goop, which can kill your driver.
So better check them often and pay 250 if something goes wrong (which I doubt), than lose 4k...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #19,729 of 20,582
Made a ticket about gooped pads to Focal Naim America, they shipped replacement pads.
Last time went trough dealer but he wasn't to keen about replacing pads under warranty and saw it as normal wear and tear but did it anyways.

Here are new pads in box next to my pile of goop leaking pads

Would have preferred 2022 model labeled pads because they might be more goop secure.
IMG_20230823_171333.jpg

Aug 26, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #19,730 of 20,582
Never checked the pads of my Utopia. Just curious how does this goop arise and how can it damage the driver?
The goop just seeps out of the pads overtime, when left unchecked, it can get onto the driver according to old accounts

Whether the goop is caused by humidity or usage, I don't know.

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #19,731 of 20,582
i've done it a few times to check for the dreaded 'goop' without issue but the anxiety is understandable
Swapping pads on the Focal models is so easy. It makes no sense to not take them out because you are afraid of damaging them. You should be more afraid of the goop, which can kill your driver.
So better check them often and pay 250 if something goes wrong (which I doubt), than lose 4k...
And to @ARCXENOS

All good Checked the pads and (visible) goop free zone.

i pulled them off outwards and upwards from about the 11 or 1 clock spots on the pad. Made that easy.

Thanks for your guidance

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #19,735 of 20,582
Has anyone recently had to deal with OldTopia (2020 or earlier) dead driver issue?
If so - is it confirmed they are just swapping drivers and sending back your old model?

My left driver is dead. Same exact story as people have experienced countless times... used it on Friday, picked up this morning, no sound in left channel. Bought in 2020. Very low volume listener, under 65db. No reason for it to break other than I guess crap Focal QC / build. I hate to lose the original model's sound but maybe it would be best if they replace me with a NuTopia version.

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #19,736 of 20,582
Has anyone recently had to deal with OldTopia (2020 or earlier) dead driver issue?
If so - is it confirmed they are just swapping drivers and sending back your old model?

My left driver is dead. Same exact story as people have experienced countless times... used it on Friday, picked up this morning, no sound in left channel. Bought in 2020. Very low volume listener, under 65db. No reason for it to break other than I guess crap Focal QC / build. I hate to lose the original model's sound but maybe it would be best if they replace me with a NuTopia version.
Have you tried testing with a different cable? I ask because I initially thought my driver had failed until I swapped and inspected the cable. I purchased a spare 2016-style 6.35mm cable from Focal and eventually found the solder joints were inadequate, causing the cable to break/fail in the LEMO connector.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #19,737 of 20,582
Have you tried testing with a different cable? I ask because I initially thought my driver had failed until I swapped and inspected the cable. I purchased a spare 2016-style 6.35mm cable from Focal and eventually found the solder joints were inadequate, causing the cable to break/fail in the LEMO connector.

Tried 3 different cables, two amps, and direct from my phone. Left side dead on all.

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #19,738 of 20,582
Tried 3 different cables, two amps, and direct from my phone. Left side dead on all.
Thats unfortunate. If you’re in North America, my experience with Focal-Naim America for warranty support has been positive. They also recently made other changes to their warranty and repair process and it’s the best I’ve had with any audio brands so far. Hopefully, you have the same fast turnaround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back