Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 19, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #19,232 of 20,602
Started doing some critical listening of the Utopia 2022 on the DNS Stratus. More revealing (forward?) and faster than the Meze Empy, but the Empy is way more comfy for longer listening both sonically & physically. I’ve only got about 40 hours on the Utopia so I know it will get better. Not sure yet that it’s a “better” headphone than the Empy in all regards, but it’s a different, quite enjoyable flavor of headphone.

I also put the Audio Sensibility silver cable on the Utopia, definitely more open/ brighter than stock, but this is an impression based on zero burn in time on the new cable.

The ideal headphone for me would have the excellent comfort and ease of listening of the Empy, with the increased speed and tighter bottom end of the Utopia. But there is no ideal headphone……right?

I think either ZMF Caldera or Meze Elite may suit you. I can enjoy Utopia 2022 very well, but I'm just "done" with dynamic driver for now, and prefer planar in general.

If there is a thing that I want to correct from utopia 2022 is at the bass section, to become tighter and has more space between Low Freq and Midrange Freq. The High and Midrange Freq already perfect for dynamic driver.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #19,233 of 20,602
I think either ZMF Caldera or Meze Elite may suit you. I can enjoy Utopia 2022 very well, but I'm just "done" with dynamic driver for now, and prefer planar in general.

If there is a thing that I want to correct from utopia 2022 is at the bass section, to become tighter and has more space between Low Freq and Midrange Freq. The High and Midrange Freq already perfect for dynamic driver.
sounds like you should try the og utopia, tighter, punchier, better defined bass, nice separation of bass, mid bass, mids, highs with the upper end sparkle. my only complaint, wish they had more soundstage depth.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #19,234 of 20,602
sounds like you should try the og utopia, tighter, punchier, better defined bass, nice separation of mid bass, mids, highs with the upper end sparkle.

Had it for 6 months then sold it. Too intense in upper mid-treble area for me.

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #19,235 of 20,602
sounds like you should try the og utopia, tighter, punchier, better defined bass, nice separation of bass, mid bass, mids, highs with the upper end sparkle. my only complaint, wish they had more soundstage depth.
With respect to the OG's soundstage, I often read that its the width rather than its depth that's behind compared to other TOTL cans. At least that's what I experienced a few years ago when I first auditioned the Utopia and after I purchased a 2020 model.

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #19,236 of 20,602
With respect to the OG's soundstage, I often read that its the width rather than its depth that's behind compared to other TOTL cans. At least that's what I experienced a few years ago when I first auditioned the Utopia and after I purchased a 2020 model.
As I don’t listen to classical music much, the more intimate soundstage of the OG Utopia works splendidly with singer/songwriter, acoustic, jazz etc. Small, sweaty club atmosphere. Even the closed back DCA Stealth seems to have a wider soundstage depending on the song/mix.

Mar 19, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #19,237 of 20,602
for me the sound stage is not an issue or even something i really look for in a headphone. i use my 2 channel when a great stage is desired.

frankly i have never heard any headphone that holds a candle to a great two channel setup in that regard. so what i am looking for in a headphone is detail, neutralness, speed, separation, articulate and balanced frequency range and the og utopia is my go to against that set of criteria.

there are certainly many headphone with better staging than the utopia, but all headphone are so far from what i get from my two channel the choice of poor vs not very good offered by alternative headphone simply does not interest me as all are subpar so not worth sacrificing headphone strengths for a paltry improvement of their weakness.

i just accept staging is not what headphones do best. for me, both depth and width are lacking with the og and 2022 utopia. having compared the og and 2022 honestly the only difference i hear is the 2022 has boosted the bass a tad and backed off the highs a bit most likely to appeal to those who were critical of those aspects in the og pair.

i love the og sound so obviously 2022 is not for me and even if it was, would not pay a premium just to boost bass and subdue the top end, eq would give better control dialing the utopia sound in to your particular preference.

a great tube amp w the og utopia is bliss imho, no eq required beyond tube rolling. i have been able to improve staging to a minor degree w my headphone amp but again, if i want great staging a headphone is not where i personally will look for it.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #19,238 of 20,602
for me the sound stage is not an issue or even something i really look for in a headphone. i use my 2 channel when a great stage is desired.

frankly i have never heard any headphone that holds a candle to a great two channel setup in that regard. so what i am looking for in a headphone is detail, neutralness, speed, separation, articulate and balanced frequency range and the og utopia is my go to against that set of criteria.

there are certainly many headphone with better staging than the utopia, but all headphone are so far from what i get from my two channel the choice of poor vs not very good offered by alternative headphone simply does not interest me as all are subpar so not worth sacrificing headphone strengths for a paltry improvement of their weakness.

i just accept staging is not what headphones do best. for me, both depth and width are lacking with the og and 2022 utopia. having compared the og and 2022 honestly the only difference i hear is the 2022 has boosted the bass a tad and backed off the highs a bit most likely to appeal to those who were critical of those aspects in the og pair.

i love the og sound so obviously 2022 is not for me and even if it was, would not pay a premium just to boost bass and subdue the top end, eq would give better control dialing the utopia sound in to your particular preference.

a great tube amp w the og utopia is bliss imho, no eq required beyond tube rolling. i have been able to improve staging to a minor degree w my headphone amp but again, if i want great staging a headphone is not where i personally will look for it.
Well said, staging is not high on my criteria list for any headphone. They’ll never be able to reproduce what you get from a good two channel speaker setup. So I take them for what they are and look for other sound characteristics like you. The OG Utopia’s still remains my favorite dynamic driver. I wouldn’t change a thing about its sound.

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #19,239 of 20,602
I have a 2020 Utopia & Ifi Pro iCAN Signature, Chord Mojo2 with a 125 hz bass shelf of +3 db.

I’m unsure if the Ifi is a good match or not with the Utopia.

Thinking really hard about a switch to the GSX-Mini to get that little bit of extra detail and punch that others have found with the Utopia and GSX-Mini.

I don’t need the XBass or 3D cross feed as the Mojo2 has those features and are better.

What irks me the most is I am at 1/4 volume on the 0 gain setting. And Ifi clearly states the volume level “sweet spot” is at 12 o’clock on the volume dial - or there abouts.

I’m thinking the GSX-Mini is a much better match for such an efficient HP.

Budget wise I cannot go much over the GSX-Mini price.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #19,242 of 20,602
Deposit paid for GSX-Mini, waiting dealer delivery next week sometime.

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #19,243 of 20,602
not much difference could be another one's day and night better, depends on how you look at the things
personally i would say it's different but not much, you gotta go hear for yourself, side by side with the 2022

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #19,244 of 20,602
Well, I received my 2022 Utopias today. I have to get some adapters to use with my Lazuli Ultras or Nirvana. But testing them out on my trusty Black Dragon cables. They do sound real balanced. They don’t sound bright at all. Very intimate.

It’s not Susvaras but I definitely see why they are so beloved. This may be the best Dynamic Driver headphone ever. So now I have my dynamic driver duo in Focal Utopia-22/Stellia. I always felt the AKG K812/K872 were underrated and a great duo. But leaned more to Planars, and recently sold them.

Don't worry, Austrian Audio's (formerly AKG Vienna) answer with the C........ to the Focal's,K812 and HD800S will not be too long in coming
(And I am already curious about the faces of the competition 😉)

E15B6D48-02D0-41EA-B82F-397E720396AF.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/austria-head-fi-lounge.786111/page-14#post-17462188

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #19,245 of 20,602
Don't worry, Austrian Audio's (formerly AKG Vienna) answer with the C........ to the Focal's,K812 and HD800S will not be too long in coming
(And I am already curious about the faces of the competition 😉)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/austria-head-fi-lounge.786111/page-14#post-17462188

NOMAX

PS.lol

I am really getting hyped up by this C... headphone and have been saving my money to get something by the end of this year. Would you be able to comment on it's soundstage and driver size, seems like AKG is using a dynamic driver and from the comments you have made I am guessing it has very good soundstage and imaging capabilities cause that is what has the most room for growth (IMO).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back