Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 12, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #19,126 of 20,602
Jan 12, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #19,127 of 20,602
Anyone know where I can find discounts on the Utopia 2022? Not sure if I missed any good deals around Christmas time. I've been listening to the Utopia 2022 from a loaner tour the past few days... and I'm seriously considering getting it.
I would support the dealer that loaned it to you. It’s good karma.

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #19,128 of 20,602
Hi All! Recieved my Utopia's today, and Wow!!! I am impressed! Seems this pair is a recent one, the past owner said he bought it in 2020 or so. Un-EQ'd, they sound phenomenal! Looking forward to getting well acquinted with them this weekend! Ya'll have a great night!

Attachments

• UtopiaPic.jpg
    UtopiaPic.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #19,129 of 20,602
Hi All! Recieved my Utopia's today, and Wow!!! I am impressed! Seems this pair is a recent one, the past owner said he bought it in 2020 or so. Un-EQ'd, they sound phenomenal! Looking forward to getting well acquinted with them this weekend! Ya'll have a great night!
And don’t forget to ask for the initial receipt if it was initially bought from an official dealer (if you haven’t already).

Transferable 5 year warranty.

Enjoy!!
🎶

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #19,130 of 20,602
What's that wooden block over amp I guess just above the transformer of amp? Is it some EMI protection?

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #19,131 of 20,602
VPI bricks, meant to soak up stray magnetism from your transformers. Yes, I know, there a lot of people who don't buy into it. I love em, but very old school high end tweaks!

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #19,132 of 20,602
Hi All! I just wanted to update after a weekend of listening. I am in love with my Utopia's!!!

I had previously been listening to ZMF Verite Open's, which are no slouch. Still love them, my first set of headphones with impact, textured bass, and great tonality and imaging. But even when I purchased them, I was fully aware of the buzz about the Utopia, the reviews seemed to point me in that direction. But the used market wasn't kind at that time, used Utopia's were in the 3 grand range. And so I impulse purchased a pair of used Verite's, spent under 2 grand which was a stretch at the time. And I really like the Verite's, but the one area that always bothered me was the recessed mids. I love good female vocals and electric guitar, two things I particularly key into on any recording. Did some cable swapping, did some pad swapping, delved fairly deeply into Peace EQ/APO, and had a great sound, but just never could seem to fully rectify my issue with the mids.

Thanks to the 2023 Utopia's being introduced, the used market on earlier versions has come down significantly, and a pair I had been watching had a significant price cut, and I snapped at the chance. And I am soooo glad! Everything I craved in the mids is finally present, plus it seems to better the Verite in most other aspects. I set up an initial EQ curve Saturday, just the Oratory1990 one posted here and elsewhere following the recomended levels, and these Utopia's seem to deliver all aspects of what I listen for as an audiophile. I couldn't be more pleased!!!

Still using the stock cable, I may end up purchasing a cable to convert to XLR out, I kinda hate to cut this one up. Thank Ya'll for this thread, this is one of the places that put the Utopia on my radar, and I greatly appreciate it!!!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #19,134 of 20,602
Not a problem.
Just send the cable to me and I'll cut it up it for you.
I just had my cable (original looooong black one) cut about one foot from the end.
then added a male 4pin xlr to the end of the (long) cable and a 4 pin xlr to the short bit that was cut off that still had the 6.3mm plug.

and then bought after market cables anyway

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #19,136 of 20,602
I just had my cable (original looooong black one) cut about one foot from the end.
then added a male 4pin xlr to the end of the (long) cable and a 4 pin xlr to the short bit that was cut off that still had the 6.3mm plug.

and then bought after market cables anyway
Good idea to utilize both pieces of cable being it's so long.
I too bought aftermarket cables after terminating my stock cable to XLR.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #19,137 of 20,602
It's not that I can't cut the cable, but having a 1/4" headphone jack is handy at times, especially if I'm using a different/unbalanced HP amp. I hope to go silver in cable sometime in the near future, and Mjolnir 2 had both, I just wonder whether it's better in balanced config. So, I think i want to keep availability of both: 1/4" stock cable and balanced XLR silver.

Feb 1, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #19,138 of 20,602
Feliks Euforia AE (Euforia (OV) and Euforia Evo are also worth to consider).
Focal himself choose this amp for showcasing the Utopia.
I have the Euforia AE myself paired with Utopia OG. I am listening now for 2 weeks and must say that it is not the best match imo because the mids are not that good articulated and to thin sounding and i feel the Utopia is not driven to the full potential. In case you go with the Euforia, then you need a preamp to explore what the Utopia is capable of.

The Utopia is to sensitive for the Euforia so that you loose a lot of dynamic range and can not even experience the tubiness and holographic attributes of this amp.

I use the Euforia as a preamp into Burson Soloist GT and vice versa, which drives the Utopia much better.

The results are Full thick midrange and a cohesive sound as it should be. I dont like the idea to use a pre amp because you loose some details, but it is what it is. I would like to go the direct way, from the DAC in to the head amp if possible.

Tbh, i am searching my own this tread for a good tube amp pairing with the Utopia.

Recommendations are highly welcome!

Edit: i must apologize for the post above bc the tubes on the Euforia were playing games with me.
As i sayid, i have the Euforia since two weeks and since 2 days ago the Euforia became shouty and was lacking base so i decided to hook it up to a preamp which improved the sound.
I red that the tubes can vary in SQ during the burnin process which i think i experienced.
Now the amp is back to normal and a good companion for the Utopia.
I also stay to my statement that there must be better amps for the Utopia bc it still has a richer and fuller midrange and a thicker base when hooked to a preamp.

Sorry for the created confusion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back