Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 24, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #18,871 of 20,644
I got the Holo May with Ferrum OOR stack with an additional Lumin streamer, the Esoteric N-05XD is here to simplify the setup to either N-05XD to OOR or simply using the N-05XD only and forget about the OOR.
If you would land on a desert island and the only headphone setup you could take with you would be Utopia + either N-05XD as a standalone or May + some headphone amp, what would you pick and why?

I currently have May + SparkoS Aries, but N-05XD is whispering my name :) Utopia is my main headphone.

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #18,872 of 20,644
Got a new OG Focal Utopia coming - couldn't resist the 36% off sale at Addicted To Audio

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #18,873 of 20,644
I’m certainly not aware of any other headphones using LEMO connectors though there may be one or two. You can buy the separate connectors and find someone to swap them out for you If you buy another headphone cable.
AKG K812/K872 both use 3 pin LEMO connectors, although they aren't interchangeable with the 2 pin Focal connectors.

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #18,874 of 20,644
The OG Utopia are half price here in AUS.

I currently have the Clear OG and LOVE them....wondering if I should bite the bullet and upgrade.....Is it a completely different sound....or just better than what I already have?

Utopia is absolutely better. "Completely different sound"? No, but once you hear what Utopia can do you can't UNhear what every other dynamic headphone in the world CAN'T do. The only criticism anyone has ever levied at Utopia is that some hear it as "bright" (I'm not one of them), but you have a HD800 in your profile pic, and Utopia is objectively less bright than that. Or that Utopia's soundstage is narrow. There is truth to this, but carefully analyzed I think you'll find that Utopia is HONEST. If there isn't a lot of soundstage IN the music, Utopia won't add soundstage. But if the music is recorded with spacial cues, Utopia will faithfully reproduce every nuance of that soundstage. Utopia gives you every iota of your music, more faithfully and with more engagement than anything else I've ever heard.

I hope you find that you love it every bit as much as I do. :)

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #18,875 of 20,644
Utopia is absolutely better. "Completely different sound"? No, but once you hear what Utopia can do you can't UNhear what every other dynamic headphone in the world CAN'T do. The only criticism anyone has ever levied at Utopia is that some hear it as "bright" (I'm not one of them), but you have a HD800 in your profile pic, and Utopia is objectively less bright than that. Or that Utopia's soundstage is narrow. There is truth to this, but carefully analyzed I think you'll find that Utopia is HONEST. If there isn't a lot of soundstage IN the music, Utopia won't add soundstage. But if the music is recorded with spacial cues, Utopia will faithfully reproduce every nuance of that soundstage. Utopia gives you every iota of your music, more faithfully and with more engagement than anything else I've ever heard.

I hope you find that you love it every bit as much as I do. :)
personally i would not nexessarily call the utopia bright, also having an hd800, but i would call it lively and punchy in my setup, though a few have disagreed with that which i then put down to different setups.

however when i did have the cayin iha6 the combo was definitely too energetic and fatiguing. The iha6 is also a lively amp forward in the upper end. I was exhausted after demoing those two together.
Luckily i re-demoed the utopia with my next amps (taurus and v280) and picked it up at around that current sale clearance price of $3500. That was about two or so years ago that i bought it and still enjoying it.

Nov 24, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #18,876 of 20,644
Got a new OG Focal Utopia coming - couldn't resist the 36% off sale at Addicted To Audio

Are there any killer deals on the OG Utopia Stateside? Thinking about picking up a second pair for use in a vacation home

Nov 24, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #18,877 of 20,644
I had an extended listening test at Addicted to Audio in Melbourne. I brought my original Clear as well as the Burson Conductor 3X Reference (also have Arche at home) for A/B. For me, they both have the Focal sound "profile" but my god does the Utopia eclipse the Clear in every way. I'm sort of happy with my Clear but have always felt like it's missing something - the Utopia filled the void really nicely for me. The Clear OG for AUD$990 is an absolute steal though! So is the Utopia (2020 set with the box) at AUD$3500. So finally....after years of drooling....I finally got the Utopia!!

I'm going to go into the Perth store today and Audition them.

My only reservations might be that my d90se and A90 might be a clinical match for them, but they are perfect for the clears.

I wont be upgrading or changing sources and amps.

Thanks

I don't own a HD800 by the way, its just the default picture from when I signed up lol

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #18,878 of 20,644
I'm going to go into the Perth store today and Audition them.

My only reservations might be that my d90se and A90 might be a clinical match for them, but they are perfect for the clears.

I wont be upgrading or changing sources and amps.

Thanks

I don't own a HD800 by the way, its just the default picture from when I signed up lol
Do yourself a favour and don’t find excuses not to buy them. Even with the ChiFi they will be an upgrade to the Clear.
Sorry, to be so dominant but it’s my nature!

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #18,879 of 20,644
I had an extended listening test at Addicted to Audio in Melbourne. I brought my original Clear as well as the Burson Conductor 3X Reference (also have Arche at home) for A/B. For me, they both have the Focal sound "profile" but my god does the Utopia eclipse the Clear in every way. I'm sort of happy with my Clear but have always felt like it's missing something - the Utopia filled the void really nicely for me. The Clear OG for AUD$990 is an absolute steal though! So is the Utopia (2020 set with the box) at AUD$3500. So finally....after years of drooling....I finally got the Utopia!!
Which did you prefer: the Focal Arche or the Burson Conductor 3XR with your Utopia 2020s? I loved the sounds of both, but the Focal was a little less flexible and less powerful (the Burson would be able to drive anything) and didn't have balanced inputs. However, the construction of the Arche was beautiful and the incorporation of the headphone stand, although not Focal's original idea (see Beyerdynamic A2), was a work of art.
Glad I managed to have the funds for the Utopias - Addicted To Audio only had 10 pairs and I suspect they may be running low at that amazing price. Head-Fi purchases alone will dry that well up as soon as.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #18,880 of 20,644
Are there any killer deals on the OG Utopia Stateside? Thinking about picking up a second pair for use in a vacation home
I just picked up an open box pair from Headphones.com for about $3200 with free overnight shipping. They apparently have more available.

I found no killer deals anywhere.

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #18,881 of 20,644
Focal Utopia 2020 from the Naim Uniti Atom HE.

Phenomenal.

I understand the love for these cans.

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #18,882 of 20,644
If you would land on a desert island and the only headphone setup you could take with you would be Utopia + either N-05XD as a standalone or May + some headphone amp, what would you pick and why?
No comment on what HP amp would be a candidate for replacement of your Sparkos, but just wanted to comment on how spacious, revealing and downright enjoyable the May sounds with the Utopia.
I've paired a May L2 with my Benchmark HPA4 and the Utopia and the May has really raised the bar on my headphone listening. At the moment I've been listening mainly in NOS mode without external OS.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #18,883 of 20,644
Do yourself a favour and don’t find excuses not to buy them. Even with the ChiFi they will be an upgrade to the Clear.
Sorry, to be so dominant but it’s my nature!
A few people from down under it seems on these forums.

The OG Utopia at the Australian clear out price is the best TOTL headphone for the money you can get today.

Just cable roll to suit your source and preferences (or adapters if you already have some favourite cables) you’ll be very, very happy. Whilst my Utopia has been made redundant by the LCD-5, you can lose yourself for hours auditioning in person. Enjoy. If you can swing it, audition out of the Naim Uniti Atom and see if they will cut you a package deal. I’ve auditioned many amps and still find that to be a great synergy with the Utopia

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #18,884 of 20,644
Which did you prefer: the Focal Arche or the Burson Conductor 3XR with your Utopia 2020s? I loved the sounds of both, but the Focal was a little less flexible and less powerful (the Burson would be able to drive anything) and didn't have balanced inputs. However, the construction of the Arche was beautiful and the incorporation of the headphone stand, although not Focal's original idea (see Beyerdynamic A2), was a work of art.
Glad I managed to have the funds for the Utopias - Addicted To Audio only had 10 pairs and I suspect they may be running low at that amazing price. Head-Fi purchases alone will dry that well up as soon as.
I like the Burson better. And now I'm wondering what to do with the Arche. The Arche gives me a headache with the USB connection to my MacBook.

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #18,885 of 20,644
I like the Burson better. And now I'm wondering what to do with the Arche. The Arche gives me a headache with the USB connection to my MacBook.
I had a Focal Arche. Check that the firmware is up to date and once it is, make sure you turn on the Arche first, then the Macbook. I used a Surface Pro 4 with mine and it always connected reliably via a USB-C to USB-B connector. I thought the Burson Conductor 3X was better as well - it seemed to have a bit more "oomph".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back