Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 4, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #18,736 of 20,602
A trade in program would be appropriate in this case.

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #18,737 of 20,602
Nov 4, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #18,738 of 20,602
Apparently the voice coil problem is not limited in early elear and utopia product batch . It happen to even recent Elex and og Clear. And don’t forget about clipping and 40hz-noise problems . I canceled 2 deals for 2 used Elex because of that bass-induced noise problem :frowning2:

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #18,739 of 20,602
Apparently the voice coil problem is not limited in early elear and utopia product batch . It happen to even recent Elex and og Clear. And don’t forget about clipping and 40hz-noise problems . I canceled 2 deals for 2 used Elex because of that bass-induced noise problem :frowning2:
Yes they have never addressed their diaphragm excursion issue, which might explain why they rolled off their sub bass so sharply on the majority of their headphones, including the Utopia. Many folks complain of their drivers bottoming out at low frequencies. This is completely unreasonable in a dynamic driver headphone.

If their solution is to shaft their loyal customers by playing this shell game, promoting this new exorbitantly priced model as an advance rather than as a remedy, then my opinion of them is considerably tarnished. Like I said I just bought mine a little over a year ago, and if my coils fail they’re going to be in for a major headache from me. The only way I’ll get this “new” model is through customer support.

I’m seriously pissed and I think for very fair reasons—this new model drives down the resale value for those of us with precarious voice coils, and this is one of the highest priced headphones available. Such an investment should come with a surfeit of customer loyalty efforts, despite what our resident economist on here says.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #18,740 of 20,602
Are voice coil failure in models the last x years really that much of an issue?

Was it a manufacture problem or a transport problem or a design defect?

Utopia has a 5 year warranty. Is this the expected life time of a headphone >$5000?

Utopia was selling at a significant discount to retail. Correcting for inflation, the price for the new model has corrected. Give it time and it may again trade at discount.

Yet to hear the new one. I have a slight preference towards planar headphones. But I still enjoy the Utopia whenever I pick it up.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #18,741 of 20,602
For what? I wish I can have a Stellia dome and install it into the Utopia magnet frame and closure for measurements. The stellia has Be drivers with familiar magnets used on the Clear.
I just randomly commented on a free and unserious forum based on some evidences. If you find any reasonable idea for feedback on this old thread it will be great.

Nonsense, it costs a grand more to fix a design flaw! They should offer an upgrade program like HFM does at least. Money grows on trees for you I suppose?

Seems like the Utopia isn't a good choice for either of you. Good that you've identified that.

Moving on...

Nov 4, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #18,742 of 20,602
Seems like the Utopia isn't a good choice for either of you. Good that you've identified that.

Moving on...
Some skepticism people are a little annoying for some manufacturers. At the same time good that Some people heartily believe and tribute products and catalog pr talk. We are all in this thread due to the love for the Utopia.

Nov 4, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #18,743 of 20,602

Moving on...
I own the Utopia sir, the 2020 model, for which I paid $4,400. I would not be on this thread if I didn’t. I’m extremely fond of it but live in apprehension that my voice coils may fail, without recourse.

I’m contributing to a valid discussion about Focal’s tactics to release an “upgrade” to their admittedly flawed voice coil design, tweak a couple of aesthetic details, raise the price an extra $600 and call this a novel triumph of engineering.

Despite the sycophantic claims of some others on here, there’s no evidence that the 2022 model has sonic improvements over its predecessor, nor does Focal claim this. They’re marketing it as a more “reliable” headphone, and that was also the pitch they recommended on dealer tear sheets. What this “refresh” really represented was a “fix”, and unlike other manufacturers Focal did not offer a trade in program.

This is a Focal Utopia discussion group, not a Focal Utopia worship shrine. If you’re bored, by all means move on—but could you please offer the courtesy of doing so quietly?. There are a lot of people here; my contributions may be of interest to some of them in my situation and I’d welcome their thoughts in return. Thank you, and Peace.

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #18,745 of 20,602
I’m contributing to a valid discussion about Focal’s tactics to release an “upgrade” to their admittedly flawed voice coil design, tweak a couple of aesthetic details, raise the price an extra $600 and call this a novel triumph of engineering.

How is your "contribution" that the drivers have these problems confirmed?
Was there any confirmation from focal? And what does "general acceptance" mean? Where has this "general acceptance" been promulgated?
You demand arguments from everyone, but what are your arguments? Do you have statistics on driver failures?

I just recently bought a year old Utopia 2020. And I read all this from you. And I want to know how much credibility it has or if it's just a single opinion...

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #18,747 of 20,602
Was there any confirmation from focal? And what does "general acceptance" mean? Where has this "general acceptance" been promulgated?
You demand arguments from everyone, but what are your arguments? Do you have statistics on driver failures?

I just recently bought a year old Utopia 2020. And I read all this from you. And I want to know how much credibility it has or if it's just a single opinion...
Believe me, it's not single opinion.....

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #18,748 of 20,602

Are you seriously questioning the issue of driver failure with these cans? Have you perused the bevy of complaints about this on this site alone? This thread is around 1300 pages alone—search for it. Are you also unaware of the reputation the original model had for driver excursion issues and frequent bottoming out of the diaphragm with low shelf applied? Google that too.

Did you miss the dealer tear sheets that were posted here upon the 2022 launch (later pulled by Focal’s legal team) that addressed the driver failure issue and this new headphone being the remedy? The part where they reassured dealers that this new Utopia was officially the “reliable” version, after myriad storefronts had complained about the number of returns and complaints from customers?

If so, you can get started here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/j51tke/the_focal_driver_failure_seems_pretty_bad/

And here:

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-focal-utopia-2022-headphone-review-singapore-price-specs

Do you honestly think I would go through all this without any justification? Like I’ve got nothing better to do? I’m having a discussion in another thread with a guy who has had to return his Utopias four times since 2016 for voice coil failure. I paid $4400 a year and a half ago and I’m concerned about my investment, what is wrong with that? I’m not the kind of guy you’ve made up about me at ALL.

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #18,749 of 20,602
Just use the search tool in this thread and search for "driver failure". You will be surprised how many head-fi users have reported that.

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #18,750 of 20,602
Come on guys, let's move on...please don't put the livelihoods of this thread in jeopardy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back