Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 10, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #18,677 of 20,588
Oct 12, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #18,681 of 20,588
Interesting. And reassuring at the same time. My main concern(s) with the original OG Utopia are the driver failures which hopefully are less of an issue. And the 5 year warranty does bring some comfort. How many of us upgrade a flagship headphone in 5 years?

Are the original Utopia a bargain now? How many of us will be upgrading? Time will tell. I haven’t had the notification they are in stock yet and am looking forward to auditioning them.

And the Naim Uniti Atom is still a firm favourite. Yes, the DCS Bartok/LINA and Chord TT2 are superior DAC’s but in terms of being 90++ percent happy, I’m glad I have the Uniti Atom.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #18,682 of 20,588
Interesting. And reassuring at the same time. My main concern(s) with the original OG Utopia are the driver failures which hopefully are less of an issue. And the 5 year warranty does bring some comfort. How many of us upgrade a flagship headphone in 5 years?

Are the original Utopia a bargain now? How many of us will be upgrading? Time will tell. I haven’t had the notification they are in stock yet and am looking forward to auditioning them.

And the Naim Uniti Atom is still a firm favourite. Yes, the DCS Bartok/LINA and Chord TT2 are superior DAC’s but in terms of being 90++ percent happy, I’m glad I have the Uniti Atom.
I did take some time as described in a previous post to compare OG vs New.

To my ears the New is indeed an improvement sound wise. But the OG remains outstanding and I’d be quite surprised if we see a lot of OG owners upgrading. The 2K+ you’d have to spend on the upgrade would probably be better spent on any other improvement of the chain (and would buy you 2/3rds of the indeed outstanding Naim).

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #18,683 of 20,588
Looks like this thread is the victor for new Utopia discussions too. I got a review loaner in earlier today and wanted to share some photos and measurements:

IMG_4786.jpg
IMG_4804.jpg
IMG_4831.jpg

IMG_4839.jpg
IMG_4841.jpg
IMG_4855.jpg

graph (2).png

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #18,684 of 20,588
Hi everyone

I just got a new 2020 Utopia which is being burnt in. I have been using it with FiiO M17 and it sounds fine but I am left wondering how would it sound with a little added warmth. I understand Naim uniti is an excellent combo but I was wondering if it would sound good with a trans-portable warm DAP like Sony Wm1z or Cayin n8?

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #18,686 of 20,588
Hi everyone

I just got a new 2020 Utopia which is being burnt in. I have been using it with FiiO M17 and it sounds fine but I am left wondering how would it sound with a little added warmth. I understand Naim uniti is an excellent combo but I was wondering if it would sound good with a trans-portable warm DAP like Sony Wm1z or Cayin n8?
I can drive mine off a Chord Mojo 2 without problems. The OGs really aren’t hard to drive. It is still highly enjoyable.

But the Naim brings it to yet another level of both precision and dynamics.

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #18,688 of 20,588
Naim sounds like a wonderful pairing. Guess have to choose between trans portability vs absolute sound quality
I would opt for the Naim Atom. I have had a good experience with most Chord DACs but the Mojo 2 and Hugo were outliers.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #18,690 of 20,588
I would love to get Naim. What’s stopping me is that I don’t want to be tethered to my desktop due to personal circumstances. I am keen to trial any portable tube options
Not sure if anyone has try this?

https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wa8

I only heard with the Meze Elite at CanJam and it sounded wonderful.

And yes, the Naim HE is a wonderful pairing. I even prefer it over the Chord Dave/mscaler. Not quite as technical but great weight, rhythm and flow. I recently moved on from the og Utopia to the Expanse, but have kept the Naim HE and it still makes a wonderful paring. With the Expanse, it actually sounds much better than the $30k DCS Lina stack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back