Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 25, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #17,416 of 20,634
I swear by the Moon Black Dragon cable for my Utopia.

Though I haven’t tried a thousand cable options to say it’s better or not than others.

Apr 26, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #17,418 of 20,634
What's the newer Utopia? Cuz I'm thinking of selling my TC.
There is no newer Utopia. In 2020 they updated the accessories and increased the price.

Apr 26, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #17,419 of 20,634
it's the 2023 Utopia FE (forum edition) where there are new drivers and all new tech, but actually it's the same old Utopia as its always been.

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #17,420 of 20,634
2 connected people have hinted at a Grande Utopia. One was a well know forum member and the other was a vendor. Who knows if/when it will come out, but people have speculated in the fall of this year. It’s all speculation, but if it is real I can’t wait to hear it

Apr 26, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #17,422 of 20,634
2 connected people have hinted at a Grande Utopia. One was a well know forum member and the other was a vendor. Who knows if/when it will come out, but people have speculated in the fall of this year. It’s all speculation, but if it is real I can’t wait to hear it
That news is so 2021 (or was it 2020)?

Apr 26, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #17,423 of 20,634

The "well known forum member" is well known for making updated headphone release predictions quarterly for almost all high end headphones, so that's meaningless.

I'm sure at some currently unknown date in the future, there will be a new Focal flagship. I'm equally as sure that the minute it's released, some people will be concerned about purchasing it as "there is a rumor or a replacement in the future"...

Apr 26, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #17,424 of 20,634
If the direction of the Clear Mg is any indication, a Utopia successor may be two steps back.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #17,426 of 20,634
Hey guys!

I want to share some experience with you and see if anyone else experienced the same.

I bought a Focal Utopia 2 years ago and really did not like it. It had nothing that people described here. Detail retrieval was average, it had little slam and it was not immersive. I sold it quickly and couldn't understand what people like about it.

1 month ago I bought another one here and wanted to revisit it as my preferences have also changed over time. I got it and I was so impressed by the Utopia, I couldn't believe it was the same headphone I had 2 years before. Slam, immersiveness, detail retrieval. Very enjoyable.

But the seller did not tell me that it was a demo unit and it was missing packaging so I sent it back, having in mind to buy a complete set. I got a complete set just a week later and it did not sound like the one before^^ It sounded like my first unit from 2 years ago. I thought it was probably just different perception, why should it sound different? But it was only 1 week in between the two units. I decided to sell that one as well as I really did not enjoy it.

When I sold it, the buyer told me, that he is hoping for a "super-Utopia". I asked him what he means by that. He said that there is a lot of unit variance and you must have some luck to get a good one^^ So I knew I was not fooled by my mind and there was actually a difference. I then bought a new one from a dealer and it was bad as well^^

Then I bought another one again from a different dealer which arrived today. And what should I say, this one sounds absolutely amazing. The technical difference is maybe around 10% but it's day and night regarding enjoyment. If someone would tell me that story, I would not believe it.
Same Experience 👍

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #17,427 of 20,634
Japanese shop reporting end of production notice for Utopia for supply issues

Edit: And a note that follow on product is planned but not dates yet

173843C2-9453-481A-9601-8163A16C4884.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #17,428 of 20,634
Japanese shop reporting end of production notice for Utopia for supply issues

Edit: And a note that follow on product is planned but not dates yet

Imagine if they get their information from Headf-Fi. You’ll know for sure if they still don’t know how long the warranty is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back