Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 27, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #17,266 of 20,602
Yes the Covid Situation messes things up

NOMAX

Mar 27, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #17,267 of 20,602
Recently tried pairing Focal Utopia with an all-in-one streaming DAC. The Esoteric K-05XD, is a streaming DAC with a 4-pin XLR headphone output. It is such a nice pairing, is sounded very organic and emotional. Bass is extremely punchy and extended down deep into the lows and very well controlled at the same time. You can feel the surrounding in the music and very holographic stage. It is very nicely paring with the Focal Utopia, no metallic or edgy sound at all.
Glad to hear you liked the Utopia on the Esoteric. I've been eyeing their N-05XD lately. Looks like a fantastic all-in-one. I wonder what availability is like these days...

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #17,268 of 20,602
Glad to hear you liked the Utopia on the Esoteric. I've been eyeing their N-05XD lately. Looks like a fantastic all-in-one. I wonder what availability is like these days...
Yes, I really like the presentation of the bass and mids on the Esoteric N-05XD. It is very tastefully colored, the bass is not only punchy, it also slightly adds a little sub-bass vibration to each bass hit. Especially for live band performance music, you can clearly hear each bass hit is different from each other as they are not synthetic electronic music. The Esoteric also gives the Utopia a very wide sound stage and a very nice sense of surroundings. You can really feel that you are in the middle of a music hall. Vocals has added coloration and they sounded very emotional at the same time with very good extension in the highs, the vocals are extremely dynamic and cover the entire spectrum, both lower mids for emotional voice and upper mids for lighter and younger vocals are very pronounced. The Esoteric DAC is also very detailed, it is able to enhance some micro detail in the music so that it can be heard clearly, while the macro detail is very well controlled. I have never heard the Utopia perform to such a high level for a long time before when trying different types of setup.

The weakness of the Esoteric N-05XD or I will call it people's personal preferences, those who lean towards a studio monitor clean and flat sound would not agree with the Esoteric N-05XD. Those who like a musical, punchy, tastefully coloration across the spectrum will love the Esoteric.

Mar 29, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #17,271 of 20,602
Can Anybody compare Utopia against He1000 se?
I owned them both about 18 months ago.

Both very detailed in their own way. Both are great headphones.

he1000se a bit thinner in comparison only and utopia fuller.
That is reflected in the he1000se sounding quite precise in instrument placement and tight bass.
the utopia still has very good instrument placement but hekse a bit more precisely defined as part of not being quite as full as the utopia.
found the he1000se a bit brighter up top, maybe due to its precise (thinner) sound again

the hekse is VERY easy to drive well

i only sold the he1000se after buying the susvaras and i sold the he1000se and kept the utopias due to the utopias fuller sound.
I had no preference between the two before i bought the susvaras and was considering my overall collection - i was using both just as much But would reach for my hekse when sitting on the couch listening to music straight out of my ipad/iphone

hope that helps

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #17,272 of 20,602
I owned them both about 18 months ago.

Both very detailed in their own way. Both are great headphones.

he1000se a bit thinner in comparison only and utopia fuller.
That is reflected in the he1000se sounding quite precise in instrument placement and tight bass.
the utopia still has very good instrument placement but hekse a bit more precisely defined as part of not being quite as full as the utopia.
found the he1000se a bit brighter up top, maybe due to its precise (thinner) sound again

the hekse is VERY easy to drive well

i only sold the he1000se after buying the susvaras and i sold the he1000se and kept the utopias due to the utopias fuller sound.
I had no preference between the two before i bought the susvaras and was considering my overall collection - i was using both just as much But would reach for my hekse when sitting on the couch listening to music straight out of my ipad/iphone

hope that helps
I still own and use both - HEKse has a wider stage, a bloomier low end (but less defined), slightly more brittle highs and an "airier" presentation. Utopia is punchier, a bit warmer overall, has a more "intimate" presentation and crisper in its detail retreival. Both have good clarity (edge to Utopia) and both are easy to drive. One thing I think is noticeable is that both sound great at low volumes, but Utopia is quite a bit more enjoyable at high volume listening, to me HEKse starts to lose its charm at higher levels.

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #17,273 of 20,602
I still own and use both - HEKse has a wider stage, a bloomier low end (but less defined), slightly more brittle highs and an "airier" presentation. Utopia is punchier, a bit warmer overall, has a more "intimate" presentation and crisper in its detail retreival. Both have good clarity (edge to Utopia) and both are easy to drive. One thing I think is noticeable is that both sound great at low volumes, but Utopia is quite a bit more enjoyable at high volume listening, to me HEKse starts to lose its charm at higher levels.
I won’t agree with gloomier low end (respectfully) but will 100% agree with airier presentation - maybe a better term than my thin adjective :)

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #17,274 of 20,602
I recently retired and have had time to rekindle my love of music. Up until now, portability has been a priority, using AK SP100M gold with UE Live IEMs. I just ordered the Focal Utopia with black dragon cables configured for the AK. Having spent the last 4 days perusing the 1152 pages of this thread, it is apparent that an amp would enhance the sound of this setup.

I’m leaning toward the Naim HE edition and wonder if I should cable just for that or still leave the AK in the chain? I will still use the AK for portability, but will also spend time in a dedicated spot. Recommendations appreciated, my budget is <$5000 for the amp.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #17,275 of 20,602
I recently retired and have had time to rekindle my love of music. Up until now, portability has been a priority, using AK SP100M gold with UE Live IEMs. I just ordered the Focal Utopia with black dragon cables configured for the AK. Having spent the last 4 days perusing the 1152 pages of this thread, it is apparent that an amp would enhance the sound of this setup.

I’m leaning toward the Naim HE edition and wonder if I should cable just for that or still leave the AK in the chain? I will still use the AK for portability, but will also spend time in a dedicated spot. Recommendations appreciated, my budget is <$5000 for the amp.
I'm a recent owner of a Pathos Inpol Ear it is a fantastic dedicated headphone amp with balanced headphone outputs. I'd strongly recommend giving it a hearing if you like it you can buy an upgrade later in the form of a Chord Qutest. I've recently bought at the Silver Dragons for the Utopia's I have the Black Dragon's for the Stellia's.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #17,277 of 20,602

Congrats on retirement! If you want a no fuss, easy to use, reliable and great sounding solution for the Utopia imo try the Sony TA-zh1es! Best sounding I have ever heard. I much prefer it to the Chord TT2.

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #17,278 of 20,602
I'm a recent owner of a Pathos Inpol Ear it is a fantastic dedicated headphone amp with balanced headphone outputs. I'd strongly recommend giving it a hearing if you like it you can buy an upgrade later in the form of a Chord Qutest. I've recently bought at the Silver Dragons for the Utopia's I have the Black Dragon's for the Stellia's.
Why not just get the Pathos with the integrated DAC rather than add the Qutest later?

Mar 31, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #17,280 of 20,602

The cayin amps that have been mentiined here - ha300 mk ii or the ha6a look like suitable options for the utopia and adding tubes to it.

Also I have not heard the naim but reading comments and reviews on it, though it may not be the final word on detail and looking at your budget it could well be a great option for it’s versatilit, move around the house-ability and the fact it’s a dac, amp and streamer. A nifty all in one. i would say definitely worth a demo

all the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back