Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 15, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #16,426 of 20,602
No one here is going to have anything other than anecdotal data, just like you. I imagine the only ones with real number are Focal themselves.
That be true. And they are not the most responsive people, even to their ADs and retailers. I had a driver failure. Sent it in mid September. To date there is still no ETA or status update. Perhaps that’s why 5 year warranty is needed. 😆

Whilst the Utopia is a good pair of headphones, the lack of customer care or after sales service is shocking for a what aspires to be a flagship headphone of an allegedly premium brand. Paired with the rate of driver failure… But good lesson learnt. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #16,427 of 20,602
Nov 15, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #16,429 of 20,602
That be true. And they are not the most responsive people, even to their ADs and retailers. I had a driver failure. Sent it in mid September. To date there is still no ETA or status update. Perhaps that’s why 5 year warranty is needed. 😆

Whilst the Utopia is a good pair of headphones, the lack of customer care or after sales service is shocking for a what aspires to be a flagship headphone of an allegedly premium brand. Paired with the rate of driver failure… But good lesson learnt. :wink:

Just to counter this, I had a loose connector socket on the right hand side of my utopia, sent them back to France and had them back in UK fixed in 10 days. Comms we’re pretty minimal though

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #16,430 of 20,602
Just to counter this, I had a loose connector socket on the right hand side of my utopia, sent them back to France and had them back in UK fixed in 10 days. Comms we’re pretty minimal though
That's nice. Perhaps Focal doesn’t care as much about their customers or ADs in Asia. Caveat emptor. :)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #16,431 of 20,602
That's nice. Perhaps Focal doesn’t care as much about their customers or ADs in Asia. Caveat emptor. :)
I can agree to that :) Local distro was extremely unhelpful when I had to get mine checked out a few years back, won't go to too much detail as it still gives me a headache trying to wrap my head around how they handled it given the price tag.

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #16,432 of 20,602
I have been avoiding posting here hoping that Focal or my Hi-Fi dealer would get back to me. My Utopias blew over a month ago, several emails to have got me nowhere. I tried phoning, but my dealer has an answer phone. Does anyone know how to get a response from Focal?

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #16,436 of 20,602
@FocalOfficial (or anyone else in this thread), can you tell us what the headband material is under the leather? I have an opportunity to buy the Utopia at a great price, but I'm concerned about stories such as https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/p1cay8/what_900_buys_you_at_focal. Is the part under the leather plastic or is it metal?
Can’t tell you what’s under there but I have never read a single post of someone’s Utopia’s headband breaking. It’s possible I missed something but only complaints of creaking is it. I’d imagine the rest of it under there is the carbon fiber the you see attached to the cups.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #16,437 of 20,602
Can’t tell you what’s under there but I have never read a single post of someone’s Utopia’s headband breaking. It’s possible I missed something but only complaints of creaking is it. I’d imagine the rest of it under there is the carbon fiber the you see attached to the cups.
True, but the counterpoint is that very few people have Utopias, relatively speaking. If the headband is plastic, which it seems to be for several other Focal models, I'd like to know that.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #16,438 of 20,602
Nov 17, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #16,439 of 20,602
Nov 17, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #16,440 of 20,602
I will just say this…some people are much harder on their equipment then others and should bare some responsibility for failures. I can’t remember the last time electronic equipment broke on me. My wife on the other hand is hard on her equipment and no surprise things break. People have different expectations of what is normal use and expected durability, so when I read comments and see pictures I wonder what proportion of the failure is due to the user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back