Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 10, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #16,413 of 20,602
Yes chord released some teaser photis last week, check facebook. Moment will look for you…

Nov 10, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #16,414 of 20,602
Here it is

Attachments

• 148BAFCD-5A60-4D85-BEAA-3CFBC455F3A3.png
    148BAFCD-5A60-4D85-BEAA-3CFBC455F3A3.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 10, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #16,415 of 20,602
Here it is
When I recommended the Chord Mojo I did mention the mojo2 would be released very soon. The idea was that there would be used ones for sale while people trying to unload for next model. Would not recommend to buy new. And believe he did pick one up here from another user. On used market still great value even with new one around the corner. And next model will probably be close to $1000

Nov 10, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #16,416 of 20,602
When I recommended the Chord Mojo I did mention the mojo2 would be released very soon. The idea was that there would be used ones for sale while people trying to unload for next model. Would not recommend to buy new. And believe he did pick one up here from another user. On used market still great value even with new one around the corner. And next model will probably be close to $1000
Yeah I think that’s likely. I think I’ll be happy with my decision to just pick up a used one. It’ll all be good!

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #16,417 of 20,602
I got a set of Elear pads in today to try some pad rolling on my Utopias. Frequency graph comparisons have been published elsewhere, suggesting about a 5 db broad rise in the low end, and some taming of the high end around 5-7,000 hz.

Although I’m not terribly fond of the squishy memory foam on the Elear pads (which look far less premium than the stock Utopia’s lamb skin), the differences in the sound signature were quite audible and by no means subtle. The Elear pads definitely form more of a secure seal on my ears, and I find that they lesson placement variations—and the changes in bass response are really something. I wouldn’t say “better”, but for more bass-hungry genres like rock, electronica, R&B, hip hop, etc (which are genres I prefer), I found that I could ease off on the bass enhancements on my Pro iCAN Signature—and that’s a setting I’ve never changed before.

Found the Elear pads on Amazon, shipped by Zorro Sounds for $150. If anyone has experience with rolling other pads on the Utopias, please let me know what your thoughts are about them!

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #16,418 of 20,602
@srkbear thanks for sharing your impressions. The one I’ve always wanted to try is the Elegia pads. From the comparison chart on headphones.com the Elegia pads should provide a bit of a bass boost - but less of a boost compared to the Elear, and less treble @ 4.5kHz which could balance the utopia nicely by making the frequency response smoother

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #16,419 of 20,602
I followed up my Utopia review with a hi-end/summit-fi comparison video.

Enjoy!

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #16,420 of 20,602
I followed up my Utopia review with a hi-end/summit-fi comparison video.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the review. This helps confirm that I made the right choice in getting the Utopia since I was looking for one the best that didn’t need to worry too much about how to amp it. Funny thing is I bought it to pair with the Chord Hugo 2 and ended up not liking that match.

Not sure how adding Danacable Lazuli Reference cable changes Utopia’s level of detail retrieval compared to the others with their stock cable. I just know it brought out the best in all the amps I’ve used it on.

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #16,421 of 20,602
Thanks for the review. This helps confirm that I made the right choice in getting the Utopia since I was looking for one the best that didn’t need to worry too much about how to amp it. Funny thing is I bought it to pair with the Chord Hugo 2 and ended up not liking that match.

Not sure how adding Danacable Lazuli Reference cable changes Utopia’s level of detail retrieval compared to the others with their stock cable. I just know it brought out the best in all the amps I’ve used it on.
what did you end up using to drive the Utopias?

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #16,422 of 20,602
what did you end up using to drive the Utopias?

I ended up with the Naim Uniti Atom HE as my main setup. I have Focal Arche as backup while I still work remotely from bedroom office. If I ever do go back to office, probably sell off Focal Arche.

When I got the Utopia’s, I had a Chord Hugo 2 and original Hugo. The Hugo 2 just had a somewhat sharp sound and lost the musical sound the original Hugo had. But it has more detail and bigger soundstage. But over time I found it too fatiguing. I fell into some money and upgraded to the Chord Dave and added the mscaler. It’s a pretty amazing combination but thought I spent way too much on headphone gear, so gave the Focal Arche a shot at $1500 new. Felt it was quiet enjoyable and could part with the high end Chord setup. I did miss having a remote and wanted to simplify, so picked up the Naim HE. Loved the functionality of it all and over time even realized a lot of music actually sounds better than it did on the Chord Dave. I’m still somewhat shocked by this.

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #16,423 of 20,602
I would much appreciate if someone could help me with registration of my Utopias which I received yesterday.I created an account on Focal site and was advised that details had been saved and an activation code would be sent.No code has been received spam also checked. I tried to reregister but advised that email address already held.I’ve contacted my authorised dealer who has just sent me the online Focal contact forum.I’ve tried to use this before and never got a reply.As Focal don’t appear to supply a customer telephone number should I just get back to dealer who presumably has direct access to Focal?Understandably I want warranty confirmation as soon as possible.

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #16,424 of 20,602

I have the Danacable LR+

I wouldn't say it significantly had an adverse effect on detail retrieval. It adds weight to the sound that may however make it seem that detail retrieval isn't as articulate. I'll have to do an A/B test if you really want. It does play a lot better with the Hugo2 with the Danacable. It's my portable set-up.

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #16,425 of 20,602
I have the Danacable LR+

I wouldn't say it significantly had an adverse effect on detail retrieval. It adds weight to the sound that may however make it seem that detail retrieval isn't as articulate. I'll have to do an A/B test if you really want. It does play a lot better with the Hugo2 with the Danacable. It's my portable set-up.
What is your source for the portable Hugo2 setup please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back