Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 6, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #16,396 of 20,603
7C11A2AC-CBB7-4E25-8192-E50D568A8110.jpeg
What's agressive attack mean?
Bear with me because I’m not an expert but this is what I’ve gathered over the past couple months of experiencing an odd journey with Focal headphones- I mean that Focal’s ultralight drivers like Mg and Be seem to cheat on the clarity by overshooting the attack, particularly on higher frequencies. This is based off of purr1n’s measurements at SBAF. (Attached)

I wonder if this leads to transients being louder than they would normally be and subsequently leading to the mysterious fatigue people get listening to some Focal headphones despite the fact they’re not even bright.

I seem to be susceptible to whatever is going on, which is a shame because I love the tonality and the detail Focal offers regardless. So yeah, trying to find a solution here.

Even more interestingly, when I underpower Focal headphones (by say using a phone jack) the fatiguing effect completely disappears for me. Transients are the first thing to go when underpowering a transducer so this would seem to support this explanation of what’s happening.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #16,397 of 20,603
Anyway, thank you all so far for the suggestions. I’m going to check them out. The Mojo idea intrigues me, and I’d get a mobile solution as a bonus! I wouldn’t walk around with Utopias on but it would be useful if I travel with them to a hotel or work.

I’m partial to Schiit so I’ll check out a bifrost/jot combo

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #16,398 of 20,603
+1 for the Mojo idea. I use a Mojo for my mobile rig. Im not sure it will fix a perceived aggressive sound as im not sure how that would sound to me. I could not describe my mobile rig as aggressive though. Even when listening to Evanescence.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #16,399 of 20,603
Bear with me because I’m not an expert but this is what I’ve gathered over the past couple months of experiencing an odd journey with Focal headphones- I mean that Focal’s ultralight drivers like Mg and Be seem to cheat on the clarity by overshooting the attack, particularly on higher frequencies. This is based off of purr1n’s measurements at SBAF. (Attached)

I wonder if this leads to transients being louder than they would normally be and subsequently leading to the mysterious fatigue people get listening to some Focal headphones despite the fact they’re not even bright.

I seem to be susceptible to whatever is going on, which is a shame because I love the tonality and the detail Focal offers regardless. So yeah, trying to find a solution here.

Even more interestingly, when I underpower Focal headphones (by say using a phone jack) the fatiguing effect completely disappears for me. Transients are the first thing to go when underpowering a transducer so this would seem to support this explanation of what’s happening.
glad my perception of the utopia's highs doesn't accord with any of that

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #16,400 of 20,603
B93C2E89-740A-47B3-967E-CE60953A91BB.png

glad my perception of the utopia's highs doesn't accord with any of that
The Clear Mg was much worse for me and the 4800hz attack measurements would indicate why. This is the reason I returned my Clear Mgs and getting Utopias because their overshoot is much more tolerable to my ears both by measurement and by A/B comparison over a several hour demo session. Actually it’s quite possible that with just about any usual discrete amp and not much thought, I’d be perfectly happy. But I’m trying to be proactive on the fatigue front particularly because a significant number of other people seem to experience this problem.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #16,401 of 20,603

The Clear Mg was much worse for me and the 4800hz attack measurements would indicate why. This is the reason I returned my Clear Mgs and getting Utopias because their overshoot is much more tolerable to my ears both by measurement and by A/B comparison over a several hour demo session. Actually it’s quite possible that with just about any usual discrete amp and not much thought, I’d be perfectly happy. But I’m trying to be proactive on the fatigue front particularly because a significant number of other people seem to experience this problem.
and it's likely that it is not a problem for a significant number of utopia owners, of which i am one. good luck with it anyway.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #16,402 of 20,603

and it's likely that it is not a problem for a significant number of utopia owners, of which i am one. good luck with it anyway.
It clearly isn’t! And many Clear MG folks are perfectly happy too. I don’t know what the hell is wrong with my ears or maybe I just got bad Clear MGs previously- quite possible.

But thank you. I just ordered a Mojo from the classifieds here. I think I’ll be happy trying that while I consider my end game chain over the next several months.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #16,403 of 20,603
It clearly isn’t! And many Clear MG folks are perfectly happy too. I don’t know what the hell is wrong with my ears or maybe I just got bad Clear MGs previously- quite possible.

But thank you. I just ordered a Mojo from the classifieds here. I think I’ll be happy trying that while I consider my end game chain over the next several months.

FWIW I also enjoyed Utopia/Mojo a good bit before upgrading to a Hugo 2. Utopia is just so revealing that it keeps giving you more the better your upstream gear is.

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #16,405 of 20,603
I just posted a Utopia review on my new YT channel:

Enjoy!

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #16,407 of 20,603
I just posted a Utopia review on my new YT channel:

Enjoy!

i wouldn't have minded you touting your YouTube channel here if your review of the utopia had brought something new to the discussion of a headphone that's been available since 2016, but i soon became bored with it - sorry

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #16,409 of 20,603
Saturday? You now mojo2 is coming veryvery soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back