Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 2, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #16,381 of 20,602
I just received the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads. I think they're pretty good, or perhaps, not as bad as I was expecting based on some of the comments I've read here. Definitely more low end and some loss of airiness up top. But nothing too detrimental so far.. Will do some more listening over the next few days.

The stitching on mine is pretty good. And the rubber padding layer is well-aligned.

*edit

It also seems to isolate more than the stock pads. Music is louder and I hear less of the outside. Yea.. Definitely more bass.

20211102_195309.jpg20211102_195348.jpg20211102_195443.jpg

Vs utopia pads (on the right)
So you like yours?

In my case, I think these pads (I have too!) took away too much character / dynamic and details of the Utopia, making it a lot less fun to listen to. Utopia sounds kinda "muddy" with these earpads.

I had to go back to my original earpads (now without the rubber).

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #16,382 of 20,602
I replaced mine with the original and can’t say that noticed any difference. Thought maybe there would be slight change due to old pads being a tad compressed. I was worried other brands would change the sound and that seems to be the case.

The one thing I did notice is you could still feel a little bit of the glue right by the attachment ring. Just hoping it stays and does leak out over time.

And as far as soundstage, I’m a big fan of Utopia’s intimate presentation. It’s still a nice 3D space with very precise placement. But for me, when I was younger, saw a lot of punk shows and would be right against the stage. So I still like that upfront sound. Seems there are other headphones out there for those that like big soundstage, feeling many rows back from the stage. I also haven’t liked any of the crossfeed options I’ve tried.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #16,383 of 20,602
So you like yours?

In my case, I think these pads (I have too!) took away too much character / dynamic and details of the Utopia, making it a lot less fun to listen to. Utopia sounds kinda "muddy" with these earpads.

I had to go back to my original earpads (now without the rubber).

I'm not sure if I like/dislike yet. Putting on the Dekoni pads sound almost like the Oratory EQ convolution filter. Yes, I agree it sounds a bit "muddy"; I suppose an alternative way to think of it would be some bass/mid bass boost and a somewhat less fatiguing sound up top.

*edit
With regards to the last comment, not that I find the Utopias with stock pads fatiguing, just that the comment was made to express a comparison to the norm.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #16,384 of 20,602
I got my Utopia repaired recently. Is it normal that the freight costs are charged to me even though the product is still in warranty? Normally it's all fine and all except I live in the Philippines so the distributor had to import from France, return the defective driver there, and they're charging me both ways.

Apologies in advance if I'm sounding real dumb here.

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #16,385 of 20,602
hello
i tried to search for my answer in this forum and still not very clear to me about warranty of focal! (sorry i'm noob)
my drivers was replaced after 3 years , suppose remain 2 years of warranty,
My question is: I know the ALL other aspect of HP still have remain 2 year warranty BUT about new drivers (do they have same 2 years left or restart 5 year from the date drivers was replaced?)
note: i ask my dealer here in montreal, Qc and i don't have answer from them, they said to figure it out when it's happen again !
thank you for for yours clarification,
best regards

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #16,386 of 20,602
hello
i tried to search for my answer in this forum and still not very clear to me about warranty of focal! (sorry i'm noob)
my drivers was replaced after 3 years , suppose remain 2 years of warranty,
My question is: I know the ALL other aspect of HP still have remain 2 year warranty BUT about new drivers (do they have same 2 years left or restart 5 year from the date drivers was replaced?)
note: i ask my dealer here in montreal, Qc and i don't have answer from them, they said to figure it out when it's happen again !
thank you for for yours clarification,
best regards
5 yrs total.
No restart...

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #16,387 of 20,602
I got my Utopia repaired recently. Is it normal that the freight costs are charged to me even though the product is still in warranty? Normally it's all fine and all except I live in the Philippines so the distributor had to import from France, return the defective driver there, and they're charging me both ways.

Apologies in advance if I'm sounding real dumb here.

If your Utopias are Return-to-Base warranty, that means you are responsible for getting them to the repair shop. You'd have to read the warranty for Philippines to determine if what they've done is within those terms.

Several Years ago, I had to have the Utopias failed driver fixed in Singapore (my regional distributor and repair shop) out of warranty. They were exceedingly good with me and offered me a replacement set for $100 more than the suggested repair bill (which was very high because both drivers needed to be replaced for voicing balance). I was more than happy with that arrangement. So I entered that arrangement with the distributor.

It really is up to your regional distributor on how they will handle these matters so you should try to find the Philippines warranty terms and conditions to see if you've been treated well or not.

Regards
GG

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #16,388 of 20,602
After spending a few days with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin.. It is quite hard to go back to the stock pads. That added midbass, bass and punch is addictive.

In contrast, I really disliked the Dekoni pads for the Stellia..

*edit

I do get why some don't like the Dekoni utopia pads. On some songs, the bass is a bit too much, and not as defined/tight as stock pads. Also, for vocal centric music, the stock pads give a better sound (clarity, airiness, more distinct leading edges; overall a fair bit sweeter top end with stock pads).

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #16,389 of 20,602
Looking for advice on a DAC and AMP under ~1k together to power Utopias. I plan on eventually trying a Chord or DNA but want to wrap my head around the 4K I already spent on the headphones before I do that haha

My goal is the best synergy I can muster at this price point and to try to take the edge off their aggressive attack without losing detail. For example, I listened to them on a Magni Heresy/Modi combo and they were extremely revealing. They outdetailed the Naim Atom and a SimAudio Moon I compared to but this chain was a bit fatiguing while doing that. Any ideas out there?

Nov 5, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #16,390 of 20,602
Looking for advice on a DAC and AMP under ~1k together to power Utopias. I plan on eventually trying a Chord or DNA but want to wrap my head around the 4K I already spent on the headphones before I do that haha

My goal is the best synergy I can muster at this price point and to try to take the edge off their aggressive attack without losing detail. For example, I listened to them on a Magni Heresy/Modi combo and they were extremely revealing. They outdetailed the Naim Atom and a SimAudio Moon I compared to but this chain was a bit fatiguing while doing that. Any ideas out there?
EQ... 😁 costs nothing, takes the edge off with two clicks.

But that's not what you're looking for I suppose... Under 1k I'm thinking maybe RME dac 2 fs. It's a dac amp combo. Don't own it myself though.

Nov 5, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #16,391 of 20,602

Haven’t tried myself but what about a Chord Mojo. Probably see used ones for sale as they’re about to release Mojo2 next year. Mojo was supposed to be closer to the original Hugo sound. I briefly used the Utopia’s with the Hugo and had a nice warm tone. Liked it better than Hugo 2. Only issue with original Hugo was it had a somewhat closed in sound.

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #16,392 of 20,602
Haven’t tried myself but what about a Chord Mojo. Probably see used ones for sale as they’re about to release Mojo2 next year. Mojo was supposed to be closer to the original Hugo sound. I briefly used the Utopia’s with the Hugo and had a nice warm tone. Liked it better than Hugo 2. Only issue with original Hugo was it had a somewhat closed in sound.
+1
Utopia sounds surprisingly good with Mojo.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #16,393 of 20,602
I thought the Utopia sounded fantastic straight out of a Soekris dac1541. Should be able to buy a used one under $1k easy and maybe even it's successor dac2541. The DAC portion is world class and will scale with a separate amp when you want to take that plunge.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #16,394 of 20,602

Schiit Bifrost 2 + Jotunheim/Lyr/Valhalla

I really don't think you can get better for under $1k

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #16,395 of 20,602

What's agressive attack mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back