Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 30, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #16,051 of 20,602
I find you don’t hear the noise itself but when it’s removed, it sounds slightly darker, less bright, bass is easier to follow and soundstage has depth. It’s all very subtle but you’ll hear how you music sounds more engaging. And I don’t think it’s just a placebo because if I had my choice, I would have preferred to sell the streamer and just use directly with the pc.
Thank you for your insights.

Sep 30, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #16,053 of 20,602
IMO it makes the biggest impact on PRaT (pace, rhythm, and timing).

Well that was sort of my reasoning for getting the Naim Uniti Atom HE. They use high quality linear power supply and the streamer, dac, amp are connected internally. If done right, I can see how this could avoid noise issues. Also Naim is know for its PRaT. Chord is know for its timing but somehow that doesn’t fully translate to getting you foot tapping like Naim does.

The Focal Arche is a little less refined but it really makes the Utopia’s fun to listen to. Great impact, good soundstage, nice tone. It was shock that I enjoyed it so much especially coming from the Chord Dave/mscaler. I ended up liking the sound of the Naim more once had more time to burn in and open up its sound.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #16,054 of 20,602
Exactly. Their bass quality is some of the best if not the best I've heard, but people get hung up on quantity. I've experienced more than enough bass when the song has dictated it.
Even more so when paired with the right amp.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #16,055 of 20,602
So after having not used my Utopia for a couple of weeks, the right channel seems to have died on me. :frowning2: It is still on warranty and yes, I've already reached out to the dealer about it and just waiting for their response

I was hoping the issue will autocorrect within the day so I don't have to part ways with it though that would mean something is still faulty inside.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #16,056 of 20,602
Burn in for Utopias. How long & what sort of music please?

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #16,057 of 20,602
Oct 1, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #16,060 of 20,602
Thanks everyone.

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #16,061 of 20,602
Exactly. Their bass quality is some of the best if not the best I've heard, but people get hung up on quantity. I've experienced more than enough bass when the song has dictated it.
This has been my experience as well. Ultimately though, I kept missing more sub-bass presence in the Utopia, when compared to the rest of my collection.

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #16,063 of 20,602
This has been my experience as well. Ultimately though, I kept missing more sub-bass presence in the Utopia, when compared to the rest of my collection.

I came from one of the greatest bass headphones, AT L3000 and the Utopia’s were just too thin on the Hugo 2 in comparison. I was satisfied with them on the Chord Dave. The sound was much fuller. And without direct comparison, I’d say they are at their best with the Naim HE. Now when I play Radiohead’s Burn the Witch song, I can still remember how it sounded on the L3000. They definitely had more bass presence than the Utopia’s even with the Naim HE, but the Utopia’s sound balanced. Not lacking in bass. With the L3000, I never found them too bassy, but I did find them a little too thick, congested sounding at times. Not very airy. I’m sure there are airier headphones but the Utopia sound right to me. At least with the Danacable Lazuli Reference. Just a hint vailed sounding with stock cord.

Now maybe once I attend a head-if meet and compare them against the other top headphones, I’ll have a different opinion since I’ll know how they’d stack up. But for me, their in you face, some what aggressive nature is what I like. Or maybe that’s their nature with that type of music. But in the past at headphone meets, I always tested guitar tracks because I found most couldn’t get the attack and metallic sound right. Most were too soft. The Utopia excel at this.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #16,064 of 20,602
Utopias & Arche have arrived. They sound a bit closed in at the moment, so I've just been running them. The Arche I'm leaving on overnight. The usb connection seems fine.

I wanted to compare balanced & single, but the single cable with the utopias is too small for the socket in the Arche, so I'm using the balanced cable. Any easy fix for testing?

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #16,065 of 20,602
I wanted to compare balanced & single, but the single cable with the utopias is too small for the socket in the Arche,
Sounds like you need to put the adapter on the cable, see bottom left?

43D25732-EB09-4457-8940-5963FDD53C99.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back