Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 23, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #15,811 of 20,602
First few hours with the Utopia. I really like what I hear ... ! :)

It came with the 2016 stock cable though... Not so great in terms of looks and ergonomics. Does anyone have a spare cable I can get off your hands? Any other cable would be better probably... :sweat_smile:

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #15,812 of 20,602
I own both. My desk is in the living room. So which one I listen to depends on the level of background domestic noise. Having said that, my preference is for the Utopia, simply because I prefer open back.
+1 on all of this.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #15,813 of 20,602

It came with the 2016 stock cable though... Not so great in terms of looks and ergonomics. Does anyone have a spare cable I can get off your hands? Any other cable would be better probably... :sweat_smile:

awesome stuff you have. what are you running the Utopia out of? direct from Dave?

i told someone recently, who also has the TC and Susvara (like a few of us), to listen to the Utopia for what it is and just sit back and enjoy its presentation and interpretation of the music, rather than listening to it with the intention to compare technical abilities with the TC and Susvara.

Aug 24, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #15,814 of 20,602
awesome stuff you have. what are you running the Utopia out of? direct from Dave?

i told someone recently, who also has the TC and Susvara (like a few of us), to listen to the Utopia for what it is and just sit back and enjoy its presentation and interpretation of the music, rather than listening to it with the intention to compare technical abilities with the TC and Susvara.
Thanks... Yes, direct from Dave at the moment. I will try from the Formula S today, but I believe the majority here are in favor of direct from the Dave. Let's see. Direct from Dave sounded great on day 1. And yes, that is also how I intend to listen to it. Enjoy and not compare it to others while I am listening to it.

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #15,817 of 20,602

I wouldn't assume that 'any other cable' would be better than the original stock. Balance wise I think that stock cable is pretty good, though it's not particularly spacious sounding.
I needed a long cable, 4-5m. I didn't want to spend a fortune so I tried the Moon Black Dragon (5m).
The BD dumbed down the detail and specialness of the Utopia compared to the 4m stock Focal cable. I returned the BD.
At the moment I'm using a DIY cable built with Canare L4E6S star quad, separate run for each channel.
It sounds very good. Balanced, detailed and more spacious than the Focal cable. But most people wouldn't put up with the ergonomics - its heavy, bulky, a bit microphonic and definitely ugly. :triportsad: The stock cable is positively lithe by comparison!
Up side, since I had plenty of the L4E6S and the Neutrik XLR on hand, is that it only cost me a pair of LEMO connectors.:)
20210718_140026_resized.jpg

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #15,818 of 20,602
I wouldn't assume that 'any other cable' would be better than the original stock. Balance wise I think that stock cable is pretty good, though it's not particularly spacious sounding.
I needed a long cable, 4-5m. I didn't want to spend a fortune so I tried the Moon Black Dragon (5m).
The BD dumbed down the detail and specialness of the Utopia compared to the 4m stock Focal cable. I returned the BD.
At the moment I'm using a DIY cable built with Canare L4E6S star quad, separate run for each channel.
It sounds very good. Balanced, detailed and more spacious than the Focal cable. But most people wouldn't put up with the ergonomics - its heavy, bulky, a bit microphonic and definitely ugly. :triportsad: The stock cable is positively lithe by comparison!
Up side, since I had plenty of the L4E6S and the Neutrik XLR on hand, is that it only cost me a pair of LEMO connectors.:)
I'm using the Black Dragon xlr to the Utopia and I think it sounds really good.... but then again a lot of people have been saying the Utopia's are bass deficient, doesn't seem to be the case for me as well, so I might be the outlier.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #15,819 of 20,602
I'm using the Black Dragon xlr to the Utopia and I think it sounds really good.... but then again a lot of people have been saying the Utopia's are bass deficient, doesn't seem to be the case for me as well, so I might be the outlier.
Yeah, I bought the Black Dragon on the basis of recommendations in this thread and elsewhere so I realize my reaction to the sound is not shared by everyone.
I really wanted to like the sound as the form factor was practical and light.
Alas it didn't work for me in my system and I much preferred the the stock cable (mine is the original 4m cable from 2016). Maybe the characteristics of the BD become more pervasive in the longer lengths?
For some perspective I subsequently bought some Elex pads and found that change less detrimental to the Utopia character than the BD. Actually I really like the Elex pad balance and prefer it in my system. The Elex pads ($60) are something I'd recommend Utopia owners try, particularly those with neutral all SS setups lacking other euphonic tweaks.
BTW I'm not dissing Moon, there was no issue returning the BD so they get a tick from me for that.:thumbsup:

Aug 30, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #15,820 of 20,602
20210830_130943-01.jpeg

Moved the WA33 into the study as I'm working from home this week. One of the best decisions I've made... Almost makes me look forward to working!

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #15,822 of 20,602
Moved the WA33 into the study as I'm working from home this week. One of the best decisions I've made... Almost makes me look forward to working!

Listening to my working from home setup (Naim HE -> Danacable Lazuli Reference + -> Utopia) and the problem isn't so much wanting to work but rather I keep closing my eyes to stop what I'm doing to enjoy the music. It's that good.

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #15,823 of 20,602
@Tanalasta
Any further feedback you can provide on the Naim Atom HE?

I have been a totl Naim 2 channel owner for more than 20 years and am quite intrigues with the HE as a new toy. Many reviews I have read, and many comments from friends on the Naim forum, indicate there is magic between the HE and all Focal headphones (makes sense as the two companies are intertwined).

How are you finding the HE compared to the various Chord DAC's you have in your profile?

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #15,824 of 20,602
@Tanalasta

I have been a totl Naim 2 channel owner for more than 20 years and am quite intrigues with the HE as a new toy. Many reviews I have read, and many comments from friends on the Naim forum, indicate there is magic between the HE and all Focal headphones (makes sense as the two companies are intertwined).

How are you finding the HE compared to the various Chord DAC's you have in your profile?

There's quite a bit of discussion https://www.head-fi.org/threads/naim-audio-uniti-atom-headphone-edition.957720/page-5#post-16532541
@iamoneagain is also another member with extensive experience with the Naim HE and Chord ; and opinions mirrors mine (except more eloquently).

The Naim actually works well with most headphone(s) and nor just Focal. I've auditioned it with LCD-4 ; LCD-4Z ; HE1000SE etc... and own the Empyrean/HD800S/Utopia. It pairs well with all of the above. The stock headphone cable was often the weak point in the audio chain ; not the amp. It was a lot of fun with the LCD-4Z whereas I found the HE1000SE a tad bright.

How am I finding it? Adequate power to drive everything up to the LCD-4. Doesn't quite give Susvara the soundstage/oomph that a speaker amp does.

The TT2 was more technical and precise - i.e. I thought it had a wider soundstage ; separation and space of individual instruments and detail. The sound signature is also different but more difficult to describe. If you're familiar with Chord, well the sound is just Chord. The Naim is relatively neutral, but has a nice weight to it's sound signature without being bloated. It's slightly darker than the TT2. The Naim soundstage is more intimate. But the tuning is enjoyable and engaging.

The I/O ; interface and Roon integration has been very well designed from a human factor/ergonomic perspective. It just works.

My Chord TT2 doesn't really get much time. It's probably done under 20 hours. And when I do get it out, I usually plug the Oriolus Trailii into it. It really comes down to personal preference as to which sound signature you like more. But speaking to my Naim dealer, they're yet to have an unhappy customer. Off record, the Naim HE started cannibalising their other amp/dac sales ...

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #15,825 of 20,602
@Tanalasta

I’ve been posting some of my findings in the Naim HE thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/naim-audio-uniti-atom-headphone-edition.957720/page-5#post-16533067

Users who are viewing this thread

Back