Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 18, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #15,737 of 20,602
HeadAmp ships

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #15,739 of 20,602
Question for the Utopia owners out there who have experience with this gear. Currently, I'm running a Topping A90/D90 stack. The sound of my Shanling M8 is making me think that there's a world out there beyond measurements. If you had a choice between a one-box used Chord Dave + Utopia solution vs. an Yggdrasil 2 + Feliks Euforia SE + Utopia, which way would you go and why? Is either setup going to be a noticeable upgrade over the Topping? Does it make more sense to keep the D90 and just add the Feliks?

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #15,740 of 20,602
Question for the Utopia owners out there who have experience with this gear. Currently, I'm running a Topping A90/D90 stack. The sound of my Shanling M8 is making me think that there's a world out there beyond measurements. If you had a choice between a one-box used Chord Dave + Utopia solution vs. an Yggdrasil 2 + Feliks Euforia SE + Utopia, which way would you go and why? Is either setup going to be a noticeable upgrade over the Topping? Does it make more sense to keep the D90 and just add the Feliks?
In my setup 2 I have the Topping stack and a Euforia. I alternate between amps depending on headphone, music and length of the listening session. The Euforia takes a while to warm up, and is therefore not suitable for shorter sessions.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #15,741 of 20,602
If you listen to higher volumes get the Euforia combo.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #15,742 of 20,602
In my setup 2 I have the Topping stack and a Euforia. I alternate between amps depending on headphone, music and length of the listening session. The Euforia takes a while to warm up, and is therefore not suitable for shorter sessions.
Wow, you've got all the gear! How does the D90 Euforia combo compare to the Dave (direct output) for extended listening sessions?

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #15,743 of 20,602
Wow, you've got all the gear! How does the D90 Euforia combo compare to the Dave (direct output) for extended listening sessions?
I think the best way is to demo and decide for yourself. :D

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #15,745 of 20,602
The Euforia AE is a fantastic amp for the Utopia and will work great with other efficient HPs. I had the standard Euforia and it was my favorite amp with the utopia. Unfortunately it couldn’t power the Susvara or 1266.

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #15,746 of 20,602
I really like the D90 Euforia combo with my closed backs, e.g. the VC. I don't listen to Dave direct all that much, because in my office I usually listen to harder to drive headphones like the TC and Susvara, which require more amplification. The Dave is a fabulous DAC though, and great to listen to direct if the headphone is not too demanding.

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #15,747 of 20,602
I really like the D90 Euforia combo with my closed backs, e.g. the VC. I don't listen to Dave direct all that much, because in my office I usually listen to harder to drive headphones like the TC and Susvara, which require more amplification. The Dave is a fabulous DAC though, and great to listen to direct if the headphone is not too demanding.
Sorry to pester you with questions, but how do you rate the D90 against the DAVE? I saw the Zeos video where after an A/B listening test, he claimed that the Holo May KTE was no different from a $500 DAC. There are those who believe measurements are everything and some who feel the DAC is less important than the amp and cans. As someone who actually owns the high-measuring and the high-priced equipment, you have a uniquely insightful perspective. (Cans-wise, I'm sticking to the Utopia for now, as I travel with them and a DAP, so amp power is not an issue.)

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #15,748 of 20,602
Sorry to pester you with questions, but how do you rate the D90 against the DAVE? I saw the Zeos video where after an A/B listening test, he claimed that the Holo May KTE was no different from a $500 DAC. There are those who believe measurements are everything and some who feel the DAC is less important than the amp and cans. As someone who actually owns the high-measuring and the high-priced equipment, you have a uniquely insightful perspective. (Cans-wise, I'm sticking to the Utopia for now, as I travel with them and a DAP, so amp power is not an issue.)
Always happy to share experiences if I can.. that's what headfi is about. I stopped watching Zeos a long time ago. The Dave is a significant step up. You have to find an opportunity to listen to it and hear for yourself. If your wallet is ready of course.. :)

EDIT: that said, I enjoy the D90 too. A very good DAC for the money. The Dave is not 20 times better. Diminishing returns, clearly..

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #15,750 of 20,602
Very true -- although very few places stock both the DAVE and the Euforia for an A/B. I may have to swing by Upscale Audio next time I'm in SoCal.
Wow, I didn't know Upscale Audio was in LA, I thought it was in Colorado, LOL.. They are selling a lot of really high end stuff, like the 260K big brother Grande Utopia...Maybe I should pay them a visit just to find out how those bad boys sound :beyersmile:
Anyway, IMHO you could start with upgrading your DAC since Utopia does not require tons of power to drive, a lot of ppl here love the sound straight out of DAVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back